Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
3rd and long defense issues

Since the start of the season I think we struggled a lot when defending 3rd and long situations. Few exemples

-Carolina after the pick 6 we held the Panthers first on their 5 with a 3rd and 10: Newton converts it for a first down. Right after it again a 3rd and 12 and in both situations they came out of it easily

-Miami-Tannehill had their best moments in those situations, till the final portion of the 4th quarter when defense stepped up

-NE was a different kind of game, we suffered a bit everywhere

-Indianapolis: that infamous TD drive with all the penalties that started with a 3rd and 15 and us being punished for a penalty that made them convert to 1st down and save the drive right at the start

-Yesterday the most clear exemple: We lead 24-20, Bucs on their 10 yards, 3rd and 15 and with a screen pass they totally fool us and get 60 yards. 

This is the play that pissed me off the most (maybe second just to the fumble one) also because it happened several times this season that at the moment to kill their game deep we concede a lot of ground so easily.

In the specific of yesterday but also other times, we seem to contain well on first couple of downs (aside from yesterday where the defense was trash in every department) and then collapse.

What is it? Coaching? Bad call? Lack of talent?

I am still not over that 3rd and 15 resulting in a 60 yards play...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The fact that they got fooled on a screen pass on a 3rd and 15 makes me absolutely sick.

Quote:The fact that they got fooled on a screen pass on a 3rd and 15 makes me absolutely sick.

You tell me...

What i'd like to try and understand though is what's the main problem for it since it has happened a few times this year, we seem to manage better the 3rd and short than 3rd and 10 or 12 or 15. Is that coaching? Calls? LAck of talent? We blew it so many times this year already and yesterday was the worst exemple of all...

Quote: 

What i'd like to try and understand though is what's the main problem
Playing soft and expecting players that can't tackle, to tackle before the sticks.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Playing soft and expecting players that can't tackle, to tackle before the sticks.
And not getting pressure with the front 4.

Seattle has solid tacklers all over the field, and a good front 4 that can get pressure. We dont.
No commercial messages in sigs

Marshmallows all over the field. Add Graham Crackers and Chocolate and we've got smores

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:Marshmallows all over the field. Add Graham Crackers and Chocolate and we've got smores

S'more losses

Quote:And not getting pressure with the front 4.

Seattle has solid tacklers all over the field, and a good front 4 that can get pressure. We dont.
Exactly. I'm so over this attempt at running the Seattle 4-3 under base. It's not working, the Jags don't have the personnel for it, and everyone's better off with a more basic defensive scheme.

Scheme for the players, not players for the scheme. I literally cannot think of one time where looking for players for the scheme didn't result in having a terrible defense. Another current example of this method failing right now is the Houston Texans defense with Clowney in the 3-4.

Of the few things Mel Tucker did right here, keeping it basic and simple and doing what he could with the pile of crap we had on defense is something I give him credit for.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

...But blitzing solves the lack of pass rush...until the opposing team runs a screen and then it's "why did they blitz?!?".

SMH
Making up

Evidence

Depending on

Information

Available

Go back and look at the defense before the ball was snapped on the 56 yard screen pass.  Guys were pushing and shoving each other in the secondary because they couldn't line up and had no idea what the heck was going on.  I was yelling at the screen to call timeout because I could tell that there was going to be a blown coverage or a misfit on a draw. 

In that situation with a young qb 75% of the time you are either going to see a draw or a screen.  That's inexcusable.  No timeout when the d was clearly baffled and then 56 yards on a screen to the backup running back.  These are a few reasons why we lost yesterday!

Quote:...But blitzing solves the lack of pass rush...until the opposing team runs a screen and then it's "why did they blitz?!?".

SMH
I would agree with this but the tackling yesterday was abysmal. So who cares if you drop 7, they get the 1st anyways because we could not wrap up to save our lives yesterday. The defense needs some work in the off season. Hoping Fowler is a stud, and we land a solid end on the other side, or some LBs that can tackle. Passers and pass rusher can fix a lot of teams woes. I feel we have 1(QB) and now we need a stud rusher on the outside and that should sure up a lot of issues in the back half of the defense. 

Quote:...But blitzing solves the lack of pass rush...until the opposing team runs a screen and then it's "why did they blitz?!?".

SMH

Why call a blitz on 3rd and 15 with a rookie qb?

Smh

They wanted to bring pressure to sack Jameis. Not many teams run screen passes on 3rd & 15 and it was a good play call by the Bucs. 

The DBs stink, they need to trade for an elite CB especially with all the injuries on D.

THen again this season is garbage so at this point they should just wait for the draft & FA.

I'm just mostly upset at the fact that they ran a screen the previous play and arby Jones batted it down, so Lovie says hey let's try it again, gotta work the 2nd time right? And it did. Honestly, I can let that one go..we were fooled, we shouldn't have been, but we were. I can't accept all the missed tackles. That was z just painful to watch. For all his short comings in pass pro, Paul never misses tackles.
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Quote:They wanted to bring pressure to sack Jameis. Not many teams run screen passes on 3rd & 15 and it was a good play call by the Bucs. 

You're not fooling anyone, we know you're actually Gus Bradley lol.