Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Letting Doug Marrone go to keep Bradley a year will be a mistake

Quote:What about loyalty to his players? There were a good handful that were pretty upset and spoke up about him quiting on his team when they found out. The prevailing rumor as to why he opted out was because the Jets job opened up after Rex was fired and that's the job he really wanted. Whether true or not til this day Marrone still hasn't given a reason as to why he quit. I wouldn't be jumping at bringing in a guy who could decide to leave on a whim when the next perceived opportunity arises in a different market.

You make a good point about the players, but remember, it is still a business in a lot of aspects.

I'm not saying my hypothesis is dead on the only reason. But the change in ownershi was a variable. How large a variable and whether it ess the catalyst for him to leave is not certain.

I just don't think it's as cut and dry as it may appear.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Marrone, Mularkey... their separate stints in Buffalo are remarkably similar.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:What about loyalty to his players? There were a good handful that were pretty upset and spoke up about him quiting on his team when they found out. The prevailing rumor as to why he opted out was because the Jets job opened up after Rex was fired and that's the job he really wanted. Whether true or not til this day Marrone still hasn't given a reason as to why he quit. I wouldn't be jumping at bringing in a guy who could decide to leave on a whim when the next perceived opportunity arises in a different market.

It was pretty clear that he hated having EJ Manuel as his QB and I'm sure that wasn't the only instance in which the HC and GM didn't see eye to eye. Whaley/Rex really lucked into having Tyrod Taylor pan out to the degree he did because they would have likely ended up flip-flopping between Manuel and Cassel this season. Marrone was essentially given $4 million for free because of his contract and he likely thought he could land another head coaching job and it makes sense. If you believe you can go somewhere else where you share the same vision as the general manager as well as the ability to double dip on your salary for a season, you'd likely do the same as Marrone. Obviously it didn't work out that way, but I don't think I'm going way outside the box with that opinion.

Also those players who complained about Marrone were just whiners because the majority simply chase the money in free agency and they don't fault one another for doing so. The NFL is a business and if anyone should know that, it's the players.

Quote:The problem with this is... If Khalil Mack was in Jacksonville, Blake Bortles wouldn't be.

Similarly, how good would this team be if Ziggy Ansah were on the Jaguars roster? I'm hoping Dante Fowler turns out to be in the same mold of guys like Mack and Ansah.

I was looking at the comparison mainly from the fact that if the Raiders would have lost Khalil Mack for the season before it began  ( thankfully that didn't happen ) and the Jags had Dante Fowler Jr.  all season and he lived up to his draft billing,  the Jags 2015 season probably would have been better W-L wise than the Raiders season.

As someone who has seen every play of Ziggy Ansah's career through this point in time,  if Ansah would have progressed as well in Jacksonville as he did in Detroit,  the Jaguars would likely be playing for the AFC South Title this coming Sunday in Houston.

Ansah is bigger than the other two players but all 3 of them have the potential to have tremendous NFL careers.   Words can't even describe how impressed I was with Mack in the 2nd half of the Raiders-Lions game last month despite the Lions winning the game. 

Quote:I know he had some input on their playbook, but the OL has been a bit of a weak link on this offense. Bortles is getting sacked way too much and they OL is doing nothing for the running game. I get the allure of having a former HC on the staff, but I have to think there are far better OL coaches out there. 

Regarding the Jags pass protection,  over the course of the season,  what % of the sacks would you attribute to the Offensive Line as the primary reason compared to other factors including Blake Bortles holding the ball too long,  a RB not effectively picking up a blitz,  Receivers not getting open,  and/ or Receivers not running the routes as well as they should have?   

I'm asking this question as an learning opportunity,  as I certainly respect the time and effort you put in to breaking down Jags games on tape.    Anyone else that wants to offer input,  by all means it's more than welcomed and appreciated.  

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2016, 03:34 AM by Vino.)

If you take BCC's tracking, the starting line itself has only given up 15 of the 43 sacks, and Beadles alone is responsible for 6 of those sacks.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:If you take BCC's tracking, the starting line itself has only given up 15 of the 43 sacks, and Beadles alone is responsible for 6 of those sacks.

