Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars moving toward to having a great defense..

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Dave Caldwell - "were very close" = kiss of death.

We'll see.

• They need to actually sort out the Myles Jack situation and have it work out as a positive. That remains to be seen but it's pretty likely to work.
  • They need to sign or draft a #2 cornerback - Moving forward with Colvin and Johnson competing for that spot would be a mistake. 
  • They need Wash's tweaks to the scheme to pay dividends - and that includes Gipson having more impact at FS and the new SS actually being an upgrade when the bullets fly
Looks better on paper.  But - it's March. 

(This post was last modified: 03-09-2017, 12:11 PM by JagFan4Life78.)

still missing that other corner though

plus we always look great in the off season as do many other teams

New Jersey Jaguars fan.

Calais Campbell is going to Denver instead

Guess that makes this fake news.

'02

Strong defense is what gets teams deep into the playoffs and competing for Superbowls, unless you have an all-time great QB (even then, those defenses are playing really well to complement the QB).

-Patriots defense was playing really well last year (especially late)

-Falcons defense was also playing really well late in the year

-Broncos and Panthers defenses were outstanding in 2015

-Seahawks and Patriots defense really good 2014 (especially Seattle)

-Seahawks and Broncos outstanding defenses 2013

Etc, etc, etc, etc

The Jags defense is starting to take some shape. They really.looked improved the last half of the season (as expected, needing some time to gel for the younger guys).

I'd be happy if they keep drafting/plugging players on the defensive side of the ball. Keep building that thing until it becomes one of the most solid units in the league.

Quote:still missing that other corner though

plus we always look great in the off season as do many other teams

Over the past decade or so, Cincy is one team that has continued to draft corners even though they already had a solid player or two at that position.

They once drafted Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall in close drafts (consecutive years IIRC). On top of that, they picked up FAs like Deltha O'Neil, Nate Clements, Terence Newman to go along with the other two.

They've been doing that again recently too, Drafting Dre Kirkpatrick, Will III out of Houston, Shaun Smith, etc while also having Adam Jones back there too.

Cincy's defense has really been good the past decade, and has kept that team competitive just about each season.

I wouldn't mind the Jags taking a CB or Safety in the early rounds this draft,, and keep doing it. Keep getting guys and find someone to pair with Ramsey.

If this defense improves to allow only 20 PPG instead of 25, we would have won 7 games alone last year even with our bad offense. 20PPG allowed is around the 10th best defense.

If we predict the defense to cut PPG allowed down and the offense to score more, we should be in the 8-9 win range. At least.

We averaged 19.9 PPG on offense in 2016, we averaged 23.5 PPG in 2015. Give us 2015 offense and an improved 2016 defense and we have no excuses.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:If this defense improves to allow only 20 PPG instead of 25, we would have won 7 games alone last year even with our bad offense. 20PPG allowed is around the 10th best defense.

If we predict the defense to cut PPG allowed down and the offense to score more, we should be in the 8-9 win range. At least.

We averaged 19.9 PPG on offense in 2016, we averaged 23.5 PPG in 2015. Give us 2015 offense and an improved 2016 defense and we have no excuses.

Wow. Nice eye. 7 games if we can close up 5 points per.

Quote:Wow. Nice eye. 7 games if we can close up 5 points per.

And that's without improving the offense at all
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

My question is, what happens to Fowler? You can't have a first round pick sit on the bench. A lot of people have been tough on him, but I think he put up decent numbers...considering he was essentially a rookie coming off a major injury.

Quote:My question is, what happens to Fowler? You can't have a first round pick sit on the bench. A lot of people have been tough on him, but I think he put up decent numbers...considering he was essentially a rookie coming off a major injury.
Ngakoue and Fowler will rotate on base downs at weak side DE.

They'll both be on the field at DE in Nickle, with Campbell and Malik being the main stays on the inside.

Quote:My question is, what happens to Fowler? You can't have a first round pick sit on the bench. A lot of people have been tough on him, but I think he put up decent numbers...considering he was essentially a rookie coming off a major injury.

After the Bradley/Leo Otto Lotto debacle, I'm willing to bet the kid has the talent to play. Just look at how he was blowing everything up in the spring game.

I think he explodes this year.

Quote:And that's without improving the offense at all

Yeah that's crazy to imagine. Like a nice Running Back that can give us 1200 yards and 8 to 10 tds. That will give us atleast another win. I'll take 8-8

Quote:After the Bradley/Leo Otto Lotto debacle, I'm willing to bet the kid has the talent to play. Just look at how he was blowing everything up in the spring game.

I think he explodes this year.
The Leo position isn't going anywhere. While the name "Leo" will probably go away, the weak side DE in this scheme will stay the same.

Quote:The Leo position isn't going anywhere. While the name "Leo" will probably go away, the weak side DE in this scheme will stay the same.

Bradley though

Quote:Ngakoue and Fowler will rotate on base downs at weak side DE.

They'll both be on the field at DE in Nickle, with Campbell and Malik being the main stays on the inside.

Sounds about right. He'll get more than his share of snaps. Always good to have a rotation on that end. I think our passing down line that you mentioned will be very good.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS