Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles comparison with the 2014 NFL Draft class

Quote:For some reason you left Johnny Football off that list.

I know his numbers are pretty bad compared to the other 3, but there were actually posters on this MB who actually wanted Johnny Football ( I know because I read their posts), and he qualifies because he was drafted in 2014, and in the 1st rd at that.

I wanted Manziel. Glad we didn't take him

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Both Carr and Bortles are playing much better than I thought they would.

Bridgewater and Manziel about what I expected, though I admit almost getting sucked into the Manziel hype.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

I wonder how many of those QBs threw the ball past the line of scrimmage.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2016, 10:41 AM by JagsFanSince95.)

Quote:I'm noticing stats like W-L ratio, completion percentage and qb rating are missing here.

Regardless, I agree. Over the past few weeks Bortles has caught up surpassed Carr. Bridgewater has been trailing all along.
in stats alone, kind of. I would take Carr still to this day, but you can't be unhappy with Bortles at all, he is going to be a stud as will Carr. The fact remains Derek Carr has to face some pretty good defenses in the AFCW(Denver 2x, KC 2x) and had a tougher schedule, and was more efficient with the ball. I think it is pretty clear cut Carr is still better at this point, but that is not to say BB5 is far behind or isn't good, they both can ball. Anyone else is the `14 draft at QB is a marginal distance behind Carr and Bortles though, Dave did a great job picking a good QB.

The turf is always greener on ESPN highlight reels.

The thing about Carr is he's actually trending in the opposite direction as Bortles is this season. He started off the season on fire for a second year guy and even had two 4 TD games in his first 8 games of the season and 5 games with a passer rating over 90 and only one game with a passer rating under 80.

In the seven games since then he's had one 3 TD game and the rest of them he was 2 or less and he's had one game with a passer rating over 90 and 5 games under 80. His TD/INT in the last seven games is 12/8.

Looking at the actual stats it's clear that while Carr has done well overall the current perception of him is based mostly on how he played in the first half of the season, which is to some extent the same as what the perception of Bortles is based on, but in a negative way.

Bortles, over the last seven games has had 4 games with a passer rating over 90 with only one game with a passer rating under 80. His TD/INT ratio in those 7 games is 18/6.

Also, I use my passer rating boundaries because of where I consider mediocrity to be in ratings terms. Mediocre games for starting QBs usually fall in the 80s, good games are 90 or higher, and poor games are less than 80.

Quote:Blake Bortles isnt any better than Derek and vice versa. Both can make any throw the other can. Only person that should be taken out of the conversation Teddy Bridgewater dude isnt good. Just riding thr coat tail of AP and that defense
Bridgewater's ceiling is Alex Smith... might take him as long as Smith did to "get it".
No commercial messages in sigs

I'm very happy with Bortles, and I'm happy the Texans didn't take Carr.

The Raiders and Jags are two teams building their team in a very similar fashion. The game we have next season should be on primetime, although it probably won't be.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:The thing about Carr is he's actually trending in the opposite direction as Bortles is this season. He started off the season on fire for a second year guy and even had two 4 TD games in his first 8 games of the season and 5 games with a passer rating over 90 and only one game with a passer rating under 80.

In the seven games since then he's had one 3 TD game and the rest of them he was 2 or less and he's had one game with a passer rating over 90 and 5 games under 80. His TD/INT in the last seven games is 12/8.

Looking at the actual stats it's clear that while Carr has done well overall the current perception of him is based mostly on how he played in the first half of the season, which is to some extent the same as what the perception of Bortles is based on, but in a negative way.

Bortles, over the last seven games has had 4 games with a passer rating over 90 with only one game with a passer rating under 80. His TD/INT ratio in those 7 games is 18/6.

Also, I use my passer rating boundaries because of where I consider mediocrity to be in ratings terms. Mediocre games for starting QBs usually fall in the 80s, good games are 90 or higher, and poor games are less than 80.

Exactly. This is why I'm saying that over the past four weeks Bortles has caught up to and actually surpassed Carr.

'02

Carr is good, Bortles is better. Bortles is much more athletic and not only does he read the field and wait for the open receiver, but he's lethal with his legs. His one of the most dangerous QB in the league in my eyes. 

