Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
California Becomes First State to Ban 'Redskins' Nickname

Quote:I find the term Yankee very offensive

I don't find the term offensive, but Yankee's are for the most part pretty offensive.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I don't find the term offensive, but Yankee's are for the most part pretty offensive.

More of what I'm implying the term refers to a group that I find offensive
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I don't find the term offensive, but Yankee's are for the most part pretty offensive.

Yankee as in northerner? Yankee as in the Union that defeated the south in rebellion? Yankee as in liberal? Yankee as in educated elite?

So many people you could be offended by here.

Quote:More of what I'm implying the term refers to a group that I find offensive

You surely are lying. I've been told by very loud and obnoxious bullies that conservatives don't get offended. Please explain.

Just keep the damn name..put the potato on the helmet for the logo and booom...problem solved

Blakes Life Matters

I still say that the Washington Hogs, with the same color scheme but a different logo, would solve the problem and respect the history of the franchise.

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015, 12:40 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Change the name to the Washington Braves.

Don't even have to change the fight song that much.

Could even call them the Bravehearts.

"Hail to the Bravehearts

Hail Victory

Braves on the Warpath

Fight for Old D.C."

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Change the name to the Washington Braves.

Don't even have to change the fight song that much.

Could even call them the Bravehearts
And Mel Gibson could be the mascot.

Quote:You surely are lying. I've been told by very loud and obnoxious bullies that conservatives don't get offended. Please explain.

Ha there is no shortage of things that offend the right, however the difference is the insistence others change to prevent offending of different parties.

(This post was last modified: 10-14-2015, 02:55 PM by boudreaumw.)

Quote:Ha there is no shortage of things that offend the right, however the difference is the insistence others change to prevent offending of different parties.
I don't care if people stop being offensive or not. It is their right. Criticizing them and calling them what they portray themselves as is not the same as insisting they change but is also their right. If being criticized is ok then by all means keep being offensive for whatever reason you like. 

(not you you  but you generally)  :thumbsup:

Quote:I don't care if people stop being offensive or not. It is their right. Criticizing them and calling them what they portray themselves as is not the same as insisting they change but is also their right. If being criticized is ok then by all means keep being offensive for whatever reason you like. 

(not you you  but you generally)  :thumbsup:

so you agree with me that anti-discrimination laws infringe on the individual's right to free association? That's the single biggest assault against individual liberty is anti-discrimination laws. I find someone who would discriminate against anyone disgusting but what I find more disgusting is forcing someone to associate or participate against their will with someone else. 

Quote:so you agree with me that anti-discrimination laws infringe on the individual's right to free association? That's the single biggest assault against individual liberty is anti-discrimination laws. I find someone who would discriminate against anyone disgusting but what I find more disgusting is forcing someone to associate or participate against their will with someone else. 
I do not agree. I do not equate speech for association. Speech is just that. Association to me, is not the same thing, and my understand the right has been interpreted to mean freely joining or leaving a group. Not in the manner the right likes to use it which is to openly discriminate based on any myriad of traits of a fellow American. 

I think anti discrimination laws are fundamental to all citizens being able to experience the American way of life. 

To me it comes down to this. If you chose to do business with the public, then you chose to do business with the public at large.

Quote:I do not agree. I do not equate speech for association. Speech is just that. Association to me, is not the same thing, and my understand the right has been interpreted to mean freely joining or leaving a group. Not in the manner the right likes to use it which is to openly discriminate based on any myriad of traits of a fellow American.

I think anti discrimination laws are fundamental to all citizens being able to experience the American way of life.

To me it comes down to this. If you chose to do business with the public, then you chose to do business with the public at large.

Public access, equal treatment under the law, equal opportunities all of that yea. But when you tell a private individual or private business they can not refuse service for whatever reason you are now using the force of the state in a manor it was never intended.

I think it was A&F the clothing company that for years had a weight policy and image policy for their sales associates, to put it nicely they didn't want fat and ugly people selling their clothes. Whole vain and stupid I understand it's their image and that's what they wanted to portray clothing for skinny good looking people. Why should I be able to claim discrimination when they won't hire my fat but beautiful self to sell their skinny pretty people clothes?

It's the same principle it a black barbershop doesn't want to cut my Columbian curly hair why should I be able to force them to let me pay them for services?

I think my whole point was responding to the statement that the left doesn't want to enforce policies to avoid offending different groups, my point is the core of many left leaning policies is ending offensive actions and thoughts. Anti-discrimination laws as they exist are the prime example.