Thanks,  Vino

Regarding Zane Beadles,  after watching him in the pre-season,  I thought there was a good chance he would at the very least be one of the weak links on the Jaguars team,  let alone the Offensive Line.    The excellent value pick of A.J. Cann in the 3rd Round should pay dividends for the Jaguars for a long time to come.

Get Mack on this team, Linder back, and move Cann to LG in place of Beadles and I think this line becomes a strength of the team next year. And it will be one of the main foundations of our offense moving into the top 5 along with Thomas and Lee having healthy seasons and Yeldon being in his second year.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Marrone does nothing but give me gas. Gus tries, he's just bad whereas Marrone quit

Quote:   I was looking at the comparison mainly from the fact that if the Raiders would have lost Khalil Mack for the season before it began  ( thankfully that didn't happen ) and the Jags had Dante Fowler Jr.  all season and he lived up to his draft billing,  the Jags 2015 season probably would have been better W-L wise than the Raiders season.

As someone who has seen every play of Ziggy Ansah's career through this point in time,  if Ansah would have progressed as well in Jacksonville as he did in Detroit,  the Jaguars would likely be playing for the AFC South Title this coming Sunday in Houston.

Ansah is bigger than the other two players but all 3 of them have the potential to have tremendous NFL careers.   Words can't even describe how impressed I was with Mack in the 2nd half of the Raiders-Lions game last month despite the Lions winning the game. 

If you look at the league's young sack masters, among fourth year players JJ Watt is the best... among third year players Ansah is the best ... among second year players Mack is the best. Not sure who the best rookie is tho.

'02

Quote:   Regarding the Jags pass protection,  over the course of the season,  what % of the sacks would you attribute to the Offensive Line as the primary reason compared to other factors including Blake Bortles holding the ball too long,  a RB not effectively picking up a blitz,  Receivers not getting open,  and/ or Receivers not running the routes as well as they should have?   

I'm asking this question as an learning opportunity,  as I certainly respect the time and effort you put in to breaking down Jags games on tape.    Anyone else that wants to offer input,  by all means it's more than welcomed and appreciated.  

The receivers do an awesome job route running so I wouldn't put anything on them. That said, the Jaguars like to throw deep so the OL is asked to hold blocks longer than some other teams. Bortles, however, has as a great feel for the pocket with the ability to buy enough time for the deep passing game to work. Ultimately the sacks are still about guys getting past the OL. Their being asked to hold their blocks longer doesn't excuse them.

'02

Quote:Marrone does nothing but give me gas. Gus tries, he's just bad whereas Marrone quit
It was the owner's fault, or GM for putting in an opt-out, guaranteed money clause in his contract. Tell me anyone here who would not take the opt out at their place of work(especially if it got you out of the state of NY) and take all that money to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for one year? If you wouldn't take it you're nuts! What is even better, is he works for us now and has done a respectable job for the oline, Luke had his best year as a pro. The fact remains is at least he achieved a winning record with EJ freaking Manuel at Qb. He has shown he can at least lead a team to win more than 5 games in a year, with an average at best team. Also, it may very well take Gus well into his 4th season to even match Marrone's win total, which he earned in 2 seasons. Hell, if we go 3-13 next year Gus would only have tied it! lol. Its not even a comparison, anyone who is "scared" he will quit isn't basing it off of anything logical. The Bills screwed themselves with the language of the very contract they wrote and mutually agreed upon. I would have little issue with Marrone at the helm, and he could very well take a job elsewhere and succeed.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2016, 11:29 AM by Pwmccorm1216.)

Quote:I don't think anyone expects Bradley to be able to turn this around other than the people in Everbank. Marrone will be hired by some team this year and we are going to regret it. He took a team quarterbacked by EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton with Fred Jackson at running back to a 9-7 record and just missed the playoffs. 

So, are you calling the people who run the organization and own the team stupid? Are you trying to say that you know more than Shad Khan, and most likely, Dave Caldwell and his front office staffs point of view? 

