Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Quote:MM didn't play all too well, I won't say he played horribly, but he didn't help out with his cause.

The only TD scored by you guys was GIFTED by the refs multiple times on that drive... Whatever, it happens. So do injuries. 

Gifted by the refs? Don't be all salty about calls, they were pretty fair all night. He ran 23 yard for the TD on a play where it looked like a safety took a bad angle and blocked Telvin. He made chain moving plays, didn't turn the ball over, and kept his team in position to win the game. If not for the punt return and fumble, the outcome is likely to be different.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It is an uneasy feeling ending up with a top 3 pick having no idea if your GM will make the right move or if you are even on the right track. Two years in a row... I'd say I feel for you guys, but kind of happy to see it.

The two PI's called were absolutely BOGUS.

I will give you the defensive holding, and I'm not talking about the one issued to our defensive lineman (what the hell kind of call was that?!?).

Either way, that drive survived because of the zebras.

Again, my issue stems from the fact that you irrationally make projections about MM vs BB - in which you were called out on multiple times and even you admitted to last week. It's too late to dig up your posts about you comparing Aaron Rodgers (who has been in the league since 2005) vs Bortles (who was drafted last year - and was not supposed to start in his first year anyways). 

There are plenty of those quotes in the archives from last week. I'm just telling you to be a rational fan too, especially after knowing that you are a graduate student. 

Good game, even though it was ugly at times, and have a good night.

Quote:Its obviously mistaken though, I mean that "5 yard slant" was more like a 10 yard pass to convert a 3rd down. I don't get the point regardless, don't Arob and Hurns make a great number of plays for Bortles? Why would you fault the QB for his WR making a play? I mean Bortles threw a pass into multiple defenders tonight and Arob managed to come down with it, and he's been doing it all season. Mariota doesn't have anywhere near the level of playmakers that Bortles has, his receivers tonight were practice squad guys. I think for him to be doing the things he is doing and having the type of production he has as a rookie given his circumstances is pretty impressive.

You keep saying that. Is DGB a practice squad guy?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:You keep saying that. Is DGB a practice squad guy?
I didn't address that point because it is blatantly obvious that DGB and Harry Douglas are not practice squad players LOL - which goes back to my previous point about irrational projections.

Quote:I didn't address that point because it is blatantly obvious that DGB and Harry Douglas are not practice squad players LOL - which goes back to my previous point about irrational projections.

He is a rookie WR who is normally 4th on the depth chart, he is an athletic freak but extremely raw. He ran sloppy routes all night and even cost Mariota a INT in the last game because of his poor route running. Harry Douglas is a washed up vet who was acting as their WR1 all night. If you think him along with guys like Supermaw and Fasano are great playmakers I don't know what to tell you. Even if you want to discount the stats from his last drive, he still accounted for over 200 yards on 60%+ completion with a TD and no turnovers. Obviously when the line can't block and the receivers can't get any separation its going to be hard to make big plays down the field. He had his fair share of bad throws but overall there was a lot more good than bad.

Even Bortles, who has great WRs was unable to really get anything going tonight. His only TD came on a drive where they started inside the 10 and he also had two really bad turnovers. If I can recognize that he still made some good things happen despite everything else, why can't you guys just give Mariota credit for playing well as a rookie? Do you guys remember what Bortles looked like in his first 8 starts? Go remind yourself if you're ready to write off Mariota this early into his career when he is putting up record numbers as a rookie.

Quote:Please spin the outcome of the game for us like you always do...

Don't forget to mention how amazing Mariofluff was on the last drive accumulating garbage stats.
The Titans suck, but I thought Mariota played a decent game, especially considering that he had no help at all from his line or his wide receivers. I will say this: he'd better learn how to play out of the pocket, and he'd better learn it quick. A QB that relies as heavily on his legs as Mariota does is one ACL tear away from being a scout-team safety.

Quote:The Titans suck, but I thought Mariota played a decent game, especially considering that he had no help at all from his line or his wide receivers. I will say this: he'd better learn how to play out of the pocket, and he'd better learn it quick. A QB that relies as heavily on his legs as Mariota does is one ACL tear away from being a scout-team safety.

This was the most he has look to run all season, he is not a run first QB at all. Even when he breaks the pocket he prefers to make a throw downfield instead of taking off to run. To put it into perspective, Bortles has more rushing attempts than Mariota. 

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2015, 04:30 AM by lastonealive.)

Just re watched. I just don't see it. Bortles ceiling and current play light years ahead.

Mariota just can't make the same throws, everything looks a bit of a struggle downfield. 

Quote:Just re watched. I just don't see it. Bortles ceiling and current play light years ahead

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I don't think Bortles will ever be efficient enough to lead his team to anything of significance, but that's just me. In 24 career games he only has 2 where he didn't throw an INT or fumble, and only has 6 games over 60% completion. In comparison, Mariota already has 3  games without a turnover in his first 8 and has only been held below 60% completion once in his career (with a healthy 7.8 YPA). In my opinion Mariota has the potential to be a dynamic dual threat QB with elite efficiency from the pocket, but he obviously needs time to develop and competent players around him. It will be interesting to see where he is at in his development after his 24th game.

Quote:Bortles made those receivers.

