Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions from the Colts Game

Quote:The thing is, going into the season, if you said we'd be 1-3 after four games, most here wouldn't be surprised.  I wouldn't have been, and I could conceivably find reason for hope.  I certainly wouldn't anticipate being too hard on Bradley.

But looking back over the first four games, I see a TON of blown opportunity, and two winnable games LOST.

Like many, I am angry and frustrated.
1-3 looks ok when you are buying into the myth that there are "good losses" in the NFL.

People at the beginning of the season were saying 6-10 would be an acceptable record if we could stay in games because those would be "better" losses. It just doesn't work that way at this level of the game.

Losing close games rarely ever means a good effort that comes up short. It usually means missed opportunities and mistakes in clutch situations like we saw today. The only way these types of games look good is if you are the one that comes out on the winning end. The idea that people would view these close games as somehow "acceptable" and that having a losing record as long as you show progress would sit well as a fan was a myth. Losses when you do actually get to see them are ugly things.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

After debating it has dawned on me that this team is still trying to find it way. The improvement is not to get blown out by 30 every game and compete. I can truly say that they have been in all these games except for the pats game. That is improvement I see. My impression from this game is that i need to reel in my expectations and keep looking for the improvements. Finishing drives, getting first downs, performing back to back positive plays, lining up correctly, getting off the field on 3rd down etc... I now realize this team is still developing. That is my impression of the game. 

Quote:This team doesn't know how to win

I really think that is a big part of it.  They dont know how to lead or how to close a game...

You have to blame Head Coach Gus Bradley for that...

Quote:After debating it has dawned on me that this team is still trying to find it way. The improvement is not to get blown out by 30 every game and compete. I can truly say that they have been in all these games except for the pats game. That is improvement I see. My impression from this game is that i need to reel in my expectations and keep looking for the improvements. Finishing drives, getting first downs, performing back to back positive plays, lining up correctly, getting off the field on 3rd down etc... I now realize this team is still developing. That is my impression of the game. 
https://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-cont...AX-Off.jpg

PFF grades of the Offense prior to the start of the season..

Both Linder & Thomas didnt play so thats all average or below playing against the rest of the NFL...

maybe we as fans simply over hype our players & thus our expectations for the team... lets face it with this leadership(coaches) and talent the team is lucky to get 6 wins this year and playoff hopes are simply a joke to anyone you would suggest it to...

Matt Hasselbeck doesn't have any SB rings, let alone "multiple".  He was a good, not great QB in his prime, which was over close to a decade ago.

This loss was gut wrenching. Seriously the most emotional loss in a long time. I was mad, upset, confused, etc. Now that I've had time to calm down, and analyze, here's my thoughts.

Bortles:

He's on pace for 4000 yards, 24 tds, and 12 ints. He's currently 16th in total QBR. Just behind Wilson, ahead of Peyton, Eli, Brees, Cam. Oh and Mariota.

I like Bortles, he's playing well, making good decisions and reads. His first half against Indy was nearly flawless. He still makes a poor throw here or there, but this was still only his 17th start. He makes less dumb decisions than Luck does at this point. I can't put all the 2nd half issues on him, but that is where his next step of development needs to be. I think he puts that together against TB.

Myers missed a 53(2) and 48 yard fg. He's a rookie kicker in probably the most high pressure kick we've faced in years. I'm not too concerned unless it becomes a trend. Still sucks, but had we gotten a td on that first and goal instead of a fg, we would not have even been at that point.

Offense in general is much better than we were last year. We're 18th in total offense, we move the ball well and have talent. I still think we may be trying to force the ball to ARob a bit, but he's a playmaker. JT should alleviate some of that pressure and really help the red zone. Experience is what we're lacking in the red zone and he brings that. Yeldon has talent, our OL needs to open some holes, when he has room to run, he does well. He'll start coming on more as the season goes on.

The defense played well. We're 4th in rush defense. The NE game skewed the pass def (as they will for everyone) penalties killed us. We gifted them a td that turned out to be a game changer. Hasselebeck is a quality back up, despite his age. Better than getting smoked by Brandon Weedon or Luke McCown. But still unsettling. Regardless, if you hold a team to 13, you should win.

Coaching seems to be an issue. I've been a huge Gus supporter, and I still don't think you fire him yet. But there was a discipline issue in defense which is coaching and the second half offense is concerning as well. Players still seem to want to play for him. I'll hold judgement on him till season end. Does us no good to cut him right now.

