Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cyprien is good

I'll say it a million times. He still takes the occasional bad angle like a lot of safeties but the man has no consistent force next to him at FS. The FS and SS need to have constant communication but for some reason Gus keeps rotating Sergio and Evans in and out of the game. Whether you want to believe it or not it, that does affect his play in coverage being on the same page with the other safety.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Will be interesting to see if he becomes more consistent with Berry/Gipson at FS. I think we need a veteran presence in that spot, due to its importance to the defence we're trying to run.

I don't think Cyp is anywhere near as bad as people make out. He does need to improve his angles though. His biggest weakness

Nope. He's still a bust. Would probably be better fit as a WLB. He's too slow for a safety

Quote:Nope. He's still a bust. Would probably be better fit as a WLB. He's too slow for a safety

Slow for a SS? No way

Quote:I'll say it a million times. He still takes the occasional bad angle like a lot of safeties but the man has no consistent force next to him at FS. The FS and SS need to have constant communication but for some reason Gus keeps rotating Sergio and Evans in and out of the game. Whether you want to believe it or not it, that does affect his play in coverage being on the same page with the other safety.

This has been my theory for a couple years. He's trying to do too much and make up for the FS and previously gratz too, when he was on the field a lot.

A decent safety next to him and a little more rush and we should see cyp take the next level.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I dont remember the time on the play but one play against the Colts he took the worst ankle and allowed them to pick up the 1st down

Quote:I dont remember the time on the play but one play against the Colts he took the worst ankle and allowed them to pick up the 1st down

Yup, it was a 3rd and long and Cyp was right in front of him.

Quote:Yup, it was a 3rd and long and Cyp was right in front of him.

I guess it was bad "communication". Cyp had the guy in front of him, another Jaguar to his right, and the sideline to his left. So he figured he'd defend the inside and give the sideline to the ballcarrier. Sideline didn't get the memo tho.

Quote:I'll say it a million times. He still takes the occasional bad angle like a lot of safeties but the man has no consistent force next to him at FS. The FS and SS need to have constant communication but for some reason Gus keeps rotating Sergio and Evans in and out of the game. Whether you want to believe it or not it, that does affect his play in coverage being on the same page with the other safety.
He got an earful for the occasional bad angle on Sunday.  Davon House ripped him a new one on the field, pointing at the jumobotrons as the replay was being shown.  Good stuff.

Cyprien is improving, but those lapses can't keep happening.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I like the fact that we are pointing out the sometimes bad angles he takes to the ball.

What Cyprien lacks is foot quickness and top end speed. Essentially he is a 4th linebacker.

He is great for the scheme that we run because hes able to make stops at or near the line of scrimmage. He is a HUGE reason why we are a top team in average yards per rush against.

His struggles are when hes lined up against a solid TE (because they are more athletic than him) or taking bad angles (something he can ill afford because of his lack of foot speed) in the open field.

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015, 11:23 AM by HiggyJ15.)

Cyprien is serviceable and nothing better. He is consistently average and sometimes makes a big play. He makes more mistakes than good plays

Quote:He got an earful for the occasional bad angle on Sunday. Davon House ripped him a new one on the field, pointing at the jumobotrons as the replay was being shown. Good stuff.

Cyprien is improving, but those lapses can't keep happening.

Good to hear that. Should happen more often.

(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015, 11:30 AM by haveaseat.)

Me thinks some people don't watch other teams play if they think Cyp is so bad. And those SS have good FS play next to them. I dare you to find a play from a young SS who hasn't taken a few bad angles and missed a key tackle or two out there a game. Hell, Kam still does it. It happens all the time but only Cyp gets ripped here for it.

I can't say he won't improve with a good FS on the field because he's never really had one. Even a Dwight Lowery from 2011-12 would be a nice addition to the defence. Someone who's in the right place and doesn't make mistakes. We don't necessarily need a ballhawk like Ed Reed.

Quote:I can't say he won't improve with a good FS on the field because he's never really had one. Even a Dwight Lowery from 2011-12 would be a nice addition to the defence. Someone who's in the right place and doesn't make mistakes. We don't necessarily need a ballhawk like Ed Reed.

Everyone and their brother knows this scheme requires a range single high safety. This scheme wasn't built for Cyp to do both.

Quote:Everyone and their brother knows this scheme requires a range single high safety. This scheme wasn't built for Cyp to do both.

Not to harp on coaching after a good week, but when you don't have the players to make a scheme work, well, the scheme ain't gonna work.

Quote:Everyone and their brother knows this scheme requires a range single high safety. This scheme wasn't built for Cyp to do both.

I think a lot of us assumed this was the case, but per Gus...this doesn't appear to be true. I don't know if this is a change due to the players we have, but in selecting Sample, he specifically brought up the whole FS/SS interchangeable in this scheme.

Cyp still has work to do.

He's no bust - but his inconsistency is very disappointing.

Side note: its amazing to me how much better

Josh Evans looks in the box compared to center field. Night and day.

I like him as SS depth moving forward - and I've been one to repeatedly call out his poor play.

Quote:I think a lot of us assumed this was the case, but per Gus...this doesn't appear to be true. I don't know if this is a change due to the players we have, but in selecting Sample, he specifically brought up the whole FS/SS interchangeable in this scheme.

I think you are right - but it seems Sample might be the only guy on the roster currently with the chops to range and cover well at FS. ANd that's a big maybe. I hope we see someone added with that skillset.

Quote:I think a lot of us assumed this was the case, but per Gus...this doesn't appear to be true. I don't know if this is a change due to the players we have, but in selecting Sample, he specifically brought up the whole FS/SS interchangeable in this scheme.

I think thats because they realised that Earl Thomas types don't grow on trees.