Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles seriously underrated?

While the board was down I came across this article

https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/is-bl...elite-mook

It goes over the ups and downs of Bortles play so far. That article specifically did not interest me too much, but it was the article it led me to that did. 

http://www.footballperspective.com/how-l...break-out/

This asks the question how long does it take for a great QB to break out? It comes to the conclusion that, barring outstanding circumstances, the minimum should be two years. That typically QBs who have terrible rookie seasons don't usually come back to be good.

Reading articles like this really makes me think about how impressive it is what Blake has been able to do just to survive these first two years, and just how underrated he is. How many QBs do you think would have survived what Bortles has been put through? 95% of them would have been crushed. He was a project coming out of college and wasn't supposed to start and was not prepared to start. He is thrust in 3 games into the season behind the worst O-Line in the league, surrounded by a bunch of rookie receivers and the only "vet" was constantly hurt, no legit pass catching tight end, and Toby Gerhart and Denard Robinson as his running backs. I would call that, as that article puts it, an outstanding circumstance.

Then to come back this year and improve as much as he has is nothing short of incredible. The fact he's made it through 29 games behind this O-Line without ever missing a snap is incredible. I can almost guarantee any other QB would have been hurt by now. Mariota would have been on a stretcher here. I can name probably 3 QBs in the league right now who would have been able to survive the situation here and come out unscathed from it, and those are Cam, Luck, and Jameis. And I'm not sure if even any of them would have gotten BETTER after it, let alone significantly so. The more I think about it the more I think the national media's stance on Bortles is crazy. This guy has potential to be really good considering what he's had given to him these two years and what he's been able to achieve as a player despite it. Put a line in front of this guy and a defense behind him and I bet he will be unquestionably a top 5, not just top 10, QB. He's shown that kind of moxy and mental fortitude that I believe he will get there someday and someday soon.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Now if only Bortles could throw a fade pass.

'02

Quote:Now if only Bortles could throw a fade pass.

At this time last year, he had almost no strengths. This year, you gotta nitpick to find the weaknesses. Amazing improvement, and it makes you think that this guy will keep improving. For sure, we have our franchise qb. He needs to improve the fade, short passing game, which will improve his completion percentage, and he really needs to improve at reading defenses and getting the offense into the right protection/play. Thankfully, I think he can do it.
No commercial messages in sigs

Blake seems very self motivated,that I'm sure he'll work hard in the offseason on things he can improve on.

I think Bortles is as good now because he has games under his belt

The whole sit and learn never has made sense to me. So much for ruining him...

Quote:I think Bortles is as good now because he has games under his belt

The whole sit and learn never has made sense to me. So much for ruining him...

Well, it's one thing to sit and learn behind a really really good QB/great QB/HOF QB, but quite another to sit behind a QB like Chad Henne.

There is a big difference.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Well, it's one thing to sit and learn behind a really really good QB/great QB/HOF QB, but quite another to sit behind a QB like Chad Henne.

There is a big difference.

True. Learning behind a Joe Montana or Brett Farve will only help a young QB. Learning behind Chad Henne is a waste of time.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Speaking of Henne, the guy is a UFA after this season. I'm thinking we let him walk and look for a replacement backup QB.

'02

I'm sorry but I don't think who you sit and backup makes any difference. They aren't coaches, and someone like Favre with his ego would hardly be that beneficial.

Hardly a qb factory coming from backing up Manning and Brady. If Henne was a big name people would be crediting him for Bortles development. It's utter rubbish.

Quote:While the board was down I came across this article

https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/is-bl...elite-mook

It goes over the ups and downs of Bortles play so far. That article specifically did not interest me too much, but it was the article it led me to that did. 

http://www.footballperspective.com/how-l...break-out/

This asks the question how long does it take for a great QB to break out? It comes to the conclusion that, barring outstanding circumstances, the minimum should be two years. That typically QBs who have terrible rookie seasons don't usually come back to be good.

