Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions from the Colts Game

Quote:I'm struggling to understand why anyone would be defending Gus at this point. He came into the job as the hot coordinator prospect that was riding the coattails of a defense studded with pro bowlers and was getting interviews but not hires around the league. Should have been Dave's first clue about the guy.

It seems like Dave probably hired him purely based on how much he personally liked him, and thought he'd be a guy that wouldn't try to get into his way when it came to personnel moves. I hope Dave learned a good lesson about what criteria should be used to select a head coach.

In three years Gus has talked about getting better, but he himself doesn't seem to have done so, I don't know how he's supposed to get the team better when he himself doesn't seem to be improving in his ability to coach a team or manage a game.
This.

To me, THIS game, even more than the Patriots game, makes it very difficult to defend Gus Bradley.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If only we could sim this season because things are just getting worst for us fans. A blowout followed by a winnable loss. Next, sigh, a loss to a rookie

As the week progresses, I may calm down. But as of now? I'm sick of this.

Ticket holder since 95. I'm seriously having my doubts of any more. The definition of insanity keeps ringing in my head.

13 points to a horrible defense.

Trade our reliable kicker ( Heinz field is an anomaly) and take a chance on someone unproven

Bring in Gerhart for a loss..one play after sitting all game.

It's indescribable. Seriously, who really cares anymore.

Gus is in over his head. That seems evident.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:This.

To me, THIS game, even more than the Patriots game, makes it very difficult to defend Gus Bradley.

And he's starting to pull Dave down with him, too. Dave probably should have talked to Khan about jettisoning him after last season when they were firing Fisch. Everyone thinks Dave is selecting good players, but they consistently fail to produce. Are his choices of player really this bad, or is it just that Gus is out of his depth?

One things for sure, when heads roll this offseason if Dave's is one of them, and it probably will be, he'll only have himself to blame. Evaluating the roster and trying to improve it everywhere possible shouldn't be the limit of his efforts, he should have been critically evaluating Gus all of these years, too.

When you have the leader of men telling them that winning doesn't matter, but "competing" does, you create a loser mentality.

Gus Bradley is a loser.  And he's instilled that mentality into this team.

We are losers.  And this coach will continue it.

The talent is strong.  You don't blow up the players.

You blow up the entire coaching staff.  Bring in winners.  Pay money to bring in winners.  Overpay to bring in winners.  You never win if you're leaders are losers...  

Mularkey, and Bradley.  They are losers.

Give 10 million to get the best winner of a coach you can get.

Otherwise, what the hell are we doing?

I felt as if Bradley wrote off the Patriots game (as unwinnable) and looked past it toward this game. In the NFL with the phrase "On any given Sunday", you can't do that. 

But, Ok, he and I have a different philosophy. So he put his "efforts" and eggs into one basket in an attempt to beat the struggling Colts, and brag about being at the top of the division.

How prepared were we for this "critical" game?

We came out less disciplined than the week before, racking up penalty after penalty- one after the next at critical times.

The Jags showed no "precision" as,  once again,  adjustments were non-existent, and we fell flat on our faces in the 2nd half.  

This guy doesn't know how to coach, and I even question those who say he's a good motivator.

He needs to be fired now.

Quote:I felt as if Bradley wrote off the Patriots game (as unwinnable) and looked past it toward this game. In the NFL with the phrase "On any given Sunday", you can't do that. 

But, Ok, he and I have a different philosophy. So he put his "efforts" and eggs into one basket in an attempt to beat the struggling Colts, and brag about being at the top of the division.

How prepared were we for this "critical" game?

We came out less disciplined than the week before, racking up penalty after penalty- one after the next at critical times.

The Jags showed no "precision" as,  once again,  adjustments were non-existent, and we fell flat on our faces in the 2nd half.  

This guy doesn't know how to coach, and I even question those who say he's a good motivator.

He needs to be fired now.
Very good summary.  Looking back on it, it sure does seem like the Patriots game was a write off.  That is a losing mentality and it is being reflected.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

3 missed FGs. That's all that needs to be said.

So I heard the Ben and Jerry's have a new ice cream flavor.

It's called 'The Jaguars.'
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:The thing is, going into the season, if you said we'd be 1-3 after four games, most here wouldn't be surprised.  I wouldn't have been, and I could conceivably find reason for hope.  I certainly wouldn't anticipate being too hard on Bradley.

But looking back over the first four games, I see a TON of blown opportunity, and two winnable games LOST.

Like many, I am angry and frustrated.
You are one of the calm and collective fellows on this board and I am not surprised that you are frustrated. With you, I am no longer defending Gus Bradley. The guy has shown nothing but disappointment. None of his staff is proven to be a good hire. Jed Fisch, Bob Babbish and Greg Olsen are all unproven.

