Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Running Back depth

Quote:I really want the Jags to pick up a true Fullback. Holes were easier to find when we had Greg Jones.

Why? So he can be in the game for 5 snaps?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Personally, I'm a big fan of Devon Johnson from Marshall. We need a guy with some versatility and short yardage ability which makes him a perfect fit. Unfortunately, he has dealt with injuries this year, and drafting a RB with injury history is a tough call. He could be a day three steal though.

Short yardage is a definite issue. Good call on Johnson.

But the OP pretty much offers a solution to the problem - as he said, there are quite a few productive RB's who were UDFA's. And they're making an impact very early in their careers. UDFA should offer a solution.

Invest in the offensive line, then you can place anyone in the backfield (except for Toby Gerhart) and they will succeed.

Quote:I really want the Jags to pick up a true Fullback. Holes were easier to find when we had Greg Jones.

LOL .... did you mean holes were easier to find when we had MJD  :thumbsup:

I think the FB era is pretty much over given all the rules favoring the passing game.  Spread them out, get a few good run blockers on the left side of the line and the holes will come.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2015, 11:25 AM by Flagler Jagsfan.)

Quote:But the OP pretty much offers a solution to the problem - as he said, there are quite a few productive RB's who were UDFA's. And they're making an impact very early in their careers. UDFA should offer a solution.
This. I'm not opposed to getting a good running back in the later rounds, or even earlier rounds if there is a steal there. There are many RB's in the league right now, that were undrafted free agents, or latter draft picks, that are doing quite well. The scouts for this team have done a horrible job in adding talent for the RB position. We have...Yeldon. And honestly, IMO, he has a narrow skill set, that could benefit from having another "talented" and/or 3 down back on the team. A lot of good teams don't stop at having 1 good running back (with the exclusion of a few). They continue to stack the talent, even prolonging the health and energy of the featured back.

Consider these backs, that were either undrafted free agents (UDFA) or latter round picks:

Thomas Rawls, UDFA

Charcandrick West, UDFA

Chris Ivory, UDFA

Danny Woodhead, UDFA

CJ Anderson, UDFA

Shane Draugh, UDFA

Spencer Ware, 6th round

Latavius Murphy, 6th round

Alfred Morris, 6th round

Point is, it seems like the Jags can barely cover the talent for 1st string positions at every position. We are not "set" at RB. I hope management doesn't think we are. But, with the needs so great on defense, will they continue to keep a similar situation next year at RB and just rely on Yeldon?

I wouldn't pass on a starting defensive player in order to draft a BACKUP running back.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2015, 11:26 AM by jagherd.)

Quote:Personally, I'm a big fan of Devon Johnson from Marshall. We need a guy with some versatility and short yardage ability which makes him a perfect fit. Unfortunately, he has dealt with injuries this year, and drafting a RB with injury history is a tough call. He could be a day three steal though.
Devon is a tough runner, that's for sure. When healthy, and that's been a big issue of late, he's an absolute workhorse.

Idk if he'll ever reach an Ahmad Bradshaw type of level, especially with longevity. But, I agree that he could be an absolute steal very late in the draft. It wouldn't surprise me to see him become a good/very good player at the NFL level.

I asked about drafting a RB on twitter to O'Halloran and company.  Basically ridiculed for even bring up the notion.

But I'm all for it. 

Like you said....."We are not set...."

Just sign a "proven" veteran FA. More proven than Gerhart. SMH.

Cook or Henry would both look great in a two tone helmet.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

I think Forte would be a great compliment. He's already accepted the role with Langford and he's been extremely consistent over his career. His biggest impact has always been catching out of the backfield and that could be huge when they send the house after Bortles. It's been open all season but we don't have the personnel to take advantage seeing as we're throwing passes to Alualu. Forte is one of the best to do it and would really add to our offense. 

Quote:Cook or Henry would both look great in a two tone helmet.

What are the chances one of them drops into the third round? We need to use our first two picks on defense.

With Ezekiel Elliott being projected as a first round pick, I would say less than zero.

Quote:I think Forte would be a great compliment. He's already accepted the role with Langford and he's been extremely consistent over his career. His biggest impact has always been catching out of the backfield and that could be huge when they send the house after Bortles. It's been open all season but we don't have the personnel to take advantage seeing as we're throwing passes to Alualu. Forte is one of the best to do it and would really add to our offense. 

He also is celebrating his 30th birthday today and calling himself "an old man." You have to wonder how much he will decline after getting a new contract somewhere. But I would like him in Jacksonville if he likes the time share plan.

UDFA or a 6th-7th rounder at best for RB depth.

Quote:UDFA or a 6th-7th rounder at best for RB depth.

Why wait that long to pick one? Rashad Jennings went from seventh round to another team. Storm Johnson went from seventh round to practice squad. We need to pick a running back much earlier than that.

Quote:Cook or Henry would both look great in a two tone helmet.

Cook isn't draft eligible so yeeeeeah...

Doubtful the Jags draft a RB.

A free agent signing is likely, but no need to draft one.

Bigger priorities abound unless some crazy talent falls majorly to a mid-late round.

Ronnie Hillman would be a nice signing.

Quote:Why wait that long to pick one? Rashad Jennings went from seventh round to another team. Storm Johnson went from seventh round to practice squad. We need to pick a running back much earlier than that.
Because RB is not a high priority right now. You have your starter and Robinson. RB depth is a luxury item at this point. Pick late and hope a kid can stick on the roster as a short yardage back/special teamer.

Yeldon doesn't run with power and he's not particularly fast.  He's not much better than most other team's backups right now... Unless TJ gets a lot stronger in the off-season, we are not set at running back at all.

And as much as I like Fred, Kelvin is barely a shadow of his father in the talent/athleticism department.