The loss was heartbreaking. That said, mathematically we're not out, and we're through the rough part of our schedule. JT and Marks should be back soon and Bortles continues to improve. We've had a chance to win every game except NE, which is something we haven't seen in years. TB will show us if we're really middle of the pack or still a bottom feeder.

We're on to Tampa Bay.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

The most frusterating thing, to me, is that when you watch us play the talent and ability is there. Bortles has a 99.0 QBR in his first half play, but drops to the 60's in the second half. Yes, he's young and this is an inexperienced offense but the coaches should be able to compensate for that with proper gameplanning and adjustments.

I truly don't think it matters how talented any of our drafts or signings are - we aren't going to the players, let alone a Super Bowl, with Gus Bradley as our head coach. He just does not have what it takes. 

I still have confidence in Caldwell - not infinite, but enough to be patient with our players. But the coaching is simply unacceptable after three seasons.

We aren't going anywhere with the current coaching. We have players with talent and ability, a few potential stars, but that potential is never going to be tapped with Bradley leading us.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 07:38 AM by temporaryname.)

Quote:This loss was gut wrenching. Seriously the most emotional loss in a long time. I was mad, upset, confused, etc. Now that I've had time to calm down, and analyze, here's my thoughts.

Bortles:

He's on pace for 4000 yards, 24 tds, and 12 ints. He's currently 16th in total QBR. Just behind Wilson, ahead of Peyton, Eli, Brees, Cam. Oh and Mariota.

I like Bortles, he's playing well, making good decisions and reads. His first half against Indy was nearly flawless. He still makes a poor throw here or there, but this was still only his 17th start. He makes less dumb decisions than Luck does at this point. I can't put all the 2nd half issues on him, but that is where his next step of development needs to be. I think he puts that together against TB.

Myers missed a 53(2) and 48 yard fg. He's a rookie kicker in probably the most high pressure kick we've faced in years. I'm not too concerned unless it becomes a trend. Still sucks, but had we gotten a td on that first and goal instead of a fg, we would not have even been at that point.

Offense in general is much better than we were last year. We're 18th in total offense, we move the ball well and have talent. I still think we may be trying to force the ball to ARob a bit, but he's a playmaker. JT should alleviate some of that pressure and really help the red zone. Experience is what we're lacking in the red zone and he brings that. Yeldon has talent, our OL needs to open some holes, when he has room to run, he does well. He'll start coming on more as the season goes on.

The defense played well. We're 4th in rush defense. The NE game skewed the pass def (as they will for everyone) penalties killed us. We gifted them a td that turned out to be a game changer. Hasselebeck is a quality back up, despite his age. Better than getting smoked by Brandon Weedon or Luke McCown. But still unsettling. Regardless, if you hold a team to 13, you should win.

Coaching seems to be an issue. I've been a huge Gus supporter, and I still don't think you fire him yet. But there was a discipline issue in defense which is coaching and the second half offense is concerning as well. Players still seem to want to play for him. I'll hold judgement on him till season end. Does us no good to cut him right now.

The loss was heartbreaking. That said, mathematically we're not out, and we're through the rough part of our schedule. JT and Marks should be back soon and Bortles continues to improve. We've had a chance to win every game except NE, which is something we haven't seen in years. TB will show us if we're really middle of the pack or still a bottom feeder.

We're on to Tampa Bay.

Finally, a voice of reason... After having read the majority of these threads, I was beginning to think I'd stumbled into an idiot convention.

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Quote:Finally, a voice of reason... After having read the majority of these threads, I was beginning to think I'd stumbled into an idiot convention.

Yes, we're the ones in the wrong and you are in the right. Surely we are still on the path to victory!

[Image: tJ8smuY.jpg]

Quote:Yes, we're the ones in the wrong and you are in the right. Surely we are still on the path to victory!

[Image: tJ8smuY.jpg]

I think we kindergartners are just cranky and need our snacks and nap time.....lol.  I wish I understood the game of football better so I could enjoy what is obviously a good football team we have.  End sarcasm.

One of these years.............

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 07:59 AM by elprimero.)

I am very nervous about the affect firing Gus & co would have on Bortles.

Lol this guy thinks the offense is better, we can't get to 20 points on the same squad that is giving up an average of 33 points a game minus 2 starters.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Delusional fan base.

