Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
UK Sports

So who on here follows and of the sports which are big in the UK?

I'm a big football/soccer fan & I love Speedway (Motorcycle speedway)..

Who likes either? Which teams do you follow?

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I just got back from there and I really enjoyed watching the Rugby World Cup.  I wish I understood the rules a bit better.

If they showed that more in the US, I would definitely watch.

Quote:So who on here follows and of the sports which are big in the UK?

They've really been increasing the TV coverage of the Premier League here in the US.

My 17 year old son loves it and roots for Crystal Palace.  He's not one to root for teams that others like such as Man. U and Man. City.

Quote:So who on here follows and of the sports which are big in the UK?

I keep up with the EPL and Man City. Big one this Sunday with Manchester United!

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:They've really been increasing the TV coverage of the Premier League here in the US.

My 17 year old son loves it and roots for Crystal Palace.  He's not one to root for teams that others like such as Man. U and Man. City.

I know how he feels... I follow a team called Swindon Town who are in the 3rd tier. They average around 7,500 people in for each home game.. My local team (Southampton) average 32,000 for a home game, but I guess they're Premier League..

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2015, 05:10 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote: 

I just noticed your profile Quote from Abe Lincoln (at the bottom of your posts) ---- That's funny !!

Quote:I just noticed your profile Quote from Abe Lincoln (at the bottom of your posts) ---- That's funny !!
Haha it's part of my auto-signature at work.. so many people have inspitational quotes like 'if you want it to happen, make it happen' for example... I much prefer mine..

Quote:They've really been increasing the TV coverage of the Premier League here in the US.

My 17 year old son loves it and roots for Crystal Palace. He's not one to root for teams that others like such as Man. U and Man. City.

He should root for a real underdog like Birmingham City then Wink (not even currently in the Premier league)

In honesty I've become more and more apathetic towards "english" football. I've gone from having season tickets and following my team up and down the country to not even watching Match of the Day (A TV show that shows extended highlights of all the days games)

With that said, I'm currently sat in a car driving to Bolton for the game tonight. Come on you blues!!

Quote:He should root for a real underdog like Birmingham City then Wink (not even currently in the Premier league)

In honesty I've become more and more apathetic towards "english" football. I've gone from having season tickets and following my team up and down the country to not even watching Match of the Day (A TV show that shows extended highlights of all the days games)

With that said, I'm currently sat in a car driving to Bolton for the game tonight. Come on you blues!!

I know what you mean, I'm a Swindon Town fan, I've been to 63 of the 92 stadiums up and down the country.

Last week we parted company with our manager and tonight our Chairman took charge of the team!!! (we lost 2-1)..

I still watch Match of the Day religiously, but I've fallen more and more out of love with the game..

Quote:I keep up with the EPL and Man City. Big one this Sunday with Manchester United!

This should be a decent game. My father is a United fan,so I will keep an eye on the score...

I can't watch it though... I'll be at Wembley :thumbsup:

Not strictly UK sports, but Real Madrid winning 8-2 against 9 men with 16 minutes left to play! Wow.

Finished 10-2.

Not happy with the 2-1 result with Arsenal.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Ive been a chelsea fan before the first rein of mourinho. To make along story short, i have family in new zealand who is originaly from london and that was their team. They got me on the bandwagon when they came to visit when i was younger. Sad year for champs too. I hope the mourinho firing pays off, its crazy to see a team go into a tail spin like this.

Quote:Ive been a chelsea fan before the first rein of mourinho. To make along story short, i have family in new zealand who is originaly from london and that was their team. They got me on the bandwagon when they came to visit when i was younger. Sad year for champs too. I hope the mourinho firing pays off, its crazy to see a team go into a tail spin like this.
I'm sure he's upset too, he's only made £40m off the back of his dismissal..

Quote:I'm sure he's upset too, he's only made £40m off the back of his dismissal..
rumor is they are going after Deigo Simeon(atletico coach, not sure how to spell it and dont feel like googling it), or pep... im hoping its diego honestly, he seems like that young passionate guy who can get these guys back in form. they dont have any excuses, when you have the young talent they have, you should be killing it. unfortunately i think thats half the issue, the older vets are not the focal point anymore so there is no guidance. JT is too old, and cesc isnt really a chelsea guy to begin with so we really have no vet leadership at all.

40M lol, good lord, are EPL coaches payed more than NFL coaches?

Quote:rumor is they are going after Deigo Simeon(atletico coach, not sure how to spell it and dont feel like googling it), or pep... im hoping its diego honestly, he seems like that young passionate guy who can get these guys back in form. they dont have any excuses, when you have the young talent they have, you should be killing it. unfortunately i think thats half the issue, the older vets are not the focal point anymore so there is no guidance. JT is too old, and cesc isnt really a chelsea guy to begin with so we really have no vet leadership at all.

40M lol, good lord, are EPL coaches payed more than NFL coaches?

Some are... The £40M was because they had to pay his whole contract up in full (I think it was a 5 year deal signed at the end of last season).

I'm not a Chelsea fan, I've been to some games where they've played and their 'die hard' fans are just awful. Plus they have bought success, which annoys me somewhat.. although, they should be doing better than they are.

Problem is, I think people have worked out their game plan, in soccer (as with most sports), if you but certain players you have to stick to a certain style of play. It's easy for an opposing player to cut out that play if they're used to seeing it... I think Chelsea have become more predictable.

Personally I think Diego Simeone to Chelsea, Pep Guadiola to Manchester City and Jose Mourinhio to Manchester United.. just a hunch.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2015, 11:44 AM by JagsorDie.)

Quote:Some are... The £40M was because they had to pay his whole contract up in full (I think it was a 5 year deal signed at the end of last season).