Gus Bradley, while he is not completely faultless for the teams struggles, is also not completely at fault. This team was completely gutted from head to toe in 2013, stripped of 90 percent of its veterans and left with rookies and stop gaps the first two seasons. This was not just some simple parting ways with the coach and staff and brought a new coach to change the scheme, they tore down the foundation and completely invented a brand new team here in Jacksonville. New Owner, new GM, new Head Coach and staff with a brand new philosophy. Its taking some time to get to the next level, Jags have been hit with some pretty hard circumstances. Wins have not mounted up, but with what they did since 2013, I'm not that surprised we are not a Super Bowl contending team. I saw vast improvement this year, improvement that leads me to believe that one more offseason and a revamped defense will make this team a true contender both in the division and our conference which could lead to playoffs. 

"I dont think anyone expects Bradley to turn this thing around other than the people in Everbank". Shad Khan is no dummy, as you so kindly point out in this statement. If you think Khan did not have thought and input going into his decision to keep Bradley, then you must not know the business world. Not only is this a football decision, but business directly co exists with this, as the team needs to perform for the revenue in the stadium to stay up. Essentially, theres a lot riding on this season for the team to perform well, when they win, fans pack the house, losing, especially in year 4, is not good PR nor is it going to benefit Shad from a business side, as if they are losing, ticket sales and such will be much lower.  Not every fan thinks like you and Big Cat Country, I for one believe the team is very close to being a real contender. If Shad Khan did not believe this would work out, he would of axed him even before the season ended. 

Count me as a fan who is not part of your statement and does believe this team can do great things next season!

Teams are not salivating over the idea of hiring Marrone. It is pretty comical to suggest otherwise.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

Quote:Get Mack on this team, Linder back, and move Cann to LG in place of Beadles and I think this line becomes a strength of the team next year. And it will be one of the main foundations of our offense moving into the top 5 along with Thomas and Lee having healthy seasons and Yeldon being in his second year.
I think this is absolutely the plan.

Mack wants out of Cleveland. Linder is a top level guard and Cann will upgrade Beadles. Luke and Parnell are fine.

Quote:   Regarding the Jags pass protection,  over the course of the season,  what % of the sacks would you attribute to the Offensive Line as the primary reason compared to other factors including Blake Bortles holding the ball too long,  a RB not effectively picking up a blitz,  Receivers not getting open,  and/ or Receivers not running the routes as well as they should have?   

Here's the link:

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/12/29/...the-saints

According to the totals, 18 sacks are on the OL (Mostly Beadles, and Sam Young had 3), 9 on Bortles, 5 on Yeldon, several rated "misc." and Cann with zero, which bodes well if Linder comes back and he and Cann are the two starters next year. The author, Hank Joness, provided video each week along with his analysis. I disagreed with a few, but overall his numbers seem pretty accurate.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Teams are not salivating over the idea of hiring Marrone. It is pretty comical to suggest otherwise.

"Salivating"?

No, but he would be an upgrade over several existing head coaches (including Gus) and there aren't a lot of better options out there.

He took the Bills to 9-7 with Manuel and Orton at QB. They didn't do as well this year with essentially the same team and a much better QB. He was also smart enough to get a contract that released him with pay if the Bills changed owners, so maybe he could find a way to rush more than four on 3rd and long, something Bradley finds far too advanced for his skill set.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We may forget just how bad that OL was last year, but Marrone got them settled down right away when he got here, and the level of play has been pretty consistent.  Not great, but a serious step up from last year.  Who's to say the OL won't see significant improvement in 2016?  They get Linder back, Joeckel gets another healthy offseason to add strength, Cann who is already pretty good will take that 2nd year leap, Parnell returns already settled in as a starter instead of a question mark, Wiz works on shotgun snaps in his back yard for 5 months, etc.  And young guys like Shatley, Bowanko, and Wells will be solid depth.  Even with no new players (beyond a modest contract for Wiz) there should be improvement. 

Quote:When you opt out of a contract, you're resigning. Polish that turd any way you wish. He quit.

He left for a good reason. He saw new ownership coming in and probably had inside knowledge that it wasn't going to be a marriage made in heaven. You act as if he pulled a Bobby Petrino and left his team mid season high and dry

Quote:Teams are not salivating over the idea of hiring Marrone. It is pretty comical to suggest otherwise.

"Get Better Everyday"