Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Do you think Telvin Smith can play Leo

I think he can play any LB position much like Daryl Smith did in the Del Rio era.

But do you guys think he is big enough to play Leo?

And on the flip side, do you think he could use his athleticism to overcome him being on the lean side? Like a Bruce Irvin?

Please note...this is just food for thought. I would rather Telvin stay where he is because he is beastin.

Just wanted to bring up an interesting thought.

Before someone asks why would you change him to a different position, my answer is I wouldn't, it's just a question to see if you think he would excel at Leo.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He's 218 pounds ffs. 

Nah. He's a good bltizer but if he's lined up every down against a 300 pound tackle he'd get eaten for lunch.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:He's 218 pounds ffs.

I know

Quote:Nah. He's a good bltizer but if he's lined up every down against a 300 pound tackle he'd get eaten for lunch.

I agree with that. He would get mauled in the run game.

But on passing downs he would be a terror.

No

Can we do away with this LEO crap that doesnt work and play some real defense for a change?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I agree with that. He would get mauled in the run game.

But on passing downs he would be a terror.

By the 4th quarter of week 1 there may not be nothing left of little ol' Telvin.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Can we do away with this LEO crap that doesnt work and play some real defense for a change?

I'm with you 1000 percent!

Quote:Can we do away with this LEO crap that doesnt work and play some real defense for a change?

Michael Bennett,  Frank Clark,  Cliff Avril, and co. demonstrated in the Seahawks dominating win over the Vikings in Minneapolis that with the right personnel,  it can be a very effective strategy.   When you don't have the horses,  it's difficult to get a consistent enough pass rush regardless what Defensive strategy is used.  

Probably not, he's too thin

Ryan Davis should be the LEO.

lol

He'd probably draw a bunch of false starts, actually, because the LT would be too busy laughing at the pipsqueak opposite him to hold a set.

Quote:  Michael Bennett,  Frank Clark,  Cliff Avril, and co. demonstrated in the Seahawks dominating win over the Vikings in Minneapolis that with the right personnel,  it can be a very effective strategy.   When you don't have the horses,  it's difficult to get a consistent enough pass rush regardless what Defensive strategy is used.  
Michael Bennett is an absolute monster, period. Avril is better on one leg than Branch and Clemons are combined... and then some.

With Marks hurt, we don't have anybody who's even close to those two guys.

The scheme can absolutely work, but you need a nasty front four for it to really work. Even with the weapons the Hawks have in the secondary (Thomas, Sherman, Kam), there has been plenty of times this season where their front 4 has not gotten any pressure and the coverage was completely smoked.

When the personnel and this specific scheme is on point and rolling, it's great. When it's not, it's completely awful.

Another issue I really have is, why was Chris Smith a healthy scratch... He was one of 3 players last week who recorded a pressure on Rivers and you scratch him from this game? I understand he might not be the answer, but Branch is just logging reps at this point and Clemons is completely done.

The old saying, "play till you can't do it anymore, and then play one more year" is literally what Clemons is doing right now. Going through the motions and collecting his paycheck. It's not his fault, he has had a good career. He has just hit the father time wall and it's very clear to see.

Quote:Michael Bennett is an absolute monster, period. Avril is better on one leg than Branch and Clemons are combined... and then some.

With Marks hurt, we don't have anybody who's even close to those two guys.

The scheme can absolutely work, but you need a nasty front four for it to really work. Even with the weapons the Hawks have in the secondary (Thomas, Sherman, Kam), there has been plenty of times this season where their front 4 has not gotten any pressure and the coverage was completely smoked.

When the personnel and this specific scheme is on point and rolling, it's great. When it's not, it's completely awful.

Another issue I really have is, why was Chris Smith a healthy scratch... He was one of 3 players last week who recorded a pressure on Rivers and you scratch him from this game? I understand he might not be the answer, but Branch is just logging reps at this point and Clemons is completely done.

The old saying, "play till you can't do it anymore, and then play one more year" is literally what Clemons is doing right now. Going through the motions and collecting his paycheck. It's not his fault, he has had a good career. He has just hit the father time wall and it's very clear to see.

I realize that PFF is by no means the best indicator of how a player performed in a game.   But being that PFF puts out grades from every NFL game,  I believe that their grades for Michael Bennett and Frank Clark are going to be through the roof for the Seahawks game in Minnesota.    Clark was dealing with a hamstring injury earlier in the season.   But now that he's healthy,  the Seahawks have another versatile Defensive Lineman who can make the life of opposing QBs miserable.   Lack of enough depth up front,  especially on the edge,  is no longer an issue for the Seattle.    The Seahawks overall Defensive performance was as good as any as I have seen in the NFL this season.  

