Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles Has Done Something This Season That Very Few QB's Have Been Able to Do...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_...on-rodgers

Pretty elite company right there.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The statistic you are referring to is completely meaningless, but nobody who has watched every game Blake Bortles played can deny how much we improved this season.

Quote:The statistic you are referring to is completely meaningless, but nobody who has watched every game Blake Bortles played can deny how much we improved this season.

Your post is completely meaningless. What stat did 'he' refer to? He posted a link to ESPN.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:The statistic you are referring to is completely meaningless, but nobody who has watched every game Blake Bortles played can deny how much we improved this season.

I'm still trying to figure out how you think a football field is longer and wider than a baseball field.

Quote:http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_...on-rodgers

Pretty elite company right there.

Its misleading to say he is in elite company because his starting point was basically worst in the NFL. It isn't like he made the jump from 26 TDs to 40 or anything. He had 11 TDs last year, of course your margin of improvement is going to vast when you're the worst starter in the NFL. 

Quote:Your post is completely meaningless. What stat did 'he' refer to? He posted a link to ESPN.

The subject title obviously refers to this:

Quote:Bortles’ improvement has put him in rare company, too. His 27 touchdown passes are 16 more than he threw as a rookie. That, according to Elias Sports Bureau, makes him one of only six quarterbacks in the past decade to throw at least 16 more touchdown passes than they did the previous season in which they played at least 13 games.

You say the stat is meaningless but then say nobody who's seen him play this season can deny how much he's improved this season. THIS STAT ONLY BACKS UP THE EYE TEST YOU SPEAK OF. I swear to god you type some stupid sh it on here.

Quote:The subject title obviously refers to this:

Why do you ignore people when you are proven wrong? I don't get it.

Quote:Its misleading to say he is in elite company because his starting point was basically worst in the NFL. It isn't like he made the jump from 26 TDs to 40 or anything. He had 11 TDs last year, of course your margin of improvement is going to vast when you're the worst starter in the NFL.

The other stats weren't from those other quarterbacks rookie season either. The point being he's made a ginormous jump from one year to the next. That was the point.

Bitter posts are bitter

Quote:The subject title obviously refers to this:

And?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Why do you ignore people when you are proven wrong? I don't get it.

Troll-lo-lo-lo-lollllll-lo lo lo lolllll.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:The other stats weren't from those other quarterbacks rookie season either. The point being he's made a ginormous jump from one year to the next. That was the point.

Bitter posts are bitter

My point is exactly that - the other guys were not rookies and Blake Bortles was. Second year players should be compared to other second year players.

Quote:My point is exactly that - the other guys were not rookies and Blake Bortles was. Second year players should be compared to other second year players.

There aren't any second year players that have done that. That's literally what the article is saying. Please. Stop. Posting.

Quote:There aren't any second year players that have done that. That's literally what the article is saying. Please. Stop. Posting.

I will stop posting here when there is another Jaguars message board to post in. Right now there is no such thing.

Lol@ whoever says the stat is misleading.

Quote:Its misleading to say he is in elite company because his starting point was basically worst in the NFL. It isn't like he made the jump from 26 TDs to 40 or anything. He had 11 TDs last year, of course your margin of improvement is going to vast when you're the worst starter in the NFL. 

It is not that misleading. Most pundits and stats said that Bortles would flame out after his rookie season given the other QB's he had historically compared to. No one outside of Jacksonville gave him a chance, and many thought the Jags would be drafting a QB again soon. Even most Jags fans were hoping for an outside shot of Bortles breaking the TD record this year, much less expecting.

Given that only a few QB's have EVER done also means that only 1 other (Romo) ever did starting his second year (and he even had a season to hold a clipboard). Progress for 2nd QB's is often gradual and not steep, so for Bortles to make such a jump is noteworthy, as is that all of the other QB's on that list can lead their teams (if managed well) to the Super Bowl. 

He does have to improve though and not take steps backward.

Quote:The other stats weren't from those other quarterbacks rookie season either. The point being he's made a ginormous jump from one year to the next. That was the point.

Bitter posts are bitter

My point was that this fact doesn't put him in the class of elite QBs. It is a lot easier to go from an F to a C than it is to to go from a B to an A. 

Quote:It is not that misleading. Most pundits and stats said that Bortles would flame out after his rookie season given the other QB's he had historically compared to. No one outside of Jacksonville gave him a chance, and many thought the Jags would be drafting a QB again soon. Even most Jags fans were hoping for an outside shot of Bortles breaking the TD record this year, much less expecting.

Given that only a few QB's have EVER done also means that only 1 other (Romo) ever did starting his second year (and he even had a season to hold a clipboard). Progress for 2nd QB's is often gradual and not steep, so for Bortles to make such a jump is noteworthy, as is that all of the other QB's on that list can lead their teams (if managed well) to the Super Bowl. 

He does have to improve though and not take steps backward.

Actually the leap a QB makes from his 1st to 2nd is often the biggest in terms of development. Even still, the article compared him to other QBs whose starting point was at least average to very good production to great. Bortles went from the worst to competent (his 5.7 TD% puts him at 13th in the NFL). Besides, given the marginal improvement to his INT% and decline to his completion %, I think this increase is largely due to the development from his playmakers, and the fact that his TD numbers are inflated due to how pass reliant the team has become to score. It shows that Bortles belongs in the NFL and the Jags would be wise to further invest in his development, but it hardly puts him in the class of elite QBs because of this related phenomenon.

Quote:My point was that this fact doesn't put him in the class of elite QBs. It is a lot easier to go from an F to a C than it is to to go from a B to an A. 

Actually the leap a QB makes from his 1st to 2nd is often the biggest in terms of development. Even still, the article compared him to other QBs whose starting point was at least average to very good production to great. Bortles went from the worst to competent (his 5.7 TD% puts him at 13th in the NFL). Besides, given the marginal improvement to his INT% and decline to his completion %, I think this increase is largely due to the development from his playmakers, and the fact that his TD numbers are inflated due to how pass reliant the team has become to score. It shows that Bortles belongs in the NFL and the Jags would be wise to further invest in his development, but it hardly puts him in the class of elite QBs because of this related phenomenon.

Player hater
[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:I will stop posting here when there is another Jaguars message board to post in. Right now there is no such thing.

Good god, please go make one..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2015, 08:27 AM by Minorcan.)

Quote:My point was that this fact doesn't put him in the class of elite QBs. It is a lot easier to go from an F to a C than it is to to go from a B to an A.

I understand the argument you are trying to make, however, Bortles improvement from year 1 to year 2 is almost more impressive being that he threw so few touchdown and looked so poorly at times. It's not like he went from 2 to 15. He's at 27 TD's with 4 games to go. That alone in your second season regardless of your jump from year one is very impressive. When you look at his starting point, imo, makes it even further impressive.

I'm sure it's frustrating to see him mentioned in the same breath as the elite of the elite, but it makes sense given the circumstances of his improvement.

Edit: I'd hardly call Bortles current play a 'C' either, come on.