Quote:Colts had an excuse to lose. They were running with a backup QB. What was our excuse?
a backup who also happens to have multiple super bowl rings. Hasselbeck isn't a scrub.

Quote:You are one of the calm and collective fellows on this board and I am not surprised that you are frustrated. With you, I am no longer defending Gus Bradley. The guy has shown nothing but disappointment. None of his staff is proven to be a good hire. Jed Fisch, Bob Babbish and Greg Olsen are all unproven.
True. I happen to be one of those who wasn't expecting the Jags to win this... luck being out or no. At this point in the season I was expecting us to be 1-4 with our most probable next win being the bucs. Still, to lose and make a game of it is one thing... but to just go out and KILL yourselves with dumb penalties and seemingly do everything you can do to blow the game (not one, but two missed game winning overtime field goals...yikes!). Makes the HC and his coaches look incompetent, and that's putting it politely.

Gus is showing his inexperience as a HC by who he has surrounded himself with to help him and the team win. The man has put unproven coaches or one's with losing records as his supporting cast! Should any of us be 'shocked' at the out come, realizing this?

Quote:a backup who also happens to have multiple super bowl rings. Hasselbeck isn't a scrub.

I see you got an advance copy of tomorrow's Oehser article.

The only difference between this game and the Dolphins game is the kicker missed the Field Goal. If the kicker had made it everyone would be fine with this game.

Quote:The only difference between this game and the Dolphins game is the kicker missed the Field Goal. If the kicker had made it everyone would be fine with this game.
No I wouldn't. I'm always happy when my jags win but there is no way I can be confident in this coach and qb when I see 13 points every week. They won't win games with that consistently no matter how much I like them. 

Quote:The only difference between this game and the Dolphins game is the kicker missed the Field Goal. If the kicker had made it everyone would be fine with this game.

We know the Colts are bad especially since they are missing their franchise QB. People thought the Dolphins were good at the time. Now that we know otherwise, people would have expected a more convincing win against them. That is if the Jags were any good, which we now know they're not.

You're wrong for two reasons. First, we at least put up 23 that day. Second, we didn't know yet how bad the dolphins were. We thought we gritted out a solid win from a stout defense.

Today is a game we should win handy when they're without luck.

I really like Gus the person.  But at the end of the day, this is a results oriented business.  And he isnt producing.  We have started to acquire real talent.  Bortles is still a work in progress but in the last few weeks has shown real quality over extended periods of time.  We have talent at RB and WR.  The oline still has problems.  But better QB play can fix that.  As can a bigtime talent on the outside. Our defensive line is a real strength.  I can go on.  Point is we have real talent.  And while maybe we arent a consistent double digit winning team, we should be a 500 team at worst.  We shouldnt be the bottom of the barrel losing games to teams like the Colts without Luck.  The last two weeks have been a really poor indictment of Bradley's coaching.  We constantly make mental errors.  Lining up incorrectly.  It shouldnt be happening over and over again but it does.  And thats on Bradley.

The real shame is I would love to keep him on the team in some fashion.  But if we were to replace him at the end of the season, he couldnt just step down to DC.

Quote:I really like Gus the person.  But at the end of the day, this is a results oriented business.  And he isnt producing.  We have started to acquire real talent.  Bortles is still a work in progress but in the last few weeks has shown real quality over extended periods of time.  We have talent at RB and WR.  The oline still has problems.  But better QB play can fix that.  As can a bigtime talent on the outside. Our defensive line is a real strength.  I can go on.  Point is we have real talent.  And while maybe we arent a consistent double digit winning team, we should be a 500 team at worst.  We shouldnt be the bottom of the barrel losing games to teams like the Colts without Luck.  The last two weeks have been a really poor indictment of Bradley's coaching.  We constantly make mental errors.  Lining up incorrectly.  It shouldnt be happening over and over again but it does.  And thats on Bradley.

The real shame is I would love to keep him on the team in some fashion.  But if we were to replace him at the end of the season, he couldnt just step down to DC.

This is pretty much how I feel. We are about a #1 receiver, pass rusher and other defensive playmaker away from being a really good team. Possibly also a QB because I don't know if Blake is ever going to be any better than Eli Manning, but you can still win with an Eli type QB if everything else is pretty good.

I have met Gus multiple times and I really like him, but he just doesn't seem to be getting the job done.

I'd have liked a win but wouldn't believe everything was "fine".  This is a young and inexperienced offense.  They don't finish drives and they don't execute very well.  They played a poor defense today and there were positives but we didn't do anything to take the game.  I was fine with the conservative plan closing out at the end of regulation (i.e. playing for the field goal).  For overtime, jeez we didn't look too good.

You noticed the unpredictable play the Colts ran to improve their chance to get the field goal?  Yeah we don't have anything in our play book like that it seems.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.