Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who are the building blocks on defense and who to replace?

On a side note,let's hope the tacks take Bosa and continue to let MM get killed.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No mattter what, there will be a strong secondary pick available wether it be VH or J. Ramsey. Both of those are massive upgrades to what we currently have right out of the block.
Give me Ramsey, if he has great range.
No commercial messages in sigs

Colvin and House are good enough to not spend a first round pick at CB. I'd prefer a DE or DT as our first pick with FS being another decent choice. The biggest priority is simply a solid first round choice no matter what position. So much to be determined as far as what we are realistically going to be able to pick. I'd absolutely love Ramsey being the guy however. Not as big on Vernon Hargreaves as others tho

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Outside of Bosa I currently don't see a DE that I really care for with a top 10 pick

Odrick doesn't need to be replaced.

I would love Myles Jack if he wasn't coming off a torn ACL.

Quote:Roy Miller is a backup DT on most teams.
We must be watching different NFLs.

Quote:Odrick doesn't need to be replaced.

Ikr...

Leads the team in sacks.

Neither does Poz or Miller or Marks or well....Fowler

Telvin

Fowler (only because we haven't seen him and because he's a 1st round pick)

Sample(looked promising for the few games before he went out)

Miller

Marks

House

Odrick(good "big" DE/3 tech DT)

Quote:Colvin and House are good enough to not spend a first round pick at CB. I'd prefer a DE or DT as our first pick with FS being another decent choice. The biggest priority is simply a solid first round choice no matter what position. So much to be determined as far as what we are realistically going to be able to pick. I'd absolutely love Ramsey being the guy however. Not as big on Vernon Hargreaves as others tho

I completely disagree.  Gus Bradley thinks of Colvin as a slot corner.  on third downs he brings in a third corner to play outside.   I think in the long term Bradley wants to keep Colvin at nickel and Bring in another long corner to start on the outside (Jalen Ramsey).  I hear you on DE, but in our scheme you have the Leo and then the 4 technique.  you just spent a #3 on Fowler last year.  I wouldn't take a 4 technique end or even a 3 technique DT with the first (although that could change if we win on sunday and get pushed to the bottom of the top ten.  

Quote:I agree, he's a good player... but he doesn't effect the game like Wilfork, Hampton, and Williams used to. He's good enough to start for us again next season though.

okay so that's three guys.  For the longest time we lead the league in ypc allowed and he was a huge reason for that.  Nose Tackle isn't the problem, it was the death of the 3 technique (Marks going down) and the alien abduction of our defensive ends (Not counting Odrick who actually over achieved for his position).  

Quote:okay so that's three guys. For the longest time we lead the league in ypc allowed and he was a huge reason for that. Nose Tackle isn't the problem, it was the death of the 3 technique (Marks going down) and the alien abduction of our defensive ends (Not counting Odrick who actually over achieved for his position).
No doubt, he's a good player, especially when Marks is on the field

Quote:Defensive line:  Marks and Hopefully Fowler(keep).  Every othter dlineman Is a backup

LB: Telvin Smith(keep). Poz is an ok veteran.  Nobody else worth talking about

CB:  House and Colvin(keep).  The rest are backup bums

Safety: No current building blocks.  Evan and Brown are as average as they come and Cyprien is just a bad SS.  Horrible instincts, wrong angles, bad tackler, and bad in coverage

Looks like Dave is going to have to open up the check book this offseason for the defense.

That's the way I see it, too. 

However, I think we can make a major improvement next year with possibly just one position upgrade (assuming Fowler and Marks both play well), and that is, free safety.    I think that if all our players are healthy and on the field, our weakest position by far is free safety. 

If we line up with:

Fowler

Miller

Marks

Odrick

Skuta

Poz

Telvin

House

Colvin

Cyprien

Evans or Brown? 

The weakest spot to me by far is free safety, Evans or Brown.  

Marks is a good player, but hasn't he got hurt in each of the last two seasons? I know that they were separate injuries, but we can't have the same players injuring themselves every year. I'm by no means advocating for his departure. I just think we definitely need more defensive lineman in case Marks gets injured again next year.

Quote:Marks is a good player, but hasn't he got hurt in each of the last two seasons? I know that they were separate injuries, but we can't have the same players injuring themselves every year. I'm by no means advocating for his departure. I just think we definitely need more defensive lineman in case Marks gets injured again next year.

Seems like a weak defensive line draft, otherwise I'd advocate bringing in a penetrating DT.

I would keep any rookie from this year that includes Fowler, Bennett, Sample, and Marshall.  Then I would keep the following players

DL Marks, Ordrick

LB Poz, Smith

DB Cyprien, House, and Colvin

The rest are potential players to be replaced

Quote:Roy Miller is legit
Takes on double teams often..Cyp really does have to figure his sh*t out though.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:How is this years db class?
Safety is not top heavy, but there are a lot of good CBs, I would say 5 or 6 that will go in the 1st round

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:Seems like a weak defensive line draft, otherwise I'd advocate bringing in a penetrating DT.
As far as top ten picks its prob only 2 DL I would draft, but outside of the top ten its a pretty deep DL draft 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:As far as top ten picks its prob only 2 DL I would draft, but outside of the top ten its a pretty deep DL draft

Hopefully we can add a good one in the 2nd, then.