Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Can we succeed with Yeldon and Ivory?

Quote:In my opinion, my very strong opinion, The blocking is much more important than the running. So yes we will have great success with those two if we get an offensive line in front of them.

The most frustrating thing with the last four years of rebuilding was our failure to build an offensive line.

Yep agree. Look around the league at some of the best young QBs. Carr- Great line, Cousins - Great line , Mariota - Great line , Dak- Great line

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:When I say short yardage back, I'm referring to the fact that you basically have to take him off the field in longer yardage situations (5+ yards). You don't have to do that with guys like Elliott, A.P., either of the running backs from Atlanta, DeMarco Murray, LeVeon Bell or several others around the league. We don't need a situational RB. We need an all purpose runner and we don't have one on the roster. I believe there are those types of runners in this draft. We must find one.

A 1st down is more than 5 yards and you don't need to take him out for that obviously. Do you mean that he should be taken off the field on 3rd down? I agree with that, makes more sense to have a more dynamic guy back there. That doesn't make him a short yardage back.

We do need another guy though. McCaffrey would be great for that role. I still like Perine too if he can drop 10 pounds.

Quote:A 1st down is more than 5 yards and you don't need to take him out for that obviously. Do you mean that he should be taken off the field on 3rd down? I agree with that, makes more sense to have a more dynamic guy back there. That doesn't make him a short yardage back.

We do need another guy though. McCaffrey would be great for that role. I still like Perine too if he can drop 10 pounds.

Yes, that's what I mean by having an every down back. I don't want situational running backs like McCaffrey. When you keep subbing in and out for certain situations, you end up making mistakes. We need a RB who we can leave in and have confidence in all situations. I just don't understand why people are making this idea so complicated? It's not. Why wouldn't we want an every down runner? I see no drawbacks. When we keep adding situational guys and one of those players get injured, you're left with a one dimensional backfield. How is that a benefit to anyone?

I like Perine alot as well. I view him as an every down runner. I agree, I'd want him to lose 10-15 lbs. He ran a disappointing 40 at the Combine, but he's heavier than he was when he was breaking a lot of long runs in college. I believe he can get that speed back, by trimming down and obviously he has the power running already in his arsenal. I'd be thrilled to have a RB like him. 

Absolutely not. First, because we saw what they were capable of doing last year, which was completely ineffective. This is mostly because of Yeldon. Yeldon is not a good player, I think he's one of the worst starting backs in the NFL. Don't use the offensive line or Gus as excuses, be honest with yourself, Yeldon is not very good.

Quote:Absolutely not. First, because we saw what they were capable of doing last year, which was completely ineffective. This is mostly because of Yeldon. Yeldon is not a good player, I think he's one of the worst starting backs in the NFL. Don't use the offensive line or Gus as excuses, be honest with yourself, Yeldon is not very good.
MoJo behind that line would be ineffective. The line could not push anyone all year to open any semblance of a crease. Line is the problem. Line coach was the problem.

With our current oline, we need a cutback runner.

Quote: Don't use the offensive line or Gus as excuses, be honest with yourself, Yeldon is not very good.
The O-Line isn't an excuse.  It's a reason.

Gus has nothing to do with it, but Olson certainly played a role in the ineffectiveness of the run-game. The shift in efficiency when Hackett took over the play calling displayed that quite plainly. 

I don't think Yeldon is the long term answer, but to think he wouldn't have accomplished more behind a better line is foolish. 

People are insane here! How we can we make excuses for Bortles with the o-line but completely dismiss our running backs? You think Ivory was the leading AFC rusher before he got here for no reason? These guys are being hit the second the ball is in their hands. smh 

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017, 12:14 PM by JackCity.)

Quote:Yes, that's what I mean by having an every down back. I don't want situational running backs like McCaffrey. When you keep subbing in and out for certain situations, you end up making mistakes. We need a RB who we can leave in and have confidence in all situations. I just don't understand why people are making this idea so complicated? It's not. Why wouldn't we want an every down runner? I see no drawbacks. When we keep adding situational guys and one of those players get injured, you're left with a one dimensional backfield. How is that a benefit to anyone?

I like Perine alot as well. I view him as an every down runner. I agree, I'd want him to lose 10-15 lbs. He ran a disappointing 40 at the Combine, but he's heavier than he was when he was breaking a lot of long runs in college. I believe he can get that speed back, by trimming down and obviously he has the power running already in his arsenal. I'd be thrilled to have a RB like him.

McCaffrey can play on every down. I know you don't like him because he's white but he's a good player. Of course we would want an every down player.

Quote:McCaffrey can play on every down. I know what you don't like him because he's white but he's a good player. Of course we would want an every down player.

You don't want McCaffrey in on every down, he can be a great player, but he needs to be in a two-back system

if ivory is healthy hed be fine. Hes not the best but hes good enough. Id like a running back in the later rounds but if not whatever. The oline and scheme are far bigger problems than the quality of our backs.

Quote:McCaffrey can play on every down. I know what you don't like him because he's white but he's a good player. Of course we would want an every down player.

You don't want McCaffrey in on every down, he can be a great player, but he needs to be in a two-back system

Quote:You don't want McCaffrey in on every down, he can be a great player, but he needs to be in a two-back system
I don't agree with that. No team plays a running back every down as it is but its not like McCaffrey is only limited as 3rd down guy. He can play on every down if you need him to.

2016 Yards per game under Olson:  72.6

2016 Yards per game under Hackett:  124.8

Tell me again why Ivory and Yeldon can't be effective behind a better line and why I can't use coaching as an "excuse?"

Quote:2016 Yards per game under Olson:  72.6

2016 Yards per game under Hackett:  124.8

Tell me again why Ivory and Yeldon can't be effective behind a better line and why I can't use coaching as an "excuse?"
Bingo. There was a noticeable improvement once those slow developing run plays Olson loved disappeared.

Idk if Yeldon could escape a wet paper bag.

Have you seen my baseball?

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017, 12:18 PM by jseymour.)

Quote:The O-Line isn't an excuse.  It's a reason.

Gus has nothing to do with it, but Olson certainly played a role in the ineffectiveness of the run-game. The shift in efficiency when Hackett took over the play calling displayed that quite plainly. 

I don't think Yeldon is the long term answer, but to think he wouldn't have accomplished more behind a better line is foolish. 
Marone had responsibility to develop to O-Line. He himself failed at his only job at the time.

Quote:Marone had responsibility to develop to O-Line. He himself failed at his only job at the time.
He had the players he had and he was stuck with Olson's scheme for 7 games. I'm not saying they couldn't have been coached better, but despite the rotation at LG they still ran for 125 yards per game after Hackett took over.  

Upgrade two players on that line (which will happen this off season) and I think that number goes up. That would be over 2000 yards on the season and top ten in the league easily. Maybe top 5. 

I may be mistaken (I didn't do play counts etc.) but it felt to me as if Olson was quick to abandon the run and would go pass heavy when he felt like he was in "catch up" mode (which also seemed to be most of the time, lol)

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:You don't want McCaffrey in on every down, he can be a great player, but he needs to be in a two-back system

Exactly.