Quote:Public access, equal treatment under the law, equal opportunities all of that yea. But when you tell a private individual or private business they can not refuse service for whatever reason you are now using the force of the state in a manor it was never intended.
You and I are so close on this, yet so far apart. A business that opens its doors should open its doors to everyone, period, but that business cannot be compelled to act against the owners' morals. For instance, if a gay couple walks into a conservative, religious bakery and asks for a plain white wedding cake, there is absolutely nothing objectionable about that cake, and it should be made. That said, if that same gay couple walks into that same bakery and wants a rainbow flag with the words "GAY MARRIAGE 4EVER" decorated onto it, the bakery should be within their rights to say that that message violates their personal ethics, and while the couple is welcome to choose different decorations or take a plain cake and decorate it themselves, the bakery will not fulfill that request.

It's along the same veins of not forcing a black-owned bakery to make a Confederate flag cake, a Jewish bakery to make a swastika cake, or expecting a Muslim bakery to make bacon-wrapped donuts. If you want to open the doors of your business, you open them to everyone, but no one should be able to force a business owner to take a special production order that would compromise their morals.

Quote:You and I are so close on this, yet so far apart. A business that opens its doors should open its doors to everyone, period, but that business cannot be compelled to act against the owners' morals. For instance, if a gay couple walks into a conservative, religious bakery and asks for a plain white wedding cake, there is absolutely nothing objectionable about that cake, and it should be made. That said, if that same gay couple walks into that same bakery and wants a rainbow flag with the words "GAY MARRIAGE 4EVER" decorated onto it, the bakery should be within their rights to say that that message violates their personal ethics, and while the couple is welcome to choose different decorations or take a plain cake and decorate it themselves, the bakery will not fulfill that request.

It's along the same veins of not forcing a black-owned bakery to make a Confederate flag cake, a Jewish bakery to make a swastika cake, or expecting a Muslim bakery to make bacon-wrapped donuts. If you want to open the doors of your business, you open them to everyone, but no one should be able to force a business owner to take a special production order that would compromise their morals.

I think we pretty much agree on this I don't have issue with anything you said.

Quote:I think we pretty much agree on this I don't have issue with anything you said.
Ah, I thought your view was more along the lines of allowing that religious bakery to refuse service to the gay couple entirely.

I poorly worded my response up there in the interest of making a point--I don't believe that any bakery, regardless of religion, race, whatever, should be compelled to do anything they're not comfortable with. No bakery should be forced to make a swastika, rebel flag, bacon-wrapped donuts, rainbows, whatever, if the owner has a serious problem doing so, not just the "expected" scenarios like a black bakery presented with a rebel flag.

Quote:Ah, I thought your view was more along the lines of allowing that religious bakery to refuse service to the gay couple entirely.

I poorly worded my response up there in the interest of making a point--I don't believe that any bakery, regardless of religion, race, whatever, should be compelled to do anything they're not comfortable with. No bakery should be forced to make a swastika, rebel flag, bacon-wrapped donuts, rainbows, whatever, if the owner has a serious problem doing so, not just the "expected" scenarios like a black bakery presented with a rebel flag.

It's such a small difference but it falls under equal access which I fully support.

Quote:I think we pretty much agree on this I don't have issue with anything you said.
You do? I think what he says goes against you saying you should be able to refuse service to anyone for anything? I mean what he said is completely in line with my view on it. 

Was there an edit in there somewhere I missed?

Quote:You do? I think what he says goes against you saying you should be able to refuse service to anyone for anything? I mean what he said is completely in line with my view on it.

Was there an edit in there somewhere I missed?

We're just drawing the line at a different point In the transaction. You guys are saying access is and should be protected but services can be exclusive or denyed base on personal belief. I'm ok with requiring equal access so long as the right to service remains with the party offering services.

So a bakery is a pretty easy example lets look at it Like this, as mechanic I should be forced to allow anyone access to my shop but should I also have the right to refuse to work on their vehicle based on personal belief? What if I just don't like them or the way they smell should I be able to say thanks but no thanks take you business somewhere else? Why or why not?

Quote:We're just drawing the line at a different point In the transaction. You guys are saying access is and should be protected but services can be exclusive or denyed base on personal belief. I'm ok with requiring equal access so long as the right to service remains with the party offering services.

So a bakery is a pretty easy example lets look at it Like this, as mechanic I should be forced to allow anyone access to my shop but should I also have the right to refuse to work on their vehicle based on personal belief? What if I just don't like them or the way they smell should I be able to say thanks but no thanks take you business somewhere else? Why or why not?

I don't think you should deny no. I think the best example is the one TJ gave. If you sell wedding cakes you sell the. If you don't sell cakes that say I heart Gay Weddigs then you don't sell those. If your toppers come in pairs of straight couples then you can either sell them none or two sets.

If you are a Jewish deli you can't not sell matza balls because you dislike the person but you also don't have to sell bacon because you don't sell bacon.

Does that put us on the same page?