Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Running Back depth

I wanted to talk about a topic that I haven't seen too many people make posts about. and that is the issue of running back depth on this team, and the need to add some quality depth at this position. I'm seeing a lot of undrafted free agents on other teams playing like a first string running back, and they are third on the depth chart. What do we have if Yeldon were to go down? Gerhart is gone. Pierce didn't show too much this season. DRob doesn't seem to be a back that can carry the load. Reminds me of McCluster, and is good for a change of pace.

I'll be the first to say that we should break the bank on getting quality free agent defensive players, and use most of our draft to get some good defensive players. I'm just curious as to how this team will solidify the RB position. What are the possibilities of getting a player like Matt Forte to come here? I'm not sure he would like to play second fiddle to Yeldon, but there is no reason that they can't be a one-two punch at the running back position, both offering a different skill set. I think this team could desperately use an RB that can punch it in on short yardage situations. Someone that they probably envisioned Gerhart to be but never was. I'm just seeing so much talent and depth on other teams, sometimes 3 and 4 deep at RB, to accept what we have had.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2015, 01:15 AM by knarnn.)

I wouldn't mind adding another RB in the draft. Heck if Elliott, Booker, or Henry (if he comes out) happens to slide I wouldn't mind taking one of them early. If Kelvin Taylor is there in the mid rounds I would take a look at him too.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

I like your idea of signing Matt Forte, but only if he is willing to carry half the load and take a pay cut to reflect that. Chicago always used him as the feature back until Jeremy Langford started showing them he is their future at the position. Of course this can only happen if none of the other running back-hungry teams have enough money for a guy like Forte because if given a choice, he would play for a team that is no worse than the Bears.

We tried to break the bank on DeMarco Murray this year. I remember Dave Caldwell tried everything to bring him to Jacksonville. My guess is he wanted to play against his former team and expected Philadelphia to be better in 2015, since it was obvious Oakland would have been the choice if all he wanted was money. Whether we try again with Forte or somebody else, I am all in favor of making a second attempt.

I am a strong supporter of what fans call "running back committees." Minnesota, obviously, does not need one because Adrain Petersoin is elite, but without that kind of player, what Mike MCarthy calls "a 1-2 punch" is ideal. We got the most rushing yards and TOP when Fred Taylor and MJD split carries. Those seasons also were the healthiest for both players, which confirms my theory that fewer snaps = fewer injuries. So what I want is a revival of the Taylor/MJD run scheme: one power back who excels between the tackles and a primarily outside runner.  Mix it in with numbers 5, 15, 80, and 88 and we will have the offense everyone has been waiting for.

Quote:I wouldn't mind adding another RB in the draft. Heck if Elliott, Booker, or Henry (if he comes out) happens to slide I wouldn't mind taking one of them early. If Kelvin Taylor is there in the mid rounds I would take a look at him too.

The only major attraction for Kelvin Taylor right now is genetics. He has struggled without help from Matt Jones, who shared carries with him for two seasons. That makes me think Kelvin Taylor's best fit is on a team like the Packers, who do not want anybody to know pregame which running back will start. Of course, being a huge Fred Taylor fan (and sharing his birthday with him), I would absolutely love it if the Jaguars picked his son for sentimental reasons. Maybe they would let him wear #28. But I think picking a player based on his name alone is stupid and do not want the Jaguars to pick Kelvin if he lacks some things his dad had that are crucial to succeeding in the NFL.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Devon Johnson from Marshall. We need a guy with some versatility and short yardage ability which makes him a perfect fit. Unfortunately, he has dealt with injuries this year, and drafting a RB with injury history is a tough call. He could be a day three steal though.

I don't think I would sign a big name or draft a RB. I would go after a few guys late in free agency and have them all compete in camp again. I'd like for them to take a look at Orleans Darkwa, Bilal Powell, Lance Dunbar, Charcandrick West, or Chris Thompson.

Grab one of those guys and go into camp like this:

Yeldon

Robinson

FA

UDFA

UDFA
Shock the world

My biggest question about running backs right now is about Derrick Henry. We apparently got a good one with T.J. Yeldon, but the pick and trade for Trent Richardson makes me wonder if, like Wisconsin, Alabama has a way of making all of its running backs look much better than they are. Should I be concerned about Henry on the basis of which school he attends after seeing this and, in 2015, the surprising downfall of Eddie Lacy?

With these players in mind, I wonder if it really is a good idea to chase Derrick Henry. That is why I keep calling for Ezekiel Elliott if it would not cost too much to trade up. You don't know what you will get out of Alabama or Wisconsin but RBs at Ohio State usually don't flop in the NFL.

Quote:My biggest question about running backs right now is about Derrick Henry. We apparently got a good one with T.J. Yeldon, but the pick and trade for Trent Richardson makes me wonder if, like Wisconsin, Alabama has a way of making all of its running backs look much better than they are. Should I be concerned about Henry on the basis of which school he attends after seeing this and, in 2015, the surprising downfall of Eddie Lacy?

With these players in mind, I wonder if it really is a good idea to chase Derrick Henry. That is why I keep calling for Ezekiel Elliott if it would not cost too much to trade up. You don't know what you will get out of Alabama or Wisconsin but RBs at Ohio State usually don't flop in the NFL.

No. We took our RB. We aren't drafting one again unless it's in one of the last rounds.
Shock the world

Kelvin Taylor yes please. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:No. We took our RB. We aren't drafting one again unless it's in one of the last rounds.