I'm not a Chelsea fan, I've been to some games where they've played and their 'die hard' fans are just awful. Plus they have bought success, which annoys me somewhat.. although, they should be doing better than they are.

Problem is, I think people have worked out their game plan, in soccer (as with most sports), if you but certain players you have to stick to a certain style of play. It's easy for an opposing player to cut out that play if they're used to seeing it... I think Chelsea have become more predictable.

Personally I think Diego Simeone to Chelsea, Pep Guadiola to Manchester City and Jose Mourinhio to Manchester United.. just a hunch.
there is no doubt they bought success, as do alot of teams like the manics, PSG, madrid, and barca. in EPL it's tough to be successful in to many things at once(like champions league, fa cup, league cup) and still carry that over to league play. thats not the case with chelsea they are sucking around the board. but to me their problem isn't the type of players they have, but the type of players they dont have. Defensively they are full of holes, ivonavic is old and slow, cahill is decent, JT is just old, Zouma is to young and raw, and cesar is average at best. and the only real help the D has is Matic, who is as slow and sloppy as they come, and Jon mikel who is perennial average Dmid. they have fire power up front, but not enough to back teams off where you can win the possession war. i also think costa flopps wayyyy to much and is a torres 2.0 as far as epl sucsess. he can dominate in la liga, but gets shut down when he goes up against a good D and doesnt get his calls.

i also think they having a very tough transition from the chelsea with JT, lampard, Drogba, and cech. that team had leadership at every level on the pitch and it payed off for a long time.

the funny thing to me is: in 2012 when they won the champions league, they had a terrible year in the epl and really shouldnt have made it passed Napoli or barca, let alone beat bayern in their home stadium. but thats just the parody of the game. i always use the wigan v man c, FA cup game, any given week in the epl, the bottom of the barrel can beat the top tier. thats why it is tough in english ball, you can't say the same about any other league in the world.

I know alot of people hate chelsea, but man would i love to have pockets like abrahomovic LOL.

Quote:there is no doubt they bought success, as do alot of teams like the manics, PSG, madrid, and barca. in EPL it's tough to be successful in to many things at once(like champions league, fa cup, league cup) and still carry that over to league play. thats not the case with chelsea they are sucking around the board. but to me their problem isn't the type of players they have, but the type of players they dont have. Defensively they are full of holes, ivonavic is old and slow, cahill is decent, JT is just old, Zouma is to young and raw, and cesar is average at best. and the only real help the D has is Matic, who is as slow and sloppy as they come, and Jon mikel who is perennial average Dmid. they have fire power up front, but not enough to back teams off where you can win the possession war. i also think costa flopps wayyyy to much and is a torres 2.0 as far as epl sucsess. he can dominate in la liga, but gets shut down when he goes up against a good D and doesnt get his calls.

i also think they having a very tough transition from the chelsea with JT, lampard, Drogba, and cech. that team had leadership at every level on the pitch and it payed off for a long time.

the funny thing to me is: in 2012 when they won the champions league, they had a terrible year in the epl and really shouldnt have made it passed Napoli or barca, let alone beat bayern in their home stadium. but thats just the parody of the game. i always use the wigan v man c, FA cup game, any given week in the epl, the bottom of the barrel can beat the top tier. thats why it is tough in english ball, you can't say the same about any other league in the world.

I know alot of people hate chelsea, but man would i love to have pockets like abrahomovic LOL.
I tend to agree with a lot of what you've said here, but for me, one of the key things we both missed out is that a lot of nations have a winter break. England does not. So therein lies part of the problem with regards both the European club competitions, and our International team problems. OK sure, you could argue that a lot of foreign players play in the Premier League, yes, BUT a lot of their team also play all over the world (in countries who have a winter break). I don't think there is an English National Team player who plays outside of the UK?

However, back to Chelsea, these players know about the lack of winter break when they sign, so although it can be passed off as an 'excuse' surely it can't be used with any validity?..

One thing that frustrates me is, although I dislike Chelsea as a club, I would always want them to do well in a European/International competition as they're representing the country in which I'm from. They (along with other teams, namely Manchester City) buy players for too much money with regards transfer fees, and pay them too much in wages.. (just look at Eden Hazard on £200,000 per week, or Radamel Falcao on £140,000 per week and he's on loan!!). Same with Wayne Rooney at Manchester United, sure he's the club captain and the International Team captain, but £300,000 per week??

If these teams spent more on squad depth, maybe they would challenge across the board, instead of either having a successful EPL campaign and a Champions League to forget... or vice versa... if that all makes sense..

Pep will probably go to City, the Barca connection is strong. City officials want him bad, its just a little disappointing how its being played out. Pellegrini is good man and a good manager, but seems to not get the best out of his players. Ironic, because he's known as being a players coach, one would think they would play twice as hard for him. For City, they want the big name manager, its good for marketing and revenue, and as a City fan, that is what they have become. Globally expanding the name and brand, Pep also I think would bring the best out of City in European competition, something that Mancinni and Pellegrinni have not been able to do. For a squad so expensive, they should be a little better than what they are. But winning the league 2 out of 3 years is an accomplishment in itself. Going to be tough going forward for City, or any club in the EPL to win the league, especially with this TV money that is going to be distributed in the summer. Teams like Stoke, Everton, Spurs, Southampton etc are really going to push for a top spot in the table. I do think in the end, Pep will end up at City, but the season is not over, and Pellegrini can make a statement for himself. 

I saw some of you were talking Chelsea. Im not sure if Simeone will end up at Chelsea. I think its tough for a manager who does not speak english to transition to the English Premiere league! He's a legend at Atletico Madrid, he would have to really be tempted to leave. And again, I think going to the EPL, it is important the manger speaks english. Diego Simeone does not.