Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who are the building blocks on defense and who to replace?

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 07:41 PM by jaguarmvp.)

Defensive line:  Marks and Hopefully Fowler(keep).  Every othter dlineman Is a backup

LB: Telvin Smith(keep). Poz is an ok veteran.  Nobody else worth talking about

CB:  House and Colvin(keep).  The rest are backup bums

Safety: No current building blocks.  Evan and Brown are as average as they come and Cyprien is just a bad SS.  Horrible instincts, wrong angles, bad tackler, and bad in coverage

Looks like Dave is going to have to open up the check book this offseason for the defense.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I see it similar.

Marks is the cornerstone on the line.

Odrick, Telvin, Colvin, and Cyprien I keep around.  But I still bring in real competition for them all.

We still seem to be in a position where we are free to choose BAP, IF we choose to do so this time.  Other than taking a QB early, there really isn't much we couldn't use in any round.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Roy miller is a borderline elite nose tackle.

Roy Miller is legit

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 08:15 PM by Predator_NFLFans.)

Quote:Roy miller is a borderline elite nose tackle.
I agree, he's a good player... but he doesn't effect the game like Wilfork, Hampton, and Williams used to. He's good enough to start for us again next season though.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Roy Miller is legit
Roy Miller is a backup DT on most teams. 

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 08:27 PM by Predator_NFLFans.)

DL: Fowler, Marks, Miller, Odrick, roleplayers: Davis, Jones, Bennett

Alualu and Chris Smith probably are keepers, although I wouldn't miss them if we can find better players, because they arent good enough to guarantee roster spots. We still need two more LEOS and probably another DT, although DT isn't a huge need going into the offseason. Eventually, we need to get a dominator inside (Henderson/Stroud like players) . LEO needs an overhaul.

LB : The only true keeper is Telvin, although Poz can be useful for another season or two, or until we draft a guy to take his spot. Skuta would be a good rotational guy with versatility, but I don't think he should be starting. Give me another OTTO.

CB: House and Colvin are pretty solid players, but I still feel we need a #1 CB. Get Gratz off this roster... Dude is useless.

S: We have a bunch of strong safeties manning both safety positions. Give me a FS with good range, and let Evans, Sample, Cyp, and Brown compete for the starting SS spot.

Ultimately, it all starts up front. We lack the ability to win the LOS, so we really need to improve the front 7. I expect 10-12 new defensive players to be brought in during free agency and the draft, with a big focus on LEO.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 08:27 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Smith, Colvin, House, Marks, and Fowler. The rest could be replaced with Publix employees and there would be no difference in performance.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 08:31 PM by BassX97.)

Quote:I agree, he's a good player... but he doesn't effect the game like Wilfork, Hampton, and Williams used to. He's good enough to start for us again next season though.

Injuries worry me about Miller. If that doesn't get in the way, He'll be alright. As far as the thread:

To build around: Marks, Smith, Colvin, Cyprien (Sorry, I need to see this guy when we have a legit pass rush and hes able to freestyle the field), Fowler. 

To replace: Evans, Poz (Father time will take him soon), Alualu, Clemons (Hes completely out of gas), House, Skuta, Odrick, Branch, Chris Smith

Help is on the way at DE and Caldwell will turn his gaze to the defense. We also just might have Poz's replacement already on the roster. Tripp stood out while watching the games he was filling in for Poz. The perfect example of a Jar on the shelf guy who emerges. 

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Quote:DL: Fowler, Marks, Miller, Odrick, roleplayers: Davis, Jones, Bennett

Alualu and Chris Smith probably are keepers, although I wouldn't miss them if we can find better players, because they arent good enough to guarantee roster spots. We still need two more LEOS and probably another DT, although DT isn't a huge need going into the offseason. Eventually, we need to get a dominator inside (Henderson/Stroud like players) . LEO needs an overhaul.
Going with this setup there is no room for replacement players.  That is 6-7 players you want to keep from this years line.  Granted you hope Marks comes back healthy and Fowler is legit.  I personally believe they should draft De high in this years draft.  Most of those keepers have played heavily this year and has not gotten it done. 

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 08:34 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

Quote:Going with this setup there is no room for replacement players. That is 6-7 players you want to keep from this years line. Granted you hope Marks comes back healthy and Fowler is legit. I personally believe they should draft De high in this years draft. Most of those keepers have played heavily this year and has not gotten it done.
Agree, and a good pass rusher makes everybody else better exponentially.

Heck, I'd go OL and secondary in free agency and draft a DE in all 7 rounds.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 08:37 PM by BassX97.)

Quote:Agree, and a good pass rusher makes everybody else better exponentially.

Heck, I'd go OL and secondary in free agency and draft a DE in all 7 rounds.

You can never have enough Dlinemen drafted but that..actually might be too much. We need more depth on both lines. Its time to start drafting the big guys first. I'd like to see caldwell also make a few risky shots for RB/Linebacker as well

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Quote:Going with this setup there is no room for replacement players. That is 6-7 players you want to keep from this years line. Granted you hope Marks comes back healthy and Fowler is legit. I personally believe they should draft De high in this years draft. Most of those keepers have played heavily this year and has not gotten it done.

It's because I think this defense will take two offseason to fix, honestly. Guys like Odrick, Miller, Davis, Jones, and Bennett will be good to have around next year, for depth purposes. In Ryan Davis' case, he's versatile and good to have on the roster. I still feel we should add like 4 or 5 new linemen. If Gus wants to keep running this scheme, we need a plethora of pass rushers.

Quote:You can never have enough Dlinemen drafted but that..actually might be too much. We need more depth on both lines. Its time to start drafting the big guys first. I'd like to see caldwell also make a few risky shots for RB/Linebacker as well

I was kidding, kind of, but was playing the law of statistics that one of them would pan out.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 08:41 PM by wg171.)

IMO the Jags need 4 new starters on defense

Pass rushing left end

Outside corner

Ball hawk free safety

Otto linebacker (must be able to play the run, rush the passer, and have coverage skills...all equally well)

To add on to my last post, I don't know much about the upcoming draft, but from what I understand, defensive line (pass rushers) will be thin. Everyone past Bosa seems to be risky.

Quote:I was kidding, kind of, but was playing the law of statistics that one of them would pan out.
I agree with you, all defense in the draft... MAYBE sneak in an OL in the mid rounds.

Quote:To add on to my last post, I don't know much about the upcoming draft, but from what I understand, defensive line (pass rushers) will be thin. Everyone past Bosa seems to be risky.
How is this years db class?

Quote:How is this years db class?
Seems to be the strength of the defensive side of the ball. I just look at the first round though. If Ramsey has great range, that's who I'll probably lean towards... Bosa most likely won't be there at our pick.

Quote:To add on to my last post, I don't know much about the upcoming draft, but from what I understand, defensive line (pass rushers) will be thin. Everyone past Bosa seems to be risky.

No mattter what, there will be a strong secondary pick available wether it be VH or J. Ramsey. Both of those are massive upgrades to what we currently have right out of the block.