We are in complete agreement that it's essential for the front 4 to play at a high level for this scheme to truly have a chance to work.    I have no idea what direction the Jaguars will be going in for the 2016 season.  If they stay the course with Gus Bradley though,  in addition to having Dante Fowler Jr.  and S.D. Marks back next year,  there's no doubt that more options up front are needed for the Jaguars to get enough heat on the QB,  with regularity.    I've believed for a long time that much like with starting pitchers in MLB,  you can never have enough quality pass rushers.   I think back to how Jimmy Johnson rotated his Defensive Lineman up front with the Cowboys.  They were deep and fresh.  A lethal combo for the opposition.

Quote:  I realize that PFF is by no means the best indicator of how a player performed in a game.   But being that PFF puts out grades from every NFL game,  I believe that their grades for Michael Bennett and Frank Clark are going to be through the roof for the Seahawks game in Minnesota.    Clark was dealing with a hamstring injury earlier in the season.   But now that he's healthy,  the Seahawks have another versatile Defensive Lineman who can make the life of opposing QBs miserable.   Lack of enough depth up front,  especially on the edge,  is no longer an issue for the Seattle.    The Seahawks overall Defensive performance was as good as any as I have seen in the NFL this season.  

We are in complete agreement that it's essential for the front 4 to play at a high level for this scheme to truly have a chance to work.    I have no idea what direction the Jaguars will be going in for the 2016 season.  If they stay the course with Gus Bradley though,  in addition to having Dante Fowler Jr.  and S.D. Marks back next year,  there's no doubt that more options up front are needed for the Jaguars to get enough heat on the QB,  with regularity.    I've believed for a long time that much like with starting pitchers in MLB,  you can never have enough quality pass rushers.   I think back to how Jimmy Johnson rotated his Defensive Lineman up front with the Cowboys.  They were deep and fresh.  A lethal combo for the opposition.
Frank Clark came out of Michigan right? Wasn't he kicked off the team because of multiple domestic violence issues, or something along those lines? I might be wrong, but just thinking off the top of my head, I want to say that's the same guy.

Incredibly talented, but dropped in the draft because of those off field issues.

The few games Marks played in this season, our DL was a night and day difference in my opinion. Him playing on a bum leg, coming off of an ACL surgery, he made such a huge difference even in the small amount of time we had him on the field this year.

The blessing of his most recent injury, he now has plenty of time to heal up completely and be 100% for next year.

Quote:Frank Clark came out of Michigan right? Wasn't he kicked off the team because of multiple domestic violence issues, or something along those lines? I might be wrong, but just thinking off the top of my head, I want to say that's the same guy.

Incredibly talented, but dropped in the draft because of those off field issues.

The few games Marks played in this season, our DL was a night and day difference in my opinion. Him playing on a bum leg, coming off of an ACL surgery, he made such a huge difference even in the small amount of time we had him on the field this year.

The blessing of his most recent injury, he now has plenty of time to heal up completely and be 100% for next year.

It's the same guy except I'm only aware of one ( which is one too many )  domesitic violence issues.   Frank Clark also had a home invasion felony.   It's possible that there were other issues with him as well.  The Seahawks drafted him late in the 2nd Round.   My guess is because of character,  Clark would have fallen much further if not for the Seahawks taking a chance on him.   It seems like Seattle and Dallas roll the dice on character players as much as any teams in the NFL.   Cincinnati has a long history of this as well but of late they have been more cautious.

It's realistic to think that S.D. Marks can follow the path of Geno Atkins,  in getting back the vast majority of his pre-knee injury ability two seasons after the injury.   I agree with you that the current injury Marks has could be a long term blessing for him and the Jaguars.  

The LEO concept DOES work-if you have the right guys rushing the passer.

The LEO concept comes from the Walsh era 49ers teams.  In that scheme, it was called the elephant.

Players who played that elephant/LEO roe successfully include Fred Dean, Charles Haley, Tim Harris (both in Green Bay and San Francisco) and the guys in Seattle.

We haven't had the guys to do it.  Clemons was decent for a year.  Fowler is supposed to be that guy, but got hurt less than 30 minutes into his first minicamp practice.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:  Michael Bennett,  Frank Clark,  Cliff Avril, and co. demonstrated in the Seahawks dominating win over the Vikings in Minneapolis that with the right personnel,  it can be a very effective strategy.   When you don't have the horses,  it's difficult to get a consistent enough pass rush regardless what Defensive strategy is used.  

Michael Bennett isn't a Leo. He's the Jared Odrick of that defense, plays strongside DE in base D and rotates inside on passing downs. 

lol @ Telvin playing LEO