Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags should lock Bortles up now

You need to use the CBA/NFL wage system to your advantage.   If a guy is deserving, he will get paid very well down the road.  No need to take away today's salary cap and actual dollars budgeted towards other areas of needed improvement to the roster.    

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It would be against the CBA

EXTEND EVERYONE!

AR15

Hurns

Bortles..

hell... while we're at it.. Yeldon....

Quote:EXTEND EVERYONE!

AR15

Hurns

Bortles..

hell... while we're at it.. Yeldon....

I corrected your post.

'02

Quote:I corrected your post.
I was being purposefully snide.

We don't NEED to extend...wait for it,........

anyone.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/j...e-jaguars/

There is the list of guys up for free agency

Who do we need to lock up right now? No one. Lewis? Walters? Davis?

Meh.

Hurns is the only guy on the 2017 FA list that will NEED to be locked up. Maybe Joker.

We don't have any need to rush into signing guys into extended contracts based on one year of production.

Quote:I was being purposefully snide.

anyone.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/j...e-jaguars/

Meh.

Hurns is the only guy on the 2017 FA list that will NEED to be locked up. Maybe Joker.

We don't have any need to rush into signing guys into extended contracts based on one year of production.

We really do need to extend Hurns. There's no reason to even risk him hitting free agency after the season.

'02

Quote:I was being purposefully snide.

anyone.
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/jacksonville-jaguars/'>http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/jacksonville-jaguars/</a>

Meh.

The Joke can take a hike. On 4th down a couple weeks ago the dude gave up a sack to end the game. Dude sucks.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:We really do need to extend Hurns. There's no reason to even risk him hitting free agency after the season.
there is no risk.

He's an RFA.

Quote:The Joke can take a hike. On 4th down a couple weeks ago the dude gave up a sack to end the game. Dude sucks.

Solid player and won't cost us a fortune.  You have to see him with improvements to the interior.  He is good for one to two bad plays a game.  He needs to get stronger and further removed from those feet/leg issues.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:there is no risk.

He's an RFA.

Good point, although if they don't they'll need to be prepared to use the top tender on him.

'02

Quote:Good point, although if they don't they'll need to be prepared to use the top tender on him.
Maybe....

I suppose it is a risk, he could have an even better year (1200, 15 TDs?) but wouldn't that be a good problem to have? We have the cap room, thanks to Dave. Even if he costs a little more, the wait is worth it.

What if he gets injured in the offseason? What if he never comes close to 1k 10 TDs again?

Don't pay him just yet. And if he costs a little more in the end, so be it.

By the time AR15's contract talks roll around, Caldwell likely has moved more money, and we won't be hurting to get him signed.

Quote:Some folks sure are in a rush to spend Shad's money to get the team into a tight cap situation. Would you rather spend the money on Blake when you really have no reason to or someone like Von Miller, Josh Norman, or whoever makes it to free agency?

The best thing about reading this is that I think finally free agents could possibly want to come here because of the progress this team is making. I could see someone holding out of offers of their current team and making a risk play here for once. 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:Good point, although if they don't they'll need to be prepared to use the top tender on him.

Anyone thinking Hurns will be playing for another team next year is beyond disbelief. Borderline [BLEEP] if not fully blown. 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

It makes since to extend one or two eligible players soon to prevent a "pile-up" the following year(s).

Hurns seems a likely candidate for a front loaded deal.

I'd wait on the other second year guys.

I'm not sure who they will draft but I hope they extend him right away

As others said, they can't.  But I doubt they do it even next year unless he is the league MVP and just kills it in the stat area too.  It's not like Bortles is only making 200k a year and they're going to want to see continual improvement and consistency before he gets paid 25M a year.

Lack of business acumen is strong in this thread.
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

Quote:Anyone thinking Hurns will be playing for another team next year is beyond disbelief. Borderline [BLEEP] if not fully blown. 

Well...

Say he doesn't land an extension this offseason and hits free agency... Jaguars then slap the highest tender on him to ensure he stays which would require a first and a third round pick if someone signs him with the Jaguars still having the right of first refusal...

Should someone else then sign him to an extremely lucrative contract designed to make it tough for the Jaguars to match

Suddenly there's a tough decision to make...

Do you match the contract and keep Hurns, or let him go and take their first and third round picks for a guy we found in undrafted free agency?

'02

At this point I'd take the 1st and 3rd picks for him.

Quote:At this point I'd take the 1st and 3rd picks for him.

Not me. He's worth a 1st and 3rd to this team.

Now we are left just trying to replace a 1k, 10 TD player.

It's irrelevant anyway. He will be extended this offseason.