Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We Want To Change The Constitution

Quote:You may not tax religion, period.

That's not in the Constitution.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:That's not in the Constitution.

The USSC says that basically yes it is.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:The USSC says that basically yes it is.

When? 

Quote:When?

The power to tax is the power to destroy, the basic principle of the Court's precedence in the matter.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:The power to tax is the power to destroy, the basic principle of the Court's precedence in the matter.

Newspapers are taxed in spite of the 1st Amendment. I don't think there's any inherent right implied in the 1st Amendment to not being taxed.

Of course the nine elite rulers will sometimes just make things up to suit their own beliefs.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:The power to tax is the power to destroy, the basic principle of the Court's precedence in the matter.
It's amazing we still have a population to speak of, what with everyone destroyed by taxes and all.

Quote:It's amazing we still have a population to speak of, what with everyone destroyed by taxes and all.

As I Said, my rights are not negotiatiable. Period.

Quote:As I Said, my rights are not negotiatiable. Period.

We aren't granted the right to determine what rights we have beyond what is established constitutionally.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Everything's negotiable.  Unfortunately, you're probably not gonna like what we'll have to give up to keep them (or a semblance of them).

Kaishakunin for hire.

* (disclaimer) If you think I'm serious, hit yourself in the face w/ a hammer.

Quote:We aren't granted the right to determine what rights we have beyond what is established constitutionally.

The DoI is quite clear about what must and will happen. It will be a shame, but neccessary nonetheless.

Quote:Everything's negotiable. Unfortunately, you're probably not gonna like what we'll have to give up to keep them (or a semblance of them).

Liberty is never preserved without bloodshed.

The rights of an organized institution are not representative of the rights of its members. You have all the rights enumerated to you by the Consitution, minus the ones that Bush 43 and Obama have progressively stripped away. The rights of an organization that you belong to are not transferable to basic Constitutional human rights, because an organization is not a person.

Quote:The rights of an organized institution are not representative of the rights of its members. You have all the rights enumerated to you by the Consitution, minus the ones that Bush 43 and Obama have progressively stripped away. The rights of an organization that you belong to are not transferable to basic Constitutional human rights, because an organization is not a person.

Nice words. No basis in reality, but nice any way. 200 years of case law says otherwise.

Quote:Nice words. No basis in reality, but nice any way. 200 years of case law says otherwise.
Ok, let's try this then:

A business is an organized entity. Businesses are subject to taxation, just like the people who work there are. Why should other organized entities, assuming that we're applying the law equally and fairly to all parties, be exempt from the same taxation guidelines that a business of similar size and revenue would be subject to?

Separation does not mean exemption.

Quote:Nice words. No basis in reality, but nice any way. 200 years of case law says otherwise.

Adherence to SCOTUS rulings is apparently selective.

- Bob Marley

Quote:Ok, let's try this then:

A business is an organized entity. Businesses are subject to taxation, just like the people who work there are. Why should other organized entities, assuming that we're applying the law equally and fairly to all parties, be exempt from the same taxation guidelines that a business of similar size and revenue would be subject to?

Separation does not mean exemption.

You really struggle with the concept of shall make no law, don't y ya.

Quote:Adherence to SCOTUS rulings is apparently selective.

Not really.

Quote:You really struggle with the concept of shall make no law, don't y ya.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

"Respecting an establishment" refers to formalizing a state-recognized religion. Taxing a church does nothing to prevent the free exercise of religion. I don't see any particular struggles with comprehension on my end...

Quote:"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

"Respecting an establishment" refers to formalizing a state-recognized religion. Taxing a church does nothing to prevent the free exercise of religion. I don't see any particular struggles with comprehension on my end...

Most religions are pretty well established.

- Bob Marley

(This post was last modified: 12-08-2015, 07:11 AM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:The USSC says that basically yes it is.

Actually, the USSC says that basically tax exemption for churches it is not in the Constitution and that churches can be taxed if the government decides to tax them. 

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/tax-exemptions

"The Supreme Court has made clear that a tax exemption is neither prohibited

nor required under the First Amendment’s free-exercise and establishment

clauses. The Walz Court said that the long history of tax exemption for

religious organizations in no way creates an entitlement to any such exemption."