Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What is it you like about a particular Presidential candidate?

Quote:His son Tagg said it.

I think it was McCain that said he sometimes felt like he should bow out and hated running against such a historical figure like Obama.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Marco Rubio - I think that he's a smart man that is well spoken.  I especially like his vision for the future of this country, and how he talks about the American Dream.  He himself was raised in a lower class home, worked hard, earned a degree and became a lawyer; the essence of the American Dream.  He has since risen up to be the political leader that he is today, and contrary to those on the far right is willing to reach across the political aisle to solve problems.

The biggest knock on him is his immigration stance, and I'm one that actually agrees with him on this aspect.  His vision is actually a realistic, common-sense approach.  The whole "build a wall and deport them all" mantra is not realistic and will never happen.

Regarding his vision for economics, he is actually for giving those that need a "hand up" rather than a "hand out" the tools necessary to raise themselves and their families up.

Actually, while I don't agree with Rubio on things like social issues, I do think he's the person that has the combination of political experience, knowledge of the issues, and communication ability that could make a decent president.  

So many of the candidates on the Republican side, the ones at the top of the polls, are in my opinion completely unqualified because of the fact that they just don't seem to know enough about the issues.   Sure, they can learn on the job, but that would be remedial work so basic that they would be prey to their advisors, and they'd wind up being nothing but a figurehead.  

But I will say this about what you said: the stuff about vision for the country and the American dream is just window dressing.   Don't fall for that.   The real question is, do they have the ability to do the job, and after that, what do they intend to do.    So many of these candidates on both sides just don't measure up, in my mind, to having the basic ability to do the job.   They just don't seem to be mentally equipped.   Rubio is at least a smart guy with experience and knowledge of the issues.    That's a big head start in my mind when it comes to evaluating who should be President. 

Quote:Actually, while I don't agree with Rubio on things like social issues, I do think he's the person that has the combination of political experience, knowledge of the issues, and communication ability that could make a decent president.  

So many of the candidates on the Republican side, the ones at the top of the polls, are in my opinion completely unqualified because of the fact that they just don't seem to know enough about the issues.   Sure, they can learn on the job, but that would be remedial work so basic that they would be prey to their advisors, and they'd wind up being nothing but a figurehead.  

But I will say this about what you said: the stuff about vision for the country and the American dream is just window dressing.   Don't fall for that.   The real question is, do they have the ability to do the job, and after that, what do they intend to do.    So many of these candidates on both sides just don't measure up, in my mind, to having the basic ability to do the job.   They just don't seem to be mentally equipped.   Rubio is at least a smart guy with experience and knowledge of the issues.    That's a big head start in my mind when it comes to evaluating who should be President. 

The thing that quite a few people don't get though, is the President has very little power to implement policies that he or she wants.  The real power is within Congress.  The democrats can promise free stuff all they want, but it won't happen without Congress approving it.  Donald Trump can promise a wall and deportations all he wants, but again, it's not happening without Congress.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Actually, while I don't agree with Rubio on things like social issues, I do think he's the person that has the combination of political experience, knowledge of the issues, and communication ability that could make a decent president.  

That's pretty telling.  In the case of Ben Carson you VERIFIABLY have one of the smartest people to ever live on this planet performing the most critical and objective tasks imaginable where if you're wrong people die.  

You have one of the wealthiest people on the planet leading a business organization worth billion of dollars who graduated from one of the most prolific business schools in all the world.  

You also have Carly Fiorina who has lead a business entity with a larger budget and revenue stream than most STATES in the union, 

And you have been conditioned to think that they aren't MENTALLY EQUIPPED because you may not like a comment they made during a 90 second response?  

More importantly, the national budget is roughly around 4 trillion dollars.  If you have been duped into thinking that there is a man or woman on the planet that is going to have intimate expertise over 4 trillion dollars then you're kidding yourself and you're drinking the kool aid.  You talk about government experience but think about that for a second.  By the admission of politicians its experience voting on bills they themselves haven't read and don't understand.  

What the Fiorina's and Trump's of the world already know is that the job of the leader is to set the vision and direction for the country and build a team that can keep the train running on time.  When you look at the current administration you have a reflection of a guy that isn't a nuts a bolts policy wonk.  He is a guy who had a vision for the country and set about implementing said vision.  If you think that his general philosophy has been good for the country then Hillary Clinton is your gal.  If not then i think that the litmus test might be a little premature.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The thing that quite a few people don't get though, is the President has very little power to implement policies that he or she wants.  The real power is within Congress.  The democrats can promise free stuff all they want, but it won't happen without Congress approving it.  Donald Trump can promise a wall and deportations all he wants, but again, it's not happening without Congress.
This is very true. But a good President can get Congress to see his/her vision and only needs the majority to say 'yay'.

Sadly the Congress doesn't really seem to be up to the challenge of doing their jobs. They just want to argue and throw temper tantrums when they don't get their way. Running a country is a team effort and all we seem to have are individuals who don't play well with others.