Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lageman's segment today...1010XL

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 01:58 PM by Solid Snake.)

I listened to Mike Dempsey's show and Lagemen had a great segment assessing the play of the Jaguars. One thing that really struck me is there were a bunch of questions that basically went along the lines of "if the coaches knew that then why didn't they do it" or "why wasn't this player coached or assigned to do X".

Three examples that immediately came to mind:
  • After House had 3 great quarters, why did the coaching staff feel the need to continue risking leaving House on and Island with one of the league's premier WRs (Hopkins). Who else on the Texans team should our defense have been afraid of? Cecil Shorts?
  • Why aren't our players coached to play more physically and diagnose basic routes? Example...Arian Foster ran a very basic route concept, "Texas" and Cyprien had man coverage. At no point did Cyprien come up and make contact with Foster. He gave him a completely free run, which he reacted badly too. Is the coaching staff not responsible for teaching such basic concepts?
  • Davis not starting LEO because of special teams duties...is Gus really [BLEEP] serious?

There were other examples but it just feels like this team is always reacting and not playing with instincts. We don't adjust well at all. Did they not think House would eventually get going? Were they seriously fearful of the Texans beating us elsewhere?

What makes it really frustrating is when Gus has his presser and says we should have did this or that....but every week it seems like even he doesn't know why he didn't do adjust this way or that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I listened to Mike Dempsey's show and Lagemen had a great segment assessing the play of the Jaguars. One thing that really struck me is there were a bunch of questions that basically went along the lines of "if the coaches knew that then why didn't they do it" or "why wasn't this player coached or assigned to do X".

• After House had 3 great quarters, why did the coaching staff feel the need to continue risking leaving House on and Island with one of the league's premier WRs (Hopkins). Who else on the Texans team should our defense have been afraid of? Cecil Shorts?
  • Why aren't our players coached to play more physically and diagnose basic routes? Example...Arian Foster ran a very basic route concept, "Texas" and Cyprien had man coverage. At no point did Cyprien come up and make contact with Foster. He gave him a completely free run, which he reacted badly too. Is the coaching staff not responsible for teaching such basic concepts?
  • Davis not starting LEO because of special teams duties...is Gus really [BAD WORD REMOVED] serious?

There were other examples but it just feels like this team is always reacting and not playing with instincts. We don't adjust well at all. Did they not think House would eventually get going? Were they seriously fearful of the Texans beating us elsewhere?

What makes it really frustrating is when Gus has his presser and says we should have did this or that....but every week it seems like even he doesn't know why he didn't do adjust this way or that.

The Jaguars (by far) have the worst defensive coaching staff in the league, and it starts with Gus. When you consistently allow 1st downs on 3rd and long, that's an issue that transcends players and falls directly on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 02:39 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:
  • Davis not starting LEO because of special teams duties...is Gus really [BAD WORD REMOVED] serious?

I heard this quote Last Week and I almost fell off of my chair !!! 

The other thing being questioned by Hacker at the noon hour was the fact that our offense has been flagged several times for improper formations.  SERIOUSLY !!   Apparently we don't know how many offensive players are required to be on the line of scrimmage.

My kid is in the process of applying for colleges and it's funny to see some schools like Cal Berkeley disqualify potential applicants if they don't meet certain criteria (e.g. 3.4 GPA).   Perhaps the Jags need to implement IQ requirements for their coaching staff ("....need not apply").

Quote:I heard this quote Last Week and I almost fell off of my chair !!! 

The other thing being questioned by Hacker at the noon hour was the fact that our offense has been flagged several times for improper formations.  SERIOUSLY !!   Apparently we don't know how many players are required to be on the line of scrimmage.

My kid is in the process of applying for colleges and it's funny to see some like Cal Berkeley disqualifying potential applicants if they don't meet certain criteria (e.g. 3.4 GPA).   Perhaps the Jags need to implement IQ requirements for their coaching staff ("....need not apply").

As a fellow Minnesotan I can say confidently that Gus is too "Minnesota nice", i don't think he has the balls to bench Clemons/Branch etc..., the special teams excuse is ridiculous. After the loss last Sunday Arrelious Benn posted "leadership leadership leadership" on twitter, I think he's on to something there. Gus is certainly a "players coach" but I'm not sure if he's an effective leader when things are going bad, question, why haven't we brought in any kickers? Jason Myers has missed multiple kicks and extra points, that's unacceptable at this level. 

Hard to listen to Lageman after his little spat with Dempsey last week. Totally out of touch with reality. I wonder if he and Tony have homer contests.

Quote:Hard to listen to Lageman after his little spat with Dempsey last week. Totally out of touch with reality. I wonder if he and Tony have homer contests.

