Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gruden - Former Jags comment (MERGED)

I'll try to put together a former Jaguars offensive roster, but it won't be quite as solid...

QB Blaine Gabbert

RB Justin Forsett

RB Rashad Jennings

WR Cecil Shorts III

WR Kevin Elliott

TE Zach Miller (Bears)

LT Josh Wells

LG Uche Nwaneri (or Jacques McClendon)

C Dan Connolly

RG Drew Nowak

RT Austin Pasztor

Connolly retired this past season, but he's healthy and would still be a top C. I'd like to put Eugene Monroe at LT, but he's been nothing but injury prone since leaving the Jaguars and the Ravens are thinking of moving on eating a bunch of dead money.

The best names on here are Forsett, Jennings, Z. Miller, Nowak and Shorts. Wells is going to make it tough for Gabs to stay healthy, but he'll just need to tough it out. Some of you may recall the undrafted Kevin Elliot trying to make the roster. He's now a TD scoring machine for the Toronto Argonauts.

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

General managers should have a 100% record when it comes to draft picks and they should be able to know exactly how a player will develop or regress from year to year.

Anything less just isn't good enough IMO.

Quote:Marshall is a good role player. Without Miller, Ware, and Trevathian he's just a guy. Smith while playing at a high level is unfortunately old. He wouldn't have made much, if any change to our win total the past 3 years and we'd be looking for his replacement in this year's draft anyway.

I also find it funny that we aren't angry about guys like Lowery, Laurent Robinson, Mincey, Landry etc.

Laurent Robinson? Dawan Landry?

These guys can be picked up by any team at any time.

'02

Quote:Laurent Robinson? Dawan Landry?

These guys can be picked up by any team at any time.

That's my point.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 08:23 AM by jaglyn.)

Quote:Shame on the organization for not giving Nelson 10+ years to develop.
He's been starting at FS for the Bengals ever since he was traded.

Meanwhile we still have issues at Safety.

Quote:His weight played a major issue which apparently our coaching staff couldn't keep under management.

You mean basically the same coach he had in Denver? Ok Pal
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

Quote:General managers should have a 100% record when it comes to draft picks and they should be able to know exactly how a player will develop or regress from year to year.

Anything less just isn't good enough IMO.

I'm sensing sarcasm here. I hope so, or this needs a nomination for stupidity level 1,000.
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

Most of grudens comments have little substance

Quote:He's been starting at FS for the Bengals ever since he was traded.

Meanwhile we still have issues at Safety.

Reggie Nelson was terrible in Jacksonville. Even the crystal ball said he was a bust. It was time to move on.
"I'm not mad, I'm proud of you. You took your first pinch like a man and you learn two great things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut." - Jimmy Conway

It's also taken Nelson a decade to play at a high level hardly some huge mistake

Quote:I'll try to put together a former Jaguars offensive roster, but it won't be quite as solid...

QB Blaine Gabbert

RB Justin Forsett

RB Rashad Jennings

WR Cecil Shorts III

WR Kevin Elliott

TE Zach Miller (Bears)

LT Josh Wells

LG Uche Nwaneri (or Jacques McClendon)

C Dan Connolly

RG Drew Nowak

RT Austin Pasztor

Connolly retired this past season, but he's healthy and would still be a top C. I'd like to put Eugene Monroe at LT, but he's been nothing but injury prone since leaving the Jaguars and the Ravens are thinking of moving on eating a bunch of dead money.

The best names on here are Forsett, Jennings, Z. Miller, Nowak and Shorts. Wells is going to make it tough for Gabs to stay healthy, but he'll just need to tough it out. Some of you may recall the undrafted Kevin Elliot trying to make the roster. He's now a TD scoring machine for the Toronto Argonauts.

Josh Wells is still on the team, he is just on IR.

How did Nelson get so good ?

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Quote:Yep. because the coaching staff decides when a grown adult man is allowed to eat
If its contractual they can. Like many models have that in their contracts. Some high end restaurants hire waitresses as models instead of food servers so they can put that in their contract and fire them if they don't follow it. Some other places like hooters etc. also do this.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:It's also taken Nelson a decade to play at a high level hardly some huge mistake

I didn't blame the Jags for the move at the time. Nelson obviously wasn't working out how many had hoped he would at that point.

But, he has been really good for Cincy for about 4-5 years now, so it's not like he just came out of nowhere to be really good just this season.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 02:54 PM by GreeceMonkE.)

Quote:How did Nelson get so good ?

#passrush

Cyp and others will look a lot better once we have a consistent pass rush as well.

Quote:Reggie Nelson's departure was celebrated by the crux of the message board, and we laughed at those silly Bengal for picking him up.

He was Reggie freaking Nelson...
This is close to how I remember it. I, for one, thought he was playing better towards the end here. But he had such a huge knack for taking terrible angles and missing game changing tackles at the end of games that it seemed like a foregone conclusion that he was done here. I remember a game he did for us against the colts in 2010, I believe, when we had like 8 wins and would have the division if we won. Reggie took a bad angle on a long completion, missed a tackle allowing the TD and a loss. We had been on a winning streak before that with many people picking us to win the game. It became very hard to defend him after gamechanging plays like that. I think there was a portion of the board that thought he was getting better, but no one thought he was good enough.

Its also true the majority of the board wanted him gone, several of whom are above claiming they didn't (good thing the old boards gone, so no one can check you). No one was thrilled with getting David Cox for him, we all wondered about the pick (which became nothing). And ever since leaving us Nelson suddenly played better, finished tackles, and continued getting TO's (which he did for us as well). His was almost certainly a coaching/scheme issue (and I like JDR, but this one has to be on him/the staff).

Either way, when he left it was a foregone conclusion that he wasn't who we needed him to be. He had been here 4 years and just hadn't turned the corner. Even me (who liked him), couldn't say much when we traded him, it was obvious that he had blown one too many coverages/been burned for one too many TD's.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Gruden.....

why do they let him keep talking.

Bring back Jaws.

Quote:That's because the Bengals would coach him up and hold him accountable for blown coverages and taking bad angles.
Actually now that you say this, Cyprien is having the same problems Reggie did. Holy cow, we better not trade him.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Nelson or Marshall were never going be successful in Jax because the teams they played on were not good enough. Neither guy is the type of player who will be a stud regardless of the talent around him. They are both solid players now who are thriving on very talented defenses. They are not the driving force behind their defense's success though, rather they benefit from great players around them.

In Jacksonville each guy was average on bad teams and if we really want to look back, neither guy was going to change the fortunes of the team. Time to move on people.
Nelson leads the league in Int, he is a stud on that D.

Quote:solid D, Mathis over Blackmon
I don't know, I don't count Mathis as a former Jag, I mean we let him go, but he spent the career here, hes still a jag to me.