Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Running Back depth

Quote:I think Forte would be a great compliment. He's already accepted the role with Langford and he's been extremely consistent over his career. His biggest impact has always been catching out of the backfield and that could be huge when they send the house after Bortles. It's been open all season but we don't have the personnel to take advantage seeing as we're throwing passes to Alualu. Forte is one of the best to do it and would really add to our offense.

Sounds like a perfect fit for the Patriots. I'm sure if it comes down to us vs them his decision won't be hard.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I don't think I would sign a big name or draft a RB. I would go after a few guys late in free agency and have them all compete in camp again. I'd like for them to take a look at Orleans Darkwa, Bilal Powell, Lance Dunbar, Charcandrick West, or Chris Thompson.

Grab one of those guys and go into camp like this:

Yeldon

Robinson

FA

UDFA

UDFA
Solid approach. I do agree we need depth and the position isn't dire enough to warrant draft picks or money on a top name. The position is to volatile to risk resources so going the UFDA approach works with the make em earn it attitude... nobody plays harder than someone with everything to lose.

Quote:I really want the Jags to pick up a true Fullback. Holes were easier to find when we had Greg Jones.
agreed, a probowl caliber FB and some Oline guys and this offense could fly

Quote:Invest in the offensive line, then you can place anyone in the backfield (except for Toby Gerhart) and they will succeed.
Next year we fill out the Oline and sign Tebow to block for yeldon

Quote:I hope we draft a big power back to compliment Yeldon and Robinson. My favorite big back is James Conner from Pittsburg. He is 6'2" 245 pounds and is a monster with the ball. He would have been a real high pick but he hurt his knee and was diagnosed with cancer so I am not sure if he will come out this year or not. If he is there in the back of the draft, I would take a flyer on him and possibly redshirt him back to health.

For nostalgia reasons, I wouldn't oppose picking up Kelvin at the back of the draft but only if he wears #28.

I'm not sure it's wise taking any player who has been diagnosed with cancer.

'02

Quote:Cook isn't draft eligible so yeeeeeah...

Also. Henry has not decided yet if he wants to come out early. FWIW a former Eagles and Giants scout thinks Henry should be a fourth round pick - the "100-150" range if he declares for the draft.

Until Henry makes his intentions known to the NFL, I will not pass any judgment about how high or low he should be picked.

Quote:I'm not sure it's wise taking any player who has been diagnosed with cancer.

It depends on the situation. Are we talking about shelving away a player on the reserve/non-football illness (NFI) list for his entire rookie season, then putting him through physical therapy and conditioning drills to prepare him for practices at the team facility? The Packers did that when rookie punter Josh Bidwell was diagnosed with testicular cancer at the end of preseason. The player who at one point could not lift a 5-pound dumbbell looked like nothing was wrong when he did finally start kicking footballs in games that matter. So if the player with cancer is devoted to play football again after treatment is over, I would definitely talk to him about that, depending on what his doctor says.

Quote:It depends on the situation. Are we talking about shelving away a player on the reserve/non-football illness (NFI) list for his entire rookie season, then putting him through physical therapy and conditioning drills to prepare him for practices at the team facility? The Packers did that when rookie punter Josh Bidwell was diagnosed with testicular cancer at the end of preseason. The player who at one point could not lift a 5-pound dumbbell looked like nothing was wrong when he did finally start kicking footballs in games that matter. So if the player with cancer is devoted to play football again after treatment is over, I would definitely talk to him about that, depending on what his doctor says.

There's no guarantee that any treatment will cure cancer.

'02

We need a Mike Tolbert type of back. One that can power run, and lead block as well.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:My biggest question about running backs right now is about Derrick Henry. We apparently got a good one with T.J. Yeldon, but the pick and trade for Trent Richardson makes me wonder if, like Wisconsin, Alabama has a way of making all of its running backs look much better than they are. Should I be concerned about Henry on the basis of which school he attends after seeing this and, in 2015, the surprising downfall of Eddie Lacy?

With these players in mind, I wonder if it really is a good idea to chase Derrick Henry. That is why I keep calling for Ezekiel Elliott if it would not cost too much to trade up. You don't know what you will get out of Alabama or Wisconsin but RBs at Ohio State usually don't flop in the NFL.

No defense first 5 rounds. Our comlete 2013 defensive backfield was busts

I'd like to see them add a strong fireplug RB that can convert on short yardage.  Yeldon would be the main back and DRob is a good change of pace. 

Quote:We need a Mike Tolbert type of back. One that can power run, and lead block as well.

Among the slew of 29 and 30-year-old FA RBs, Tolbert is the one I'd seriously consider even though the Jaguars don't have a FB position.

'02

Quote:Among the slew of 29 and 30-year-old FA RBs, Tolbert is the one I'd seriously consider even though the Jaguars don't have a FB position.

If we can't get him, then hopefully we can find someone in the draft or as a UDFA.

I miss having a guy like Greg Jones.
No commercial messages in sigs

Well, Denard showed some good stuff today. Can he last a full season as the starter if he had to? I'm not sure, but honestly, he looked better than Yeldon today, IMO.

Watching the Jets game, Bilal Powell caught my eye. I could totally see him owning a spot on the Jaguars roster as a RB. Dude's definitely a tacks killer.

'02