Late round picks are gambles. If you know you can't go another year without a running back upgrade, don't wait until Round 5 like we did for Denard Robinson. Obviously I want the Jaguars to emphasize defense in the draft, but they should not rule out taking a running back in the second or third round if he is the BAP.

Quote:Late round picks are gambles. If you know you can't go another year without a running back upgrade, don't wait until Round 5 like we did for Denard Robinson. Obviously I want the Jaguars to emphasize defense in the draft, but they should not rule out taking a running back in the second or third round if he is the BAP.

Every pick is a gamble, Missy.
Shock the world

Quote:Every pick is a gamble, Missy.

I know that, we are more likely to win the gamble if it is for a "can't miss" player like Elliott and he is very impressive on and off the field. Caldwell knows how to gamble much better than Gene Smith ever did.

Quote:With these players in mind, I wonder if it really is a good idea to chase Derrick Henry. That is why I keep calling for Ezekiel Elliott if it would not cost too much to trade up. You don't know what you will get out of Alabama or Wisconsin but RBs at Ohio State usually don't flop in the NFL.

Hi, my name is Maurice Clarett, and I'm in prison.

Quote:The only major attraction for Kelvin Taylor right now is genetics. He has struggled without help from Matt Jones, who shared carries with him for two seasons. That makes me think Kelvin Taylor's best fit is on a team like the Packers, who do not want anybody to know pregame which running back will start. Of course, being a huge Fred Taylor fan (and sharing his birthday with him), I would absolutely love it if the Jaguars picked his son for sentimental reasons. Maybe they would let him wear #28. But I think picking a player based on his name alone is stupid and do not want the Jaguars to pick Kelvin if he lacks some things his dad had that are crucial to succeeding in the NFL.

You can't expect him to be everything FT was, but I'd love to see Kelvin in teal. He just might make for a great one-two punch, and his name rhymes with Telvin for the team's rap videos. Seriously though, has there been any word about him possibly declaring early since he's a junior.? And if he does, what round do you think we could get him in?

Also, why is there no Wiki listing for Kelvin?

'02

You would be crazy to expect Kelvin Taylor to be Fred Taylor 2. It almost never works that way.But I am not going to sit here and say we should draft or avoid KT because of FT. The genetics is a bonus  - and, hopefully, the number 28.

Isn't Kelvin Taylor pretty similar to Yeldon skillset wise?

I think we need a home run threat at RB who can split out wide if needs be. Would diversify our offense.

Quote:I wanted to talk about a topic that I haven't seen too many people make posts about. and that is the issue of running back depth on this team, and the need to add some quality depth at this position. I'm seeing a lot of undrafted free agents on other teams playing like a first string running back, and they are third on the depth chart. What do we have if Yeldon were to go down? Gerhart is gone. Pierce didn't show too much this season. DRob doesn't seem to be a back that can carry the load. Reminds me of McCluster, and is good for a change of pace.

I'll be the first to say that we should break the bank on getting quality free agent defensive players, and use most of our draft to get some good defensive players. I'm just curious as to how this team will solidify the RB position. What are the possibilities of getting a player like Matt Forte to come here? I'm not sure he would like to play second fiddle to Yeldon, but there is no reason that they can't be a one-two punch at the running back position, both offering a different skill set. I think this team could desperately use an RB that can punch it in on short yardage situations. Someone that they probably envisioned Gerhart to be but never was. I'm just seeing so much talent and depth on other teams, sometimes 3 and 4 deep at RB, to accept what we have had.

Bernard Pierce was recently placed on IR, so currently there are only three RBs on the roster. DRob is backing up Yeldon, and Joe Banyard, signed about a month ago, is now their third RB. They also recently signed Jahwan Edwards to the practice squad. That's rather slim for the position, although they seem to like giving Marquis Lee some end-around type plays so it wouldn't shock me to see him get a few carries in a game. It's too bad we don't have guys like Justin Forsett and Rashad Jennings on the roster.

Looking at next year, I don't know that we really need a guy like Forte to steal the spotlight from Yeldon, but I wouldn't mind bringing in someone to improve the depth.
As for possible free agents, the top names are Lamar Miller, Matt Forte, Chris Ivory and Doug Martin. I'd love to get a guy like Ivory or Martin if the price is right, but I imagine they'll command too big of a contract while the Jaguars really need more of a second fiddle. For the second fiddle role, a few intriguing names are Ronnie Hillman, Alfred Morris and Bilal Powell.

I also think we should stay away from the older guys as we want to keep the team young so I'd pass on Forte, 30, along with LaGarrette Blount, 29, James Starks, 29, Mike Tolbert, 30 and Reggie Bush, 30. As RBs these guys will be retiring before you know it.

'02

I think the 3/4 rounds can present good.value for running backs. Get another good one to pair with yeldon. Or another linemen. Or another 4 linemen.

I hope we draft a big power back to compliment Yeldon and Robinson. My favorite big back is James Conner from Pittsburg. He is 6'2" 245 pounds and is a monster with the ball. He would have been a real high pick but he hurt his knee and was diagnosed with cancer so I am not sure if he will come out this year or not. If he is there in the back of the draft, I would take a flyer on him and possibly redshirt him back to health.

For nostalgia reasons, I wouldn't oppose picking up Kelvin at the back of the draft but only if he wears #28.

I really want the Jags to pick up a true Fullback. Holes were easier to find when we had Greg Jones.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.