Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
California Becomes First State to Ban 'Redskins' Nickname

Quote:<div>California became the first state to ban schools from using the "Redskins" team name or mascot Sunday, a move the National Congress of American Indians said should be a "shining example" for the rest of the country.

The law, which Gov. Jerry Brown signed Sunday morning, goes into effect Jan. 1, 2017. It's believed to affect only four public schools using the mascot, which many Indian groups and activists find offensive, but its impact is significant symbolically — California has the largest enrollment of public school students in the nation, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

The state Assembly overwhelmingly approved the California Racial Mascots Act in May, about a month before the Obama administration went on record telling the Washington Redskins that they would have to change their name before they would be allowed to move to a stadium in Washington, D.C., from their current home in suburban Maryland.

</div>
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cali...me-n442561

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Does that mean the Redskins can no longer play in the state of California?

Quote:Does that mean the Redskins can no longer play in the state of California?
Not as I understand it (though I read a different article and not the one in the OP). It just means that state-sanctioned teams in California cannot use the "Redskins" moniker.

The team name "Packers" will be next because it offends gay males.   Rolleyes

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:The team name "Packers" will be next because it offends gay males.   Rolleyes
I would love to see the outrage from the more conservative members of this board if a team were to rename itself the "Transexuals".

Quote:I would love to see the outrage from the more conservative members of this board if a team were to rename itself the "Transexuals".

So we now know what the "T" stands for in your user name, and we can surely figure out what "Bender" is...  What does the "J" stand for?   Big Grin

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:So we now know what the "T" stands for in your user name, and we can surely figure out what "Bender" is...  What does the "J" stand for?   Big Grin
I could say a few things here that would break the COC in half (and probably end my tenure), so I'll leave those to your imagination and just go with "Juicy".

Quote:I would love to see the outrage from the more conservative members of this board if a team were to rename itself the "Transexuals".

I would love to see the outrage from the more conservative members of this board if a team were to rename themselves something Anti-Religious.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I would love to see the outrage from the more conservative members of this board if a team were to rename themselves something Anti-Religious.

Such as?

Quote:I would love to see the outrage from the more conservative members of this board if a team were to rename themselves something Anti-Religious.
There are already lots of teams out there with "devils" in the name...although I have seen one particularly special special person make a blog post arguing that Arizona State is a manifestation of Hell purely because the team's name is the "Sun Devils."

Having attended ASU, I can safely say that Tempe is, in fact, Hell on Earth, but not because of the team's name.

Because California doesn't have anything else to worry about?
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Such as?

The Jacksonville Jihad.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:The Jacksonville Jihad.

No...that's just what they do to us fans every Sunday.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Are you really suggesting the term redskin is on the same level as a term used to justify the killing of non believers? Come on rj.......

This is such PC male cow dung it's unbelievable.

So is the name Browns "offensive"?  You know, because there are many brown-skinned people that live here.

What about the Chiefs?  In many Indian tribes the Chief is in a sacred position.  Isn't that "offensive"?

What about the Raiders?  These were bandits that raped and pillaged.

As I said before, the Packers could be offensive to gay males.  Should that name be banned?

How about the Saints?  After all it's religious and might "offend" people that don't believe in religion.

What about Major League Baseball?  Should the Cleveland Indians change their name?

That's not "anti-religious".

Quote:This is such PC male cow dung it's unbelievable.

So is the name Browns "offensive"?  You know, because there are many brown-skinned people that live here.

What about the Chiefs?  In many Indian tribes the Chief is in a sacred position.  Isn't that "offensive"?

What about the Raiders?  These were bandits that raped and pillaged.

As I said before, the Packers could be offensive to gay males.  Should that name be banned?

How about the Saints?  After all it's religious and might "offend" people that don't believe in religion.

What about Major League Baseball?  Should the Cleveland Indians change their name?
"Browns" refers to Paul Brown, IIRC.

"Chief" is a title of distinction amongst indigenous tribes.

"Raiders" are a reference to the glorified literary image of a pirate, not an homage to rape.

"Packers" refers to the packing industry, a source of pride in Green Bay, and anyone who tries to affix any other meaning to it would be laughed at not just by the team, but also by the entire state of Wisconsin.

"Saints" is a religious reference, yeah, but it's not a derogatory reference towards anyone or anything.

"Redskin" is a racial slur akin to the n-word. The Washington team belongs to Dan Snyder, and he can call it whatever he wants to, but if governments want to say that you can't call a public entity the "redskins" any more than you could call them the "[BLEEP]" or the "wetbacks", that's fine by me.

Quote:"Browns" refers to Paul Brown, IIRC.

"Chief" is a title of distinction amongst indigenous tribes.

"Raiders" are a reference to the glorified literary image of a pirate, not an homage to rape.

"Packers" refers to the packing industry, a source of pride in Green Bay, and anyone who tries to affix any other meaning to it would be laughed at not just by the team, but also by the entire state of Wisconsin.

"Saints" is a religious reference, yeah, but it's not a derogatory reference towards anyone or anything.

"Redskin" is a racial slur akin to the n-word. The Washington team belongs to Dan Snyder, and he can call it whatever he wants to, but if governments want to say that you can't call a public entity the "redskins" any more than you could call them the "[BAD WORD REMOVED]" or the "wetbacks", that's fine by me.

The term "cowboy" used to be a derogatory term at about the same time in history that the term "redskin" was considered a racial slur, so I guess Jerry Jones will be getting a phone call soon.

Quote:The term "cowboy" used to be a derogatory term at about the same time in history that the term "redskin" was considered a racial slur, so I guess Jerry Jones will be getting a phone call soon.
from this guy?

[Image: death-at-the-griffins-1.png?w=500&h=261]

I find the term Yankee very offensive