Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The fade route

It's Bortles worst throw and we call it constantly. I don't understand.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It works in practice against that defense. Only excuse I can think of.

Season is over so practice it against competition? Only thing I can think of
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

2nd in TD passes. Could potentially end the season as most TD passes.

put two garbage cans in both back corners of the endzone and have BB5 throw untill he makes 100 in  a row into each one.

Quote:2nd in TD passes. Could potentially end the season as most TD passes.

What does this have to do with the fade

The OP is nit picking.

It's like me saying I have 5 hot rods but my Z06 Corvette is the worst one.

Garrard could never throw the fade either.

Yet, we're still in far better shape at QB.  Night and day.

So... I wouldn't worry about that.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:The OP is nit picking.

Not really. I'm questioning the playcalling. He can't throw the fade at all, he just always overthrows it. For some reason we waste a down in the redzone for it. We have like 3 bodies over 6 foot 2 and we call a fade to a 5 foot 11 Greene in the endzone last Sunday.

Quote:Not really. I'm questioning the playcalling. He can't throw the fade at all, he just always overthrows it. For some reason we waste a down in the redzone for it. We have like 3 bodies over 6 foot 2 and we call a fade to a 5 foot 11 Greene in the endzone last Sunday.

I read it wrong. Yeah the red zone play calling was bad the first 8 games. It's been ok the rest of the way. Linder will be back next year so Yeldon can start scoring down in the red zone.

Don't base it on height. I've seen short guys dunk basketballs all over tall guys time and time again.

Quote:I read it wrong. Yeah the red zone play calling was bad the first 8 games. It's been ok the rest of the way. Linder will be back next year so Yeldon can start scoring down in the red zone.

Don't base it on height. I've seen short guys dunk basketballs all over tall guys time and time again.

The problem is with the fade that ball is gonna float and if you have a lengthy DB on a small receiver the odds are not in your favor to win that match-up. It's the reason why fades tend to be thrown to tight ends or guys like AR15 with the ability to get vertical.

I think people are forgetting the fade route is actually one of the harder throws in the NFL to complete. Having an extremely tall/sturdy target is just the entry cost for it, Doesn't mean you are even supposed to get it right even over 50% of the time. I have to admit my frustration when seeing it considering its low percentage of success but what else are you going to do that close to the goaline? Run it 4 times? HB pitch? WR cross route? QB sneak? lol The options are all very limited. 

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Quote:The problem is with the fade that ball is gonna float and if you have a lengthy DB on a small receiver the odds are not in your favor to win that match-up. It's the reason why fades tend to be thrown to tight ends or guys like AR15 with the ability to get vertical.

It's a 1 on 1 play. The odds are better than you think. It's one of the toughest throws and the WR has to create separation and use his vertical skills.

It's not abnormal for a guy like Greene to out jump a CB that's taller.

The CB has to chase the receiver and make a play on the ball.

I don't see a big deal with the play call, but execution is the key.

But I see what you're saying.

Sometimes the route being crisp is more important than just using raw skills and trying to simply out jump a guy.

In other news the jags are 12 of their last 13 in the red zone. On the one miss the consesus is that they should have thrown... The fade!

Quote:The OP is nit picking.

It's more like saying I have four Corvette's and one Yugo.

'02

Quote:In other news the jags are 12 of their last 13 in the red zone. On the one miss the consesus is that they should have thrown... The fade!

I don't know who makes up that consensus, but their conclusion in this case is a bad one because Blake can't make that throw.

'02

Yes he can. He made it the next series of downs in the red zone. He needs to get a lot more consistent but with AR15 it doesnt have to be great.

Quote:I don't know who makes up that consensus, but their conclusion in this case is a bad one because Blake can't make that throw.

YOU said he made that throw 3 times.

Make your mind up.

http://nflbreakdowns.com/blake-bortles-1...in-2014/3/

Look at the last play at the bottom.

Definitely needs work. Bortles seems to struggle to get air under the ball so the throw is really flat. This prevents the WR from being able to catch the ball at its highest point and benefits the DB.

Something Blake can improve on that will elevate his game even more.
"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"