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2016, 01:05 PM by jagherd.)

Quote:The thing about Carr is he's actually trending in the opposite direction as Bortles is this season. He started off the season on fire for a second year guy and even had two 4 TD games in his first 8 games of the season and 5 games with a passer rating over 90 and only one game with a passer rating under 80.
While this is true, I think it has more to do with the defenses Carr has had to face as compared with the teams Bortles had to play the last few games (Saints, Falcons, Titans, Colts, etc. Not exactly tough defensive competition there).

Due to schedule, Carr has had much tougher defenses to deal with most of the season.

Jaguars faced: (Panthers, Jets, Texans)

Raiders faced: (Bengals, Jets, Vikings, Chiefs X2, Broncos X2, Bears/Lions-not sure how their defenses looked)

Having said that, I'd still take Bortles every time, and am glad he's a Jaguar.

Quote:Carr is good, Bortles is better. Bortles is much more athletic and not only does he read the field and wait for the open receiver, but he's lethal with his legs. His one of the most dangerous QB in the league in my eyes.

I really cant say one is better than the other but I know both are better than Bridgewater

Quote:While this is true, I think it has more to do with the defenses Carr has had to face as compared with the teams Bortles had to play the last few games (Saints, Falcons, Titans, Colts, etc. Not exactly tough defensive competition there).

Due to schedule, Carr has had much tougher defenses to deal with most of the season.

Having said that, I'd still take Bortles every time, and am glad he's a Jaguar.

Bortles faced his toughest defensive tests early in the season (panthers, texans, patriots, jets, bucs are all top ten defenses) and Carr is facing his tougher ones now.

Quote:I wonder how many of those QBs threw the ball past the line of scrimmage.
The internet is a very big place! Instead of posting stupid sarcastic questions,maybe you could take some time to find the anwser?

Quote:Carr takes care of the ball better? Watching the cut-ups each week, he's been throwing a lot INTs lately. Over the last four weeks Bortles has 13 TDs and 3 INTs where Carr has 7 TDs and 6 INTs.
Yup and on the year Bortles only have 4 more ints while Bortles pass the ball a lot more the Carr

Bortles is the better QB

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:Exactly. This is why I'm saying that over the past four weeks Bortles has caught up to and actually surpassed Carr.
He seems to have adopted the "team on my shoulders" mentality.Started to really see it when Cooper hit that invisible wall that hits most rookies after 10 games or so.

Quote:The internet is a very big place! Instead of posting stupid sarcastic questions,maybe you could take some time to find the anwser?

Instead of replying to stupid sarcastic questions, why not look it up for me?

Quote:All the talking heads say Carr is the best. All I do is laugh.

Bortles is on another level.
I agree.  I do think Carr is good, but he has a way better defense and team than Bortles.  I mean the dude has Amari Cooper to throw to.  Also, Khalil Mack is a beast.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

LOL....Fallen into the BAD TEAM trap of meaningless Stats.  A bunch passing yards when you are behind by big deficits are meaningless.  That is Bortles for much of the season.  #2......Both Oakland and Minny have top 5 rushers in the league (#5 and #1 respectively).  They dont have to throw as much.   Completion percentage......The 2 other QBs have higher completion percentages.   LOL. 

Never fails......I understand you love your QB....but until he able to do it on a team that actually has a chance to win more than 5 games.........you dont know how good he his.  

Quote:LOL....Fallen into the BAD TEAM trap of meaningless Stats.  A bunch passing yards when you are behind by big deficits are meaningless.  That is Bortles for much of the season.  #2......Both Oakland and Minny have top 5 rushers in the league (#5 and #1 respectively).  They dont have to throw as much.   Completion percentage......The 2 other QBs have higher completion percentages.   LOL. 

Never fails......I understand you love your QB....but until he able to do it on a team that actually has a chance to win more than 5 games.........you dont know how good he his.  

I agree the wins have to come but in almost all the games Bortles has played he has given us a chance to win. We were never down big with the exception of a few games. I do think Bortles has to pick up his completion percentage and cut down on the ill timed turnovers but I belive he will when this offense becomes more balanced and he has another off season to study the game. You don't go from 11 TD's to 35 in just garbage time. The guy has a lot of strengths to build on and I think he will be very good in the future.