Not delusional. Just looking at raw numbers. The team is absolutely not where it should be. How much is coaching, how much is execution, how much is play calling? I don't have the knowledge to accurately say.

But, in my opinion, there's something to be said about Blake's development, and the ability for the offense to move the ball. Again, I'm not saying we are a good offense, we absolutely need to score more points. Same for defense. The NE game is an outlier that's going to distort most teams. Buffalo has a better defense than us but is ranked below us bc NE torched them.

I'm still mad, if we don't see significant improvement Gus is gone. The team is not where it should be at this point, and I'm not happy with it. But there are pieces that are starting to come together, whether that's bc of Gus or in spite of Gus is the question that will be answered this year. I still think he gets his full 4 years at this point.

Blake is doing what people wanted in the offseason, the record is better than most people were predicting at this point in the season, though it's still not good enough.

I just would rather look at some positives than be all negative and ruin my week.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

hey not bad thoughts overall...   I agree with you.  I also have no problem with the negative threads.  It is very hard to believe this team is being put in the best position to win.  The offensive production is awful.  The second half adjustments are so tilted towards the other team that you have to wonder what is going on.

All that can happen is the next game will get played.  We'll see.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Will other teams follow suit and rest their starting QB vs the Jags

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/JAX-Off.jpg'>https://www.profootballfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/JAX-Off.jpg</a>

PFF grades of the Offense prior to the start of the season..

Both Linder & Thomas didnt play so thats all average or below playing against the rest of the NFL...

maybe we as fans simply over hype our players & thus our expectations for the team... lets face it with this leadership(coaches) and talent the team is lucky to get 6 wins this year and playoff hopes are simply a joke to anyone you would suggest it to...

Yeah I think we over hype our players big time. I think we have a better pool of talent but we are still in need of higher end talent. We truly don't have one consistent playmaker on either side of the ball but I think the overall talent of the roster is stable enough to compete. This is a step in the right direction. I hate saying it but this team just needs more time to acquire more talent not so much gel together or gain experience.

I look at a team like the packers. They drafted their whole offensive line, the qb, all their wideouts, their running backs, their secondary their line backing core and the majority of their d-line. They have top end talent all over the roster and then they have supplemented the rest of the roster with cheap free agents who excel in their system.

Caldwell; to me, is following this approach and I think he has a roster full of his own draft picks and free agents that are fitting well into the roster and scheme. We just haven't had enough drafts to get the top end talent we need to make the plays. The play makers are in the draft and we've only had three. Not trying to make and excuse just pointing out the reality. Now if he will be the guy to acquire that talent in the future remains to be seen but that is the issue. We have been so bad drafting as a franchise we are still feeling the effects of it a decade later.

Guys like Byron, Harvey, Groves, Williams, Jones should be our major contributors still. The Ravens are still trotting out Suggs every week (I know he got injured but the point still remains), the steelers are still winning games on Big Ben's back, Arod and Clay Matthews are still terrorizing the league, McCourty is a top 5 safety and corner, Matt Ryan is still the man in Atl etc... Hopefully this team will start finding playmakers. We have a roster that can compete with most teams but when it boils down to it we have zero playmakers and that's what you need to win in this league.

Quote:Myers missed a 53(2) and 48 yard fg. He's a rookie kicker in probably the most high pressure kick we've faced in years. I'm not too concerned unless it becomes a trend. Still sucks, but had we gotten a td on that first and goal instead of a fg, we would not have even been at that point.

A kicker shouldn't even be allowed to live (figuratively) after missing three game winners. I'm sure this is not the first time he's had to kick a high pressure game winner in his career and it won't be his last, so what other excuse outside of it being in the NFL? Does the kicking game drastically change from college to the pros? Is he so easily psyched out that the idea of making these kicks as a professional is some monumental task?

I defended the guy after week 1 because I don't believe in canning a kicker over one missed field goal or even an extra point. But Myers missed three game winning field goals in a single game. There's absolutely no excuse for that, and in any other organization he doesn't see the field next week, rookie or not. For a team that relies heavily on winning by three points, this is a big, big issue. Literally any other kicker in the league, even Scobee, makes at least one of those three kicks.

I knew we were in trouble with him as soon as the camera crew zoomed in on his face and showed him deeply exhaling as if he had already soiled his britches. 10/10, yes I still mad

The rest of your analysis is great though.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:lining up correctly...

I think I liked this one the best.  Maybe in year 5 we'll be ready to line up correctly.