Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Biggest problem on offense and for this team in general

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 06:39 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

...is the lack of an effective running game. Yeldon's statline for the game against the clots looks good... 22 attempts for 105 yards. However, 36 yards came on 1 particular run in overtime. That means if you exclude the outlier, he was 21 for 69 or a hair under 3.3 yards per carry. That's not getting it done and Blake Bortles threw 50 pass attempts this game. For this team, that combination is a recipe for a loss much more often than not. That being said we were still in a position to win the game if we had a decent kicker and we should have still walked away with the win which is what makes this loss so much more painful.

Until this team is able to establish a running game consistently, this will be a familiar theme for the rest of the year. Blake Bortles is not Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. His presence on the field doesn't diminish the importance of the running game like those two Hall of Fame QBs do. I'm not here to assign blame to Yeldon, the O-line or the coaching as I'm sure any subsequent posts will make various cases for or against each of those. But I think it's fairly obvious this is the biggest problem for this team right now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Too many negative and no gains and very few 5+ yard runs.

If you can't run yourself into a position where you 2nd or 3rd and short, the defense isn't going to make any special effort to stop the run and can concentrate on stopping the passing game, which has pretty much been the m.o. for defenses in the second half of all our games.

Sorry but there's better fruit to pick, considering this is not being one. Gus Bradley coaches from the waterboy position. It's hard to digest that he clapped after the missed gw fg.

#Writing>Wall
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Yeldon is 70 for 259 on the season for a 3.7 average. That average got a huge boost on that overtime 36 yard scamper. If you remove that one play, his average on the season is 3.2 yards per carry. To the eye, he appears to have talent. His numbers are not good enough though. They need to figure out a way to fix the running game or Jags fans should buckle up for a very long season.

The running game has been an issue here since 2011. I don't know if it has much to do with the RBs though, because as soon as Rashad Jennings and Justin Forsett left here they became competent NFL RBs.

Quote:Yeldon is 70 for 259 on the season for a 3.7 average. That average got a huge boost on that overtime 36 yard scamper. If you remove that one play, his average on the season is 3.2 yards per carry. To the eye, he appears to have talent. His numbers are not good enough though. They need to figure out a way to fix the running game or Jags fans should buckle up for a very long season.

Defenses stack the box because they don't respect Bortles, not much Yeldon can do if they run him the the middle every 1st down against stacked boxes.

Biggest issue is taking advantage of situations. 

That red-zone drive that A-Rob got us was great and all, but we need to finish it with a TD. We score right there and we would be at 17 points...

Quote:The running game has been an issue here since 2011. I don't know if it has much to do with the RBs though, because as soon as Rashad Jennings and Justin Forsett left here they became competent NFL RBs.

As said above our running game has been hurt for years by the lack of a passing game.  No one is scared of being beat deep.  They routinely stack the box against us.  A big time playmaker on the outside would really open up our entire offense.  In hindsight Amari Cooper would have looked good on this team.

So what some of you are basically saying is that we have to develop or acquire a real talent at QB before we can expect to run the ball effectively. I think if you read that statement back and you look at good running teams in the history of the NFL, you have to realize that just isn't true. We had a fantastic running game with Freddy T and MJD and we had a mediore talent at QB in Garrard. Was our offensive line that much better then than now? Or is Yeldon not yet good enough? Is the absence of DRob, and the change of pace he brings, that big of a deal?

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 07:56 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:So what some of you are basically saying is that we have to develop or acquire a real talent at QB before we can expect to run the ball effectively. I think if you read that statement back and you look at good running teams in the history of the NFL, you have to realize that just isn't true. We had a fantastic running game with Freddy T and MJD and we had a mediore talent at QB in Garrard. Was our offensive line that much better then than now? Or is Yeldon not yet good enough? Is the absence of DRob, and the change of pace he brings, that big of a deal?
Statistically Garrard was our best qb in frachise history so I'm not sure what we are saying in this post?

We just had the 3 worst qbs in franchise history play the last few years and the run game has been awful and we have been losing games. Not much of a coincidence.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 08:06 PM by stoopidsteve87.)

I really don't see it as a running game issue; not being the root cause or primary problem, anyway. I'm a Bama guy, so I've been watching Yeldon for a few years (lol). He's doing in the NFL exactly what he did in college. A lot of dancing for holes and space when it's not created by the line. Difference is, everyone is bigger and better. I do feel like I'm watching some talent and great effort when he runs, though he has some learning to do in the NFL. Some of his excessive dancing around ends up getting a few extra yards, but more often than not, it's not doing anything.

The line has been better this year. The run game has been better (at times). I do believe he and Denard can make a good tandem. Line has a little more work to do, as does the run game. Receivers have to limit the drops (didn't feel like I saw too many blatant ones today, though perhaps I missed them). The quarterback has to continue improving his decision-making. And the play-calling must continue to be a bit creative/diverse. 

Call me crazy, but I don't see a consistent, single issue on the offense that could be labeled as THE problem. I still see some improvement across the board in all aspects, definitely not a single point I would hardly stretch to call a strength (and that's not good...), and most certainly work to be done all around, but the running game being THE primary issue? 

Eh. No passing threat makes it hard to run. No run threat makes it hard to pass. We've seen talent, even potential, in all regards. I really think it's a consistency issue in all aspects. A very, very significant consistency issue. 