Same here. I can't stand when guys like Lageman try to deflect attention away from how bad the team is performing and concentrate on how much the fans are whining. Yeah, they're whining for a reason, you neanderthal.

Quote:Same here. I can't stand when guys like Lageman try to deflect attention away from how bad the team is performing and concentrate on how much the fans are whining. Yeah, they're whining for a reason, you neanderthal.

He always combats the fans with "I have been a season ticket holder for 20 years too". 

So what dude. 

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 03:04 PM by ThunderCat.)

Quote:I listened to Mike Dempsey's show and Lagemen had a great segment assessing the play of the Jaguars. One thing that really struck me is there were a bunch of questions that basically went along the lines of "if the coaches knew that then why didn't they do it" or "why wasn't this player coached or assigned to do X".

My biggest problem with Gus is that this team has zero identity. At the beginning of training camp he proclaimed they would be a run heavy offense to alleviate Blakes responsibility. They've clearly abondoned that thought. They have no identity on defense. And no one shines on special teams. Basically the jags done have one area that they do really really well. If they had that it would make things easier to pinpoint what to fix. But every week all phases seem to regress.

People keep bringing up House and blaming coaching on his 4th quarter let down. You ask why after 3 solid quarters did the coaching staff risk leaving House on his own and not feel the need to adjust? You answered your own question. Why adjust something that's working? Hopkins is going to make plays. There are plenty of coaching issues to discuss, just saying the point about House is only hindsight and not really valid in that context

Those are all excellent questions. Did he (Lageman) offer any answers?

Quote:Those are all excellent questions. Did he (Lageman) offer any answers?

"be patient"

Quote:"be patient"
SMH

[Image: upset-jaguars-fan.gif]

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:I heard this quote Last Week and I almost fell off of my chair !!! 

The other thing being questioned by Hacker at the noon hour was the fact that our offense has been flagged several times for improper formations.  SERIOUSLY !!   Apparently we don't know how many offensive players are required to be on the line of scrimmage.

My kid is in the process of applying for colleges and it's funny to see some schools like Cal Berkeley disqualify potential applicants if they don't meet certain criteria (e.g. 3.4 GPA).   Perhaps the Jags need to implement IQ requirements for their coaching staff ("....need not apply").
Acceptance letters to big schools are nice until they send you the cost per class credit hour book. Then it's off to FCCJ.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:My biggest problem with Gus is that this team has zero identity. At the beginning of training camp he proclaimed they would be a run heavy offense to alleviate Blakes responsibility. They've clearly abondoned that thought. They have no identity on defense. And no one shines on special teams. Basically the jags done have one area that they do really really well. If they had that it would make things easier to pinpoint what to fix. But every week all phases seem to regress.

I agree. There is nothing this team can hang it's hat on besides throwing jump balls to Robinson. Not only that do we not have an indentity in any phase, each phase is wildly up and down on a week to week basis.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 06:10 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:Acceptance letters to big schools are nice until they send you the cost per class credit hour book. Then it's off to FCCJ.

I prefer out of state tuition and $100,000 debt.  :woot:

Why would anyone want to graduate, live in a nice apartment, and buy a new car?  I'd rather pay off a loan for 10 years while driving my 1998 Jeep Wrangler.  :pirate:

Lol "be patient". Lags is such a clown.

"Be patient so at the end of the year I can say I never said Gus was good, just that we let him run his course".

Quote:People keep bringing up House and blaming coaching on his 4th quarter let down. You ask why after 3 solid quarters did the coaching staff risk leaving House on his own and not feel the need to adjust? You answered your own question. Why adjust something that's working? Hopkins is going to make plays. There are plenty of coaching issues to discuss, just saying the point about House is only hindsight and not really valid in that context

You don't do the same thing all game. You change up your strategy.keep the opposition guessing. Hey he might have help, he may not...you let the QB guess.

assume the position 

The definition of "jaguar", doing the exact same thing in the exact same way repeatedly but expecting different results
A good loser is a good loser

Quote:People keep bringing up House and blaming coaching on his 4th quarter let down. You ask why after 3 solid quarters did the coaching staff risk leaving House on his own and not feel the need to adjust? You answered your own question. Why adjust something that's working? Hopkins is going to make plays. There are plenty of coaching issues to discuss, just saying the point about House is only hindsight and not really valid in that context
Um, he let a couple big plays happen before the 4th. Even as a 'Kindergarten' fan it was pretty obvious that he needed help with Hopkins. Hopkins did beat some of Houses good coverage, but if house had safety help, it probably wouldn't have happened. I think I even saw someone last week talking about selling out to stop Hopkins cause the Texans have nothing else. Lot of truth to that. That plan would have probably worked.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.