Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We Should Cut Jeremy Parnell

I know it's not going to happen because every indication from Caldwell and company is that we still really like Parnell, but I wish we would cut him and sign Rick Wagner, free agent from the Ravens.  He was graded as the 19th best Offensive tackle in the league by PFF, and had a top 10 grade as a pass blocker, and he's only 27 years old.  Parnell has a cap hit this year of $6.5 million, with zero dead money.  He will have a $5 million cap hit next year, and a $6 million cap hit on the last year of his deal in 2019.  Cut him, and give Wagner the 10-11 million a year he's going to command.  Bring in Zietler, or another one of the top free agent guards, and lets get this offensive line fixed finally.  Fixing the line is the only way we can see what we truly have in Bortles, as well as having a more successful run game.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017, 12:22 PM by Teal Curtain.)

Doubt we will sign Wagner. He will set the market. Fluker at RT makes most sense to me. 

We have the money so who cares if he sets the market.  Lets set the market on Right Tackle and Guard.  If you cut the $6 Million from Parnell and give Wagner $11 Million, your talking about a difference of $5 Million/year.  I don't think that would break our bank lol.  The cap is only going to continue to rise.  Lets spend the money instead of being terrible every regular season, and then being top 3 in cap space every off season.  I don't know about you, but I'd ready to spend that cap space on some good players at key positions of need and win some damn games!

DJ Fluker is being released by the Chargers. Could be a name to consider either at RT or guard.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Doubt we will sign Wagner. He will set the market. Fluker at RT makes most sense to me. 

Fluker was so bad, they kicked him inside to OG.

Even if you are adding a player to compete at RT, there's not much reason to cut Parnell right now.  They may even want to consider keeping him as depth or trying him at guard if they sign or draft a tackle. 

6.5 million is not a crazy figure for an O-Lineman and they are not likely eager to cut him loose because of the money - even after a big FA signing on the line. 

Quote:Fluker was so bad, they kicked him inside to OG.
Worse than Parnell?

Quote:I know it's not going to happen because every indication from Caldwell and company is that we still really like Parnell, but I wish we would cut him and sign Rick Wagner, free agent from the Ravens.  He was graded as the 19th best Offensive tackle in the league by PFF, and had a top 10 grade as a pass blocker, and he's only 27 years old.  Parnell has a cap hit this year of $6.5 million, with zero dead money.  He will have a $5 million cap hit next year, and a $6 million cap hit on the last year of his deal in 2019.  Cut him, and give Wagner the 10-11 million a year he's going to command.  Bring in Zietler, or another one of the top free agent guards, and lets get this offensive line fixed finally.  Fixing the line is the only way we can see what we truly have in Bortles, as well as having a more successful run game.

I don't know about cutting Parnell, but I certainly think we need an upgrade from him. Whether it be signing Wagner or taking a RT like Taylor Moton in the draft, I believe we need a new starting RT. With that said, I don't believe we'd need to cut Parnell. I believe someone would trade for him. With the absence of quality OT's in free agency and the draft, I believe someone would pony up a late round pick for him. 

Quote:Worse than Parnell?

About the same.

Fwiw Parnell did play better in the second half of the season and it was recently disclosed that he has some injury issues he was battling through.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Why do you keep bringing up DJ Fluker?  He was pretty bad last year.  According to PFF, he allowed 2.5 QB pressures per game from guard, and 3.2 pressures per game from Right Tackle, and his run blocking was worse.  He has given up 20 sacks and has had 35 penalities in 4 seasons.  The Charger's O-Line was arguably the worst in the league last year, and they are letting him go, that should tell you all you need to know.  Quoting Sam Monson from PFF tweet, "Fluker's versatility in the same way a traffic cone is on the offensive line, it doesn't really matter if it's placed at guard or tackle." 

I would cut Parnell as well. Only because we could use his cap hit on a upgrade at RT. Throw in 3-4 mill and sign a better RT.

Also I understand that we are not going to do this, I just wish we would.  I also understand that paying a right tackle $6.5 million is a pretty good deal considering other contracts.  But is it a good deal to pay less for mediocre play, or pay more for better play, and start winning games.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm growing tired of watching every game, every Sunday, and seeing the same [BLEEP] result.

We have enough cap space where we can sign his replacement and then cut him later if necessary. I'm all for a total rebuild of the oline minus Linder.

Quote:We have enough cap space where we can sign his replacement and then cut him later if necessary. I'm all for a total rebuild of the oline minus Linder.

^This

There's no hurry to cut Parnell. If we can sign Wagner then, and only then, should it be a consideration. We don't want to be stuck with another Guy Whimper if there's no upgrade to Parnell already on the roster.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Agreed.  Obviously find Parnell's replacement first and then cut him.

Quote:Fluker was so bad, they kicked him inside to OG.

You know your team is going to suck when you have to revert to that kind of strategy.   ... sure sounds familiar.

Quote:Doubt we will sign Wagner. He will set the market. Fluker at RT makes most sense to me. 
Fluker is horrible.  He is a turnstile.

This is a good reason why teams should be cautious when handing out loads of money to Free Agents. You wanted a Tackle two years, ago, okay you got one, you can't do anything about it now that you want this years flavor of the week.

Quote:Fwiw Parnell did play better in the second half of the season and it was recently disclosed that he has some injury issues he was battling through.
Going into week 9 against the Chiefs, Parnell had only given up one sack and everyone was singing his praises. Then Dee Ford happened, and a couple more rough games. After that's it's been a reputation bloodbath for him despite his rebound late in the season as you mentioned. 

Dave and Doug have both gone to bat for him particularly multiple times this offseason, so I wouldn't count on anyone but him starting next year.