Reading articles like this really makes me think about how impressive it is what Blake has been able to do just to survive these first two years, and just how underrated he is. How many QBs do you think would have survived what Bortles has been put through? 95% of them would have been crushed. He was a project coming out of college and wasn't supposed to start and was not prepared to start. He is thrust in 3 games into the season behind the worst O-Line in the league, surrounded by a bunch of rookie receivers and the only "vet" was constantly hurt, no legit pass catching tight end, and Toby Gerhart and Denard Robinson as his running backs. I would call that, as that article puts it, an outstanding circumstance.

Then to come back this year and improve as much as he has is nothing short of incredible. The fact he's made it through 29 games behind this O-Line without ever missing a snap is incredible. I can almost guarantee any other QB would have been hurt by now. Mariota would have been on a stretcher here. I can name probably 3 QBs in the league right now who would have been able to survive the situation here and come out unscathed from it, and those are Cam, Luck, and Jameis. And I'm not sure if even any of them would have gotten BETTER after it, let alone significantly so. The more I think about it the more I think the national media's stance on Bortles is crazy. This guy has potential to be really good considering what he's had given to him these two years and what he's been able to achieve as a player despite it. Put a line in front of this guy and a defense behind him and I bet he will be unquestionably a top 5, not just top 10, QB. He's shown that kind of moxy and mental fortitude that I believe he will get there someday and someday soon.

The first link is somewhat interesting, but it's telling that the bad throws the writer finds to illustrate his problem with Bortles are all from the first half of this season. Bortles play from a statistical point of view has picked up very strongly after the first colts game. In fact I think his passer rating has gone up about 10 points since then and his biggest problem with short routes right now is the constant drops from Nard-dogg and ridiculously bad play selection on WR screens.

Quote:At this time last year, he had almost no strengths. This year, you gotta nitpick to find the weaknesses.
No and no.  It's great to see improvement, but let's be real.

Here's a couple of weaknesses.He can't throw the fade in the red zone, blitz pick up,and locking on to receivers

He must throw an unbelievable fade in practice because it's borderline lunacy that Olson keeps making that call.  Please, stop!

He makes a lot of stupid mistakes still. He's up and coming though, and I'm convinced he's "The Guy"

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

No he's rated correctly. He's made huge strides but he's also 2nd in INTs, 4th in sacks (3 QBs are tied with one more than him), and 1st in fumbles. The negative plays have to go way down next year.

Quote:No and no. It's great to see improvement, but let's be real.
To each his own. It's night and day, is all I'm saying. If we are being real, reality says we have our franchise qb to build around. The poor qb play of the last 15 years makes Jaguars fans pessimistic about any positivity, let alone positivity surrounding the most difficult position to play in all of sports. I feel it's nit picking to constantly bash Bortles when he's the only reason we were in games at all this season. We were a one dimensional offense with a porous offensive line, and he still put up guady, franchise record-breaking stats. If that doesn't impress you, then I don't know what will.
No commercial messages in sigs

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 11:47 AM by jaglawyer.)

Why replace Henne?

"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Quote:Why replace Henne?

The question isn't why replace Henne, the question is, what does Henne provide the team that a cheaper guy wouldn't?

Seems Henne's most significant contribution is high fiving Bortles when he comes off the field, I'm sure they could find an intern to take care of that, and if it's being Bortles good buddy that matters then I doubt not bringing him back for his several million dollars a year would stop them being good buddies.

Quote:No he's rated correctly. He's made huge strides but he's also 2nd in INTs, 4th in sacks (3 QBs are tied with one more than him), and 1st in fumbles. The negative plays have to go way down next year.
agreed. What i do when if i have any concerns about Blake or the direction of this offense, is watch a San Fran game with gabbert starting. i generally feel a whole lot better afterwards.

Quote:Speaking of Henne, the guy is a UFA after this season. I'm thinking we let him walk and look for a replacement backup QB.

I wouldn't mind bringing Henne back if only for the image of him and Bortles celebrating on the sideline, they seem to have a good rapport with each other.  I mean if BB5 goes down we're hosed, but hopefully that doesnt happen.