Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who to root for in week 13

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2015, 03:39 PM by Bullseye.)

Week 12 was a brutal, if not ultimately fatal week in terms of the Jaguars playoff aspirations.  The Jaguars lost a presumably winnable game at home, and that was compounded by every team winning we needed to lose besides Pittsburgh.  As it currently stands, the Texans and Colts are now effectively 2.5 games ahead of us for the division crown, and there are now SEVEN (7) teams ahead of us in the wild card race.

Mathematically the team is still in it.  But it will need a TON of help from other teams, and on the roster.

The help from other teams might come, emphasis on might.  The roster help isn't coming until the spring.

Lest anyone think I am being myopic, let me emphasize the likelihood of this team reaching the post season is slim, at this point.  But until the Jaguars are mathematically eliminated from the post season, I will kick around these threads.

This week, we need to root for:

Jaguars
to beat the loathsome and detestable tacks-'nuff said.

Buffalo
to beat the Texans-another pick em game involving the Bills.  While they maintain a game lead over us, we beat them head to head.  If we end up with the same record as them, we'll get in over them due to the tiebreaker.  The Texans, meanwhile have a two game lead over us, plus they won the first game against us.  If you think the Jaguars best chances of getting into the postseason lay in winning the division, then you root for Buffalo.  If, on the other hand, you think the wild card is the best route to go, then root for the Texans.

Pittsburgh to beat Indy-almost word for word as above, minus the head to head with Pittsburgh.  If you think division will get us in, root Pittsburgh.  If Wild card-root Indy.  The only problem with the wild card scenario is if we root for both Indy and Houston, they will both be over us in terms of division and wild card by two games for most of the rest of the way.

NY Giants
to beat NY Jets-They effectively have a three game lead over us, considering the head to head loss of that winnable game (grrrr)

Oakland to beat KC-KC leads us by two games and are red hot.  Oakland leads us by a game.  Do the math.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Dude, playoffs are not happening for this team.

Quote:Dude, playoffs are not happening for this team.
Did you not read my post?!?

Jax pretty much needs to win out at this point. If they do that, playoff odds are better than a coin flip. If they don't, odds are less than 10%.

Quote:Jax pretty much needs to win out at this point. If they do that, playoff odds are better than a coin flip. If they don't, odds are less than 10%.
Winning out would put them at 9-7.

While that's no guarantee of anything other than a winning record, the odds of making the playoffs would be pretty good I'd say, considering we'd have gained at least a game on both Indy and the Texans, and other teams we would be battling for wild card spots are bound to slip up at least one more time during these last 5 games.

That said, not sure I like the chances of this team winning out.

Yeah, Jax at 9-7 would be somewhere around 65-70% chance of making the playoffs.

A lot depends on the Houston-Indy game going the "right way" - but there's no way to know yet which one the Jags need. They need Indy to lose to have any shot at the division, but they need Houston to lose to have much shot at the wild card.

As much fun as it would be to see all three make the playoffs after all the crap the division has taken, the odds for that are not favorable at all - though technically possible.

I'm not really worried about the playoffs anymore.

I can't worry about any other teams but the Jags.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

I think at this point I will be rooting for all teams that have a losing record. We obviously need the best draft pick position we can get

We could be 11-0 right now and we'd still blow the playoffs.

We need to root for all teams with a worse record so we can move up in the draft without losing. Right now we would be #9 in the first round.

Quote:Did you not read my post?!?

I'll answer for him, no.

Quote:We need to root for all teams with a worse record so we can move up in the draft without losing. Right now we would be #9 in the first round.
how do you move up without losing? If you win you wont move up

Quote:How do you move up without losing? If you win you won't move up.

I was thinking maybe if teams with worse records win, they will move down. Take the Ravens for example. We have a weaker strength of schedule, so if they finish with the same record, we pick first.