Quote:So what some of you are basically saying is that we have to develop or acquire a real talent at QB before we can expect to run the ball effectively. I think if you read that statement back and you look at good running teams in the history of the NFL, you have to realize that just isn't true. We had a fantastic running game with Freddy T and MJD and we had a mediore talent at QB in Garrard. Was our offensive line that much better then than now? Or is Yeldon not yet good enough? Is the absence of DRob, and the change of pace he brings, that big of a deal?
Our run blocking for whatever reason is just too inconsistent right now.

Our running game right now requires our RBs to make something out of nothing far too many times to be effective.

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 08:17 PM by J-Mizzal.)

Thats the NFL buddy, most RBs are gonna grind and then have those few big runs, unless they are special players like Bell and AP

The problem with the offense is Hurns and Robinson is the same guy

We are missing other threats, D-Rob would be explosive screen guy and change of pace back, J.Thomas would change everything and open up the middle of the field, Lee would be an explosive threat on short pass and can go deep, even Greene is a guy who would just get open.

We need to see this offense with all the weapons before we say it doesnt work, Blake played good but he doesnt have the full package just yet

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:I really don't see it as a running game issue; not being the root cause or primary problem, anyway. I'm a Bama guy, so I've been watching Yeldon for a few years (lol). He's doing in the NFL exactly what he did in college. A lot of dancing for holes and space when it's not created by the line. Difference is, everyone is bigger and better. I do feel like I'm watching some talent and great effort when he runs, though he has some learning to do in the NFL. Some of his excessive dancing around ends up getting a few extra yards, but more often than not, it's not doing anything.

The line has been better this year. The run game has been better (at times). I do believe he and Denard can make a good tandem. Line has a little more work to do, as does the run game. Receivers have to limit the drops (didn't feel like I saw too many blatant ones today, though perhaps I missed them). The quarterback has to continue improving his decision-making. And the play-calling must continue to be a bit creative/diverse. 

Call me crazy, but I don't see a consistent, single issue on the offense that could be labeled as THE problem. I still see some improvement across the board in all aspects, definitely not a single point I would hardly stretch to call a strength (and that's not good...), and most certainly work to be done all around, but the running game being THE primary issue? 

Eh. No passing threat makes it hard to run. No run threat makes it hard to pass. We've seen talent, even potential, in all regards. I really think it's a consistency issue in all aspects. A very, very significant consistency issue. 
Yeldon dances too much for my liking, but i'm not sure that its entirely him. There hasn't "appeared" to be a lot of holes. And there's runs he's gotten more due to his moves. Overall, I think it balances out. 

IMO, the problem is still the same...teams aren't afraid of getting beat by our passing game. Part of that is the QB, part of it is the lack of weapons. Part of it is lack of a legitimate running game. 

Quote:Statistically Garrard was our best qb in frachise history so I'm not sure what we are saying in this post?

We just had the 3 worst qbs in franchise history play the last few years and the run game has been awful and we have been losing games. Not much of a coincidence.

Is garrard statistically being the best QB this particular franchise has ever had under center validating him as a top talent at QB in the NFL or is it an indictment on the level of QB play we've had to endure since the early years? The answer to that is obvious to me. Garrard was adequate. I think Bortles has been adequate so far this year as well. Is your position that it's the QB's fault we can't run the ball? That's what it's sounding like.

Quote:Is garrard statistically being the best QB this particular franchise has ever had under center validating him as a top talent at QB in the NFL or is it an indictment on the level of QB play we've had to endure since the early years? The answer to that is obvious to me. Garrard was adequate. I think Bortles has been adequate so far this year as well. Is your position that it's the QB's fault we can't run the ball? That's what it's sounding like.

Garrard led game winning drives in playoffs.

That's more than adequate.

I'll never forget that Pittsburgh playoff game.

Quote:Is garrard statistically being the best QB this particular franchise has ever had under center validating him as a top talent at QB in the NFL or is it an indictment on the level of QB play we've had to endure since the early years? The answer to that is obvious to me. Garrard was adequate. I think Bortles has been adequate so far this year as well. Is your position that it's the QB's fault we can't run the ball? That's what it's sounding like.

Well, David was "OK". He didn't scare many teams, but there's a few differences:

1) We had a better OL then

2) Our RB was elite with Fred and MJD. 

3) For all of David's faults, he developed a pretty legit mid-range accuracy after fixing his mechanics. 

We've seen Blake and our receivers not be in sync with some of the mid-range passes like slants where the ball is thrown ahead or behind the receiver. David and his receiving group more often than not were on the same page.

Nothing really has changed however. That team also played against stacked boxes. They were just simply better that they still were able to run consistently despite of stacked boxes, which allowed David to hit slants, posts, and PA passes to keep drives alive.

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. I really want Blake to throw for 400 yards against these horrible defenses we are facing but it takes him 50 pass attempts to just be short of 300 yards passing. That to me isn't gonna cut it. He is playing well enough to not lose the game now but nowhere good enough to be a true factor of us winning it.

Quote:Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. I really want Blake to throw for 400 yards against these horrible defenses we are facing but it takes him 50 pass attempts to just be short of 300 yards passing. That to me isn't gonna cut it. He is playing well enough to not lose the game now but nowhere good enough to be a true factor of us winning it.

We don't have a consistent deep threat to make the defenses respect it. We see some success early on, but then teams realize that its not something we can do consistently and just sit on the shorter routes the rest of the game.

Quote:We don't have a consistent deep threat to make the defenses respect it. We see some success early on, but then teams realize that its not something we can do consistently and just sit on the shorter routes the rest of the game.

In today's NFL you don't have to keep hitting deep passes. If you can consistently hit those intermediate routes for 12-24 yards at a time you will dominate. That's what Brady and Arod do. If Blakes accuracy improves to keep hitting those throws we will be in good shape.