Like that catch by ARob where he reached over the defender to snag it while getting laid out by another defender? Or do you mean like that TD catch to beat the Bills by Hurns?

'02

Pointless comparing. Bortles throws way more down field. He's very much Andrew Luck but more athletic/bigger arm. But with the same boneheaded errors.

Mariota never gonna carry a team on his back like Bortles. Looks a bit Vince Young throwing.

The Robinson diving low catch on the sideline really showed off what Bortles can do that Mariota could only dream of.

Quote:How does that describe Bortles? He has a top 5 receiving group (Robinson was great today, and that catch in traffic was incredible), a pro bowl TE, and a pretty dynamic RB. Mariota was throwing to guys who were literally coming straight from the practice squad while under duress most of the night. I thought he played well all things considering, and if not for the punt return and fumble he had them in good position to win the game. Bortles played well except for a few plays, obviously the fumble and INT were bad. But I wouldn't exactly say he outplayed Mariota. 

I think he was talking about how Bortles was under constant pressure all day. Our OL was horrible in that game. I think it goes for granted that Bortles has a better case to receivers to throw to, although I wish we had Delanie Walker at TE. When we signed Julius Thomas, I thought he'd be even better, but I thought wrong.

This said, Bortles definitely out played Mariota. Mariota makes a living throwing his percentage throws, but he seriously struggles throwing anything over 15 yards. Occasionally he'll find a wide open target maybe 20 yards downfield. Beyond that forget it. HIs deep accuracy is absolutely atrocious. I also noticed how the Titans forced the run for the most part even when they weren't getting anywhere with it to keep Mariota from having to throw to much. To even compare what MM was doing to what BB was doing is a joke in itself.

'02

Exactly Bortles moved us down field with ease too against a much better D. We left so many points on the field. Could easily have been a blowout.

Quote:The two PI's called were absolutely BOGUS.

I agree. The first one I didn't see any PI at all and don't know what the refs were talking about. And on the 2nd one, Colvin has just as much right to the football and was going for it.

By the way, I've come to realize the best play in the Titans playbook as I've now seen it a couple different weeks. It's a throw about 10 yards deep in the middle of the field where the receiver tips the ball up so it flies another ten yards deeper into the waiting hands of Delanie Walker. Clealry it's all part of their called play. :teehee:<strong>
</strong>

'02

Quote:Do you guys remember what Bortles looked like in his first 8 starts? Go remind yourself if you're ready to write off Mariota this early into his career when he is putting up record numbers as a rookie.

Actually, Bortles looked pretty darn good his first 8 starts while giving us all sorts of hope that he understood how to maneuver in the pocket and make plays downfield. The main issues he had back then were sloppy mechanics and a tendency to throw ugly INTs. It was his last 8 starts after his arm went limp that he looked pathetic. Overall, nobody here is arguing that BB had a good rookie season.

Granted MM has put up nice stats for a rookie, but what many of us keep pointing out is that he can't make all the throws and appears to be a guy who might always be a dink and dunk master but never a true downfield threat. Maybe he'll thrive in this role, but it's tough to imagine him really taking the Titans that far when his accuracy over 15 yards starts going downhill so drastically.

'02

Noodle arm garbage qb. I love that the tacks drafted him.

I think the problems with his deep ball are a concern, but they are largely overstated. There aren't many rookies that come into the league and have great success with the deep ball. He has the ability, I think part of it is that he needs playmakers that can get the type of separation needed. Obviously there are a lot of misconceptions on the type of QB Mariota is, I think some of you guys would do well to read this analysis of him from earlier in the season. It seems like everyone in the NFL except posters on this board are high on his potential. Could it be you guys are too bitter to recognize his potential?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-ro...us-mariota

Quote:Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I don't think Bortles will ever be efficient enough to lead his team to anything of significance, but that's just me. In 24 career games he only has 2 where he didn't throw an INT or fumble, and only has 6 games over 60% completion. In comparison, Mariota already has 3  games without a turnover in his first 8 and has only been held below 60% completion once in his career (with a healthy 7.8 YPA). In my opinion Mariota has the potential to be a dynamic dual threat QB with elite efficiency from the pocket, but he obviously needs time to develop and competent players around him. It will be interesting to see where he is at in his development after his 24th game.

Again, Mariota thrive on making high percentage throws so it makes sense that his completion ratio is so much better. I feel like a broken record here. Granted gun slingers like Bortles tend to throw more INTs, but they also tend to make up for them by coming back for TDs which Blake does over and over again. You seem to contradict yourself on BB. I've seen you mention how you see great potential in Bortles where I start to agree with you, and then you come back with this? I've seen plenty enough to know if anyone can get the Jaguars deep into the Playoffs and possibly to a SB, it's Bortles. I don't see how you can sit back there and say you never see him getting us anywhere because of his completion ratio and turnovers. These are things that can be improved, and the rest of his game has been phenomenal aside from still not quite getting how to throw a fade. How can you sit back there and turn a blind eye to what BB is doing out there?

Look, I'll give you that MM is having a better rookie season than Bortles' rookie season. But you have to be blind, drunk. or just fooling yourself, if you really think MM is playing better than Bortles right now. MM has fantastic rookie stats comparing to some of the best rookies all-time with his short-game expertise, but from what I've seen of the two, Bortles flat out has a far higher ceiling and greater long-term potential.

'02