Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Special teamers *not* named Jason Myers

Kinda curious why we're not talking about Anger. I counted at least three punts in which he outkicked his coverage by at least ten yards, one of which was a low, terrible kick that would have been a big return if the Bills' player hadn't called a boneheaded fair catch.

It's not like this is the first week in which this has happened, either. Anger's been outkicking his coverage all year. Is it more because Gus has guys like McCray and Marshall, who both timed in the 4.55 range out of college and lack elite speed, gunning for one of the strongest legs in football? Is it poor coaching from Mallory, or is it just poor play by Anger? Some combination of the three?

Marshall almost had a complete disaster of a kickoff return when he ran towards the goal line before taking a knee. Again, poor decision making. One could chalk it up to inexperience for sure, but we have Bryan Walters on the team, who's been returning kicks for years. Stick with Marshall in two weeks, or does Walters get a longer look at kickoff returner?

I'd also like to point out that, as far as I can remember, Carson Tinker has been flawless all year. I don't recall a single bad snap.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I mentioned this in the game thread but I have an irrational hatred of BAnger. I just do not like his punts. Of course I wouldn't be surprised if it just turns out that it's just poor coaching by Mallory.

Quote:Kinda curious why we're not talking about Anger. I counted at least three punts in which he outkicked his coverage by at least ten yards, one of which was a low, terrible kick that would have been a big return if the Bills' player hadn't called a boneheaded fair catch.

It's not like this is the first week in which this has happened, either. Anger's been outkicking his coverage all year. Is it more because Gus has guys like McCray and Marshall, who both timed in the 4.55 range out of college and lack elite speed, gunning for one of the strongest legs in football? Is it poor coaching from Mallory, or is it just poor play by Anger? Some combination of the three?

Marshall almost had a complete disaster of a kickoff return when he ran towards the goal line before taking a knee. Again, poor decision making. One could chalk it up to inexperience for sure, but we have Bryan Walters on the team, who's been returning kicks for years. Stick with Marshall in two weeks, or does Walters get a longer look at kickoff returner?

I'd also like to point out that, as far as I can remember, Carson Tinker has been flawless all year. I don't recall a single bad snap.

The BAnger guy is really becoming a liability in the punt game.

I mentioned it as well in the game thread.  Dude is out kicking his coverage alot.  Then, when he's got a chance to pin them inside the ten, he kicks it really high for a fair catch at the 20.  He really stinks, or maybe, the coach isn't pushing him hard enough?

On the kick off that was almost ran out from the end zone...  I think end zone chalf confused the running for the goal line...  Thank goodness Shoelace was there to keep him from running it out...  LOL

Quote:The BAnger guy is really becoming a liability in the punt game.

I mentioned it as well in the game thread.  Dude is out kicking his coverage alot.  Then, when he's got a chance to pin them inside the ten, he kicks it really high for a fair catch at the 20.  He really stinks, or maybe, the coach isn't pushing him hard enough?

On the kick off that was almost ran out from the end zone...  I think end zone chalf confused the running for the goal line...  Thank goodness Shoelace was there to keep him from running it out...  LOL
This far into Anger's career, he should know how to hang it high <i>without</i> putting his massive leg to waste on a 35-yard punt. It's seemed for a couple of years now like he just can't figure out how to balance hangtime and distance, and I'm not sure at this point whether it's Mallory's coaching or just his own mental limitations coming into play. At some point, if you're Caldwell, you have to at least bring in a couple of punters for a tryout to light a fire under him, don't you?

Bringing up Shoelace poses another question: D-Rob was talked up as the team's kick returner going into camp, but he lost that to Grant and now is on the sideline when Marshall and Walters play back there, despite his having far better speed than either of them. What's going on? Too valuable at this point to risk on kickoff returns?

Has Anger ever angled a punt to the sidelines? It seems to me like all of his punts are to the center of the field.

Quote:Has Anger ever angled a punt to the sidelines? It seems to me like all of his punts are to the center of the field.
I know I've seen him do it before. Unlike many here, I don't think that Anger is terrible. I actually think he's got what it takes to be a very good punter. I just can't help but wonder why, game after game, he either blasts it ten yards past his gunners or floats it 35 yards despite having a 60-yard leg.

Quote:This far into Anger's career, he should know how to hang it high <i>without</i> putting his massive leg to waste on a 35-yard punt. It's seemed for a couple of years now like he just can't figure out how to balance hangtime and distance, and I'm not sure at this point whether it's Mallory's coaching or just his own mental limitations coming into play. At some point, if you're Caldwell, you have to at least bring in a couple of punters for a tryout to light a fire under him, don't you?

Bringing up Shoelace poses another question: D-Rob was talked up as the team's kick returner going into camp, but he lost that to Grant and now is on the sideline when Marshall and Walters play back there, despite his having far better speed than either of them. What's going on? Too valuable at this point to risk on kickoff returns?

I think with the injury, maybe they don't want to risk it?

But then again, it's not like they are using Shoelace in the run game, right?  Did you see Shoelace in the running game at all?  I didn't notice him.  So if he's not getting snaps on offense, put him back there to field punts.

You're right, it's weird.  But then again, every decision this HC makes is weird.  

Quote:I think with the injury, maybe they don't want to risk it?

But then again, it's not like they are using Shoelace in the run game, right?  Did you see Shoelace in the running game at all?  I didn't notice him.  So if he's not getting snaps on offense, put him back there to field punts.

You're right, it's weird.  But then again, every decision this HC makes is weird.  
That's what I was thinking regarding the run game, too. I don't recall hearing his name called on a running play at all today.

I don't know that Shoelace has ever fielded a punt in a game, and I'm not even sure that he's done so in practice. I like Walters back there. He's not fast, but Jarvis Landry is just the latest guy to prove that, if you're quick and can make a guy miss, you don't have to have a third gear to be a successful punt returner.

not good

Yeah I mentioned it in the game thread, he always outkicks the coverage like 20-30 yards

Quote:I'd also like to point out that, as far as I can remember, Carson Tinker has been flawless all year. I don't recall a single bad snap.

This. Nobody talks about long snapper, but he is doing a great job.