Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who is the most shockingly drafted Jaguar player?

Alualu easily.
Shock the world

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Agree with the OP, one fabulous 40-time and Matt Jones rises into the first-round at a position he's never played.

He played in the Senior Bowl as a WR and beat the top two CBs in the draft in that game. That was also the heyday of Hines Ward, another college QB who had become a Pro Bowl WR.

In retrospect it was a mistake of course, but at the time it wasn't a shocker. I was more surprised by the Bortles pick.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2017, 01:50 PM by pirkster.)

It should have began and ended with R Jay Soward.

But unfortunately, that was only the tip of the iceberg for our first round fail history.

There shouldn't be any competition for R Jay, but instead there's far too much.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:He played in the Senior Bowl as a WR and beat the top two CBs in the draft in that game. That was also the heyday of Hines Ward, another college QB who had become a Pro Bowl WR.

In retrospect it was a mistake of course, but at the time it wasn't a shocker. I was more surprised by the Bortles pick.

When Bortles was drafted I was at the ale house eating wings... And was like who? Bortles! [BLEEP]?

Alu is looking like one of the worst picks ever relative to the talent in round 1

If only Jones had work ethic. He could've been elite.

Tyson Alualu has been a very good player.  The man has answered the bell every game for 7 years.  Very valuable as a rotational player since he can play at least 3 of the 4 DL spots.  His recent exploits as an offensive player have been productive also.  In a way he is one of the greatest Jaguars.  Always underappreciated, but how many negative games has he had?  How many negative PLAYS has he had?  The perception does not match the reality.  The main criticism is he was overdrafted, the one thing he had zero control over. 

This made me look at Jones'combine numbers, guy ran a 4.37 at 6'6 242 lbs, oh man. Shame he was lazy as hell.

Gabbert wasn't shocking but it was an awful pick. He wasn't even good in college. And we traded up for him.

Quote:Tyson Alualu has been a very good player.  The man has answered the bell every game for 7 years.  Very valuable as a rotational player since he can play at least 3 of the 4 DL spots.  His recent exploits as an offensive player have been productive also.  In a way he is one of the greatest Jaguars.  Always underappreciated, but how many negative games has he had?  How many negative PLAYS has he had?  The perception does not match the reality.  The main criticism is he was overdrafted, the one thing he had zero control over. 

Yep, we've gotten more out of him than Blackmon and R Jay combined.

He's got as many passes defended as they do touchdowns.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

My draft surprises...

1998 3rd round selection of QB Jonathan Quinn...had never heard of him.

2007 early 4th round selection of Adam Podlesh...wasn't a fan of drafting punters early.

2011 early 3rd round selection of Bryan Anger...still wasn't a fan of drafting punters early. 

Quote:Tyson Alualu has been a very good player.  The man has answered the bell every game for 7 years.  Very valuable as a rotational player since he can play at least 3 of the 4 DL spots.  His recent exploits as an offensive player have been productive also.  In a way he is one of the greatest Jaguars.  Always underappreciated, but how many negative games has he had?  How many negative PLAYS has he had?  The perception does not match the reality.  The main criticism is he was overdrafted, the one thing he had zero control over. 
He's allergic to making plays, he's far from very good. It's rare whenever he gets a sack or does something on his own. He does basically nothing, doesn't make us lose, but doesn't help us win either.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017, 02:53 PM by BritJag.)

But he is still around.

Surprise, Anger. I still remember the 'well he's a starter post draft jargon.

Dissapointed, well I don't have all day. Time to head to Lake Isabella and jump in the hot springs...

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Alualu was so shocking.

Tysons Alualu by a landslide

In hindsight? Probably Soward. Not sure many contributed less than he did considering the draft position.

At the time? Has to be Alualu. He had decent hands in college, but he hasn't done much of anything--justifying the criticism. 

Matt Jones was a surprise pick. He wasn't all that shocking. His stock was soaring at the time, and his performance on the field started to pick up significantly. Almost 800 yards in 12 games which isn't all that bad. It was the cocaine addiction that was shocking.

Don't look back in (Bryan Anger) I heard you say

Anger and not even close. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Alualu. Because I honestly had never heard of the guy until that night. He had a 2nd RD grade on him. Even Mayock and Kiper were like "Uhhhhhhhhhh....wait a minute......". Wallbash

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Looks like its down too Alualu,and Matt Jones with Bryan Anger on the outside trying to make noise..

I was pretty shocked when they drafted Alualu! If I remember correctly, there was a delay in showing his highlight video after we picked him.. lol this guy never had a first rnd grade, and for all we know was expected to be a 3rd or 4th rounder.. Smh!

Quote:Anger and not even close.

Lol that Anger pick had people about to go to the stadium and find Gene..