Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Letting Doug Marrone go to keep Bradley a year will be a mistake

I don't think anyone expects Bradley to be able to turn this around other than the people in Everbank. Marrone will be hired by some team this year and we are going to regret it. He took a team quarterbacked by EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton with Fred Jackson at running back to a 9-7 record and just missed the playoffs. 

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I agree with this.

I've been saying to fire Gus, promote Marrone and let him bring in his own DC.

Could have gave him a look as interim coach and nothing would have been lost if it didnt work out. 

What exactly has he done again? The Jags are currently 25th in the league in sacks given up. Replacing mediocre with mediocre isn't exactly a winning formula.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:What exactly has he done again? The Jags are currently 25th in the league in sacks given up. Replacing mediocre with mediocre isn't exactly a winning formula.

More wins than Bradley in 3 years and he'd most likely keep the offensive staff together.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:What exactly has he done again? The Jags are currently 25th in the league in sacks given up. Replacing mediocre with mediocre isn't exactly a winning formula.
Gus has 4 more career wins in his than Marrone had in just one season. Also Bortles has sacked himself a lot, along with Yeldon. The line itself has probably only given up around 29 sacks, and most of those are on Beadles.

Quote:More wins than Bradley in 3 years and he'd most likely keep the offensive staff together.

Setting a real high bar there.

Sorry, but I have to question the logic here when the guy some of you dream of coaching this team quit his last gig.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Setting a real high bar there.

Sorry, but I have to question the logic here when the guy some of you dream of coaching this team quit his last gig.

He had the option in his contract and new management was coming in, right?

Quit isn't exactly what I would call it.

Quote:He had the option in his contract and new management was coming in, right?

Quit isn't exactly what I would call it.

When you opt out of a contract, you're resigning. Polish that turd any way you wish. He quit.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I'm sure there was a good reason for it. Maybe he knew he was on the out anyway. If JDR shutting down here stopped Oakland from hiring him they would not have made so much progress this year.

Quote:When you opt out of a contract, you're resigning. Polish that turd any way you wish. He quit.
Isn't Bradley a turd that some are polishing around here?

Quote:When you opt out of a contract, you're resigning. Polish that turd any way you wish. He quit.

I guess.

He made a pretty smart business move and took advantage of a poorly written contract.

I don't know exactly why he opted out in Buffalo.  They changed owners and I'd guess that had something to do with it.

He had the option to opt out, still get paid $4 million and not have his next salary count against that $4 million.  He's now going to be inline for another HC job I would guess.  Early reports is he's on the short list in Philly.

Again, smart business if he wasn't truly happy there.  They gave him that option to walk away and he took it.

I don't blame him.

Quote:Isn't Bradley a turd that some are polishing around here?

That's irrelevant. If was an opportunity to upgrade head coach, Marrone would be pretty low on my list. Opining the fact that some other team might hire him this off season because we aren't getting rid of Bradley seems like wasted energy. If and when the team moves on from Bradley, I'd hope they'd aim a little higher. Maybe you're okay with setting a low bar?

Quote:That's irrelevant. If was an opportunity to upgrade head coach, Marrone would be pretty low on my list. Opining the fact that some other team might hire him this off season because we aren't getting rid of Bradley seems like wasted energy. If and when the team moves on from Bradley, I'd hope they'd aim a little higher. Maybe you're okay with setting a low bar?
I don't want Marrone at all. And if I had my choice, it would be Hue Jackson but that's moot now.

I don't want Gus back but I think we all knew he was gonna be here in 2016.

Let's hope Caldwell brings in so much talent that not even Gus can screw it up.

I don't want Marrone promoted, but I don't see how him leaving Buffalo should really be an indictment of him as a coach. He didn't see eye to eye with the GM and had an option in his contract to leave and he took advantage of it. That's business.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 12:23 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

I wonder how Morrone feels about the talent on this oline? If Dave teels him we will go after Mack could that have a factor in his decision?

Quote:I'm sure there was a good reason for it. Maybe he knew he was on the out anyway. If JDR shutting down here stopped Oakland from hiring him they would not have made so much progress this year.

I'm not taking a shot at JDR.   However,  in fairness to Gus Bradley,  if Khalil Mack was in Jacksonville,  not Oakland,   the two ascending teams records could easily have been reversed.    The primary difference between the Raiders and Jags in 2015 is Mack's differential skills,  especially as a pass rusher.

I'm not promoting the OP's idea, but the line is obviously better than it was last season. We've went from 71 sacks allowed to 43 sacks allowed with one game left to play. Get Beadles out of there and have Bortles have some more awareness of when to get rid of the ball and the line as a whole would look much better. Joeckel has improved, Parnell is fine, Cann has been solid for a rookie, and Wiz is okay minus those awful snaps. That's not even factoring in our best lineman being out the majority of the season. Run blocking definitely needs to improve though.

Yes, this team could be very good with just adequate coaching. Marrone is the sure way to keep what works (the offense) and jettison what doesn't (Bradley). 

And if you had a contract that allowed you to leave your job with 2 years salary you'd do it do. Don't pretend you wouldn't.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I'm not promoting the OP's idea, but the line is obviously better than it was last season. We've went from 71 sacks allowed to 43 sacks allowed with one game left to play. Get Beadles out of there and have Bortles have some more awareness of when to get rid of the ball and the line as a whole would look much better. Joeckel has improved, Parnell is fine, Cann has been solid for a rookie, and Wiz is okay minus those awful snaps. That's not even factoring in our best lineman being out the majority of the season. Run blocking definitely needs to improve though.

With Linder and Cann at guard the run blocking gets a whole lot better immediately.