Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
City Council Unanimously approves Amphitheater/Practice Fields

Quote:Shipyards are dead, no? I'm asking because I don't know

I have a friend who has made a career working for a company that does ground remediation, and he says the environmental cleanup cost for the shipyards should be somewhat north of $30 million.   Just to clean up the polluted ground.   And it might go far higher than that.  So, in his opinion, that could be what is holding things up: figuring out who is going to pay for that, and who would pay for any cost overruns. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:This is interesting to me. Cause he was talking about shipyards years ago, and yet it hasn't happened. But he wants upgrades to stadium and whamo, now they are here. I know this will not be the popular opinion, but I don't like J-Ville giving out 90 million (even tho Khan matching half is good), when multiple other cities are no longer funding this stuff. Good for Jags to stay in J-ville, but I am not so sure about it being good for the citizens.

It's not paid for by the citizens of the city. Since the balance of 45 million will be collected from the bed tax, it is being funded by tourists. Pretty sneaky if you ask me.
Signature goes here.

Quote:It's not paid for by the citizens of the city. Since the balance of 45 million will be collected from the bed tax, it is being funded by tourists. Pretty sneaky if you ask me.

Yep, funded by Eagles, tacks, clots, Squealers, Texan...fans.

Hell yeah, I like it.

But what about the libraries.....

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

why Dont Kahn use that moneey to higher a better teem?

#westsideisthebestsyde

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2015, 09:28 AM by Bullseye.)

WHile I don't want to derail my own thread, mentioning the practice facility with the coach, I'm thinking about what this franchise now has to offer a high profile coach, should Khan go in that direction.

1.  Very good stadium with excellent locker rooms, scoreboards.

2.  Excellent weight/training facilities.

3.  New state of the art indoor practice facility

4.  Good young QB, WRs and TE

5.  Good weather

6.  No state income tax

7.  An owner with deep deep pockets.

Potential negatives:

Small market/low profile

London trip

Personnel control?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote: 

6.  No state income tax

This doesn't get enough value.  Unless you can be in a market that has so much money in endorsement type deals, this means the world.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

7.  The best gosh darn fans in the league!

Huh

But the firefighters! Think about the firefighters!

Quote:This is interesting to me. Cause he was talking about shipyards years ago, and yet it hasn't happened. But he wants upgrades to stadium and whamo, now they are here. I know this will not be the popular opinion, but I don't like J-Ville giving out 90 million (even tho Khan matching half is good), when multiple other cities are no longer funding this stuff. Good for Jags to stay in J-ville, but I am not so sure about it being good for the citizens.
Unless the citizens are staying in Jacksonville hotels all the time It does not really impact them besides getting the benefit of two wonderful venues and all around increase in their Jacksonville based assets. Win/win in my book.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Curious that he removed the practice facility from the Shipyards development proposal.

Is this a sign he thinks the new practice facility will help this team be more competitive sooner, or is there concern the Shipyards could take longer to get started?

I wonder what will replace the practice fields in the Shipyards project.
They wanted an indoor practice facility as soon as possible.  The Shipyard project is going to take several years to come to fruition with the cleanup work that has to be done.  This actually works out better for all parties as they'll be able to utilize the space that was initially targeted for a new practice facility for something else.  That aquarium perhaps?  We shall see. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:They will break ground in early January after the season is over, and it is slated for completion in July.
Yup.  They're breaking ground 1/4 according to reports last night. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:I have a friend who has made a career working for a company that does ground remediation, and he says the environmental cleanup cost for the shipyards should be somewhat north of $30 million.   Just to clean up the polluted ground.   And it might go far higher than that.  So, in his opinion, that could be what is holding things up: figuring out who is going to pay for that, and who would pay for any cost overruns. 
That's precisely what's holding it up because they're trying to determine who is responsible for paying the cost of the cleanup. 

Quote:why Dont Kahn use that moneey to higher a better teem?

#westsideisthebestsyde

Justin Blackmon got Higher.. how did that work out?

Other cities aren't funding what stuff? 

The monies being allocated by the city for this come out of a bed tax that is specifically intended for this kind of project.  It can't be spent anywhere else, so the city is obligated to fund projects such as this if there's the potential that they will help increase tourism to the area.  That is the expectation with two new multi-use venues that can  be used for events that will attract visitors.  Increased tourism means increased revenue to the city, so it's absolutely a good thing for the citizens of Jacksonville financially.  It also is a good thing for residents because we'll see an increase in concerts and other events.  There's really not much of a downside to this.

While overall I think this is great news for the Jags.  I have to admit to being a bit concerned about what this is going to do in regards to the cost of my tickets.

I believe my seats are among those that are going to be eliminated when they revamp the clubs.  A survey I received recently was all about asking how much MORE I was willing to pay if I am relocated.    I may be priced out of the market.

Quote:Unless the citizens are staying in Jacksonville hotels all the time It does not really impact them besides getting the benefit of two wonderful venues and all around increase in their Jacksonville based assets. Win/win in my book.
And on top of that the city is getting half the cost paid for by an outside source. Khan is a tremendous asset to the city, and the powers that be know it. That $45 million is free money that along with their investment of $45 million will produce many, many, many dollars for years to come.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Justin Blackmon got Higher.. how did that work out?

Hes a Thug..! should of draftd Tebow..,

Quote:why Dont Kahn use that moneey to higher a better teem?

Teem to loe rite now.

This is so awesome! I cant wait to make a trip out, hopefully next season is finally my time!