Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Alabama requires Voter ID. Closes driver's license offices in 8 of the 10 counties with the highest percentage of...

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015...are_t.html

Some interesting notes here.

Alabama might as well just send an invitation to the Justice Department. Come on in guys. Come on down.

No need to reply with an RSVP. Because we know you'll be here. How could you resist?

Because Alabama just took a giant step backward.

Take a look at the 10 Alabama counties with the highest percentage of non-white registered voters. That's Macon, Greene, Sumter, Lowndes, Bullock, Perry, Wilcox, Dallas, Hale, and Montgomery, according to the Alabama Secretary of State's office. Alabama, thanks to its budgetary insanity and inanity, just opted to close driver license bureaus in eight of them. All but Dallas and Montgomery will be closed.

Every single county in which blacks make up more than 75 percent of registered voters will see their driver license office closed. Every one.

Look at the five counties that voted most solidly Democratic? Macon, Greene, Sumter, Lowndes and Bullock counties all had their driver license offices closed.

Look at the 10 that voted most solidly for Obama? Of those, eight – again all but Dallas and the state capital of Montgomery – had their offices closed.

Closed.

;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It can be a pretty ugly, backwards country we live in. Amazing this stuff still happens in 2015.

Purely coincidence I am sure.

WAKA! WAKA!

Government.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:It can be a pretty ugly, backwards country we live in. Amazing this stuff still happens in 2015.

Amazing what happens? Government buildings get shut down due to lack of funding?

perhaps the folks making this decision understand that federal funds would be forthcoming if these offices are closed.

They must have some tough voter registration rules in Alabama.  Who knew you had to register while simultaneously taking a driver's road exam:

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency announced today that driver license examiners will no longer work at 31 part-time satellite offices not owned by the state...

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">ALEA said the reduction in service at the driver's license offices was caused by a cut in the agency's General Fund appropriation.

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">ALEA spokeswoman Anna Morris said that examiners from ALEA's district offices will no longer spend a portion of their week traveling to and working in the county satellite offices.

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">That means people won't be able to test for a new driver's license in those county offices. But the counties could still provide services such as license renewal...

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">Law Enforcement Secretary Spencer Collier said ALEA's General Fund appropriation was reduced from $56 million to $45 million.

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">Collier said the Driver License Division, which issues 1.2 million licenses a year, is understaffed and has 103 vacant positions.

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">The 31 satellite locations handle less than 5 percent of driver license transactions, according to ALEA.

Quote:They must have some tough voter registration rules in Alabama.  Who knew you had to register while simultaneously taking a driver's road exam:

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency announced today that driver license examiners will no longer work at 31 part-time satellite offices not owned by the state...

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">ALEA said the reduction in service at the driver's license offices was caused by a cut in the agency's General Fund appropriation.

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">ALEA spokeswoman Anna Morris said that examiners from ALEA's district offices will no longer spend a portion of their week traveling to and working in the county satellite offices.

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">That means people won't be able to test for a new driver's license in those county offices. But the counties could still provide services such as license renewal...

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">Law Enforcement Secretary Spencer Collier said ALEA's General Fund appropriation was reduced from $56 million to $45 million.

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">Collier said the Driver License Division, which issues 1.2 million licenses a year, is understaffed and has 103 vacant positions.

<p style="color:rgb(54,54,54);font-family:Georgia, serif;font-size:16px;">The 31 satellite locations handle less than 5 percent of driver license transactions, according to ALEA.

I can't believe it. They only provide renewal services. Disgusting. I can't believe they only renew. This is 2015 for crying out loud! How will people ever acquire a state ID now? Lord knows the only way you can get a state ID is when you take your driving test. This country is so backwards.

C'mon guys...we need the funds to build roads in Afghanistan, and for training the Iraqi military.
Blakes Life Matters

I have been waiting all day for this.  Let me say this, as a black man i cannot tell you how much this argument offends me.  The idea by some on the left that just because of the melanin content in my skin that unless something is spoon fed to me that i am too stupid and too lazy to do it on my own is the most sickening form of bigotry that exists in Modern society.  

Just because I'm black doesn't mean i can't drive.  

Just because i'm black doesn't mean that i can't plan ahead.  

just because i'm black doesn't mean that i can't afford the 17 bucks to obtain an ID.  

Just because i'm black doesn't mean i am too stupid to pass a driving test.

Just because I'm black doesn't mean I am some utterly helpless creature for you people to pitty like some circus animal.  

The civil rights acts of the mid 60's were secured by black organization, peaceful protests, boycotts, marches, and demonstrations that have come to underwrite our countries modern history and the bills were written with the blood of those martyred in the struggle.  The idea that in the wake of this great generation the left continues to promote the idea that any perceived hardship will cripple black people is the kind of bigotted racist thinking that should have died in the last century!

Quote:I have been waiting all day for this.  Let me say this, as a black man i cannot tell you how much this argument offends me.  The idea by some on the left that just because of the melanin content in my skin that unless something is spoon fed to me that i am too stupid and too lazy to do it on my own is the most sickening form of bigotry that exists in Modern society.  

just because i'm black doesn't mean that i can't afford the 17 bucks to obtain an ID.  

Just because I'm black doesn't mean I am some utterly helpless creature for you people to pitty like some circus animal.  

The civil rights acts of the mid 60's were secured by black organization, peaceful protests, boycotts, marches, and demonstrations that have come to underwrite our countries modern history and the bills were written with the blood of those martyred in the struggle.  The idea that in the wake of this great generation the left continues to promote the idea that any perceived hardship will cripple black people is the kind of bigotted racist thinking that should have died in the last century!
Well stated.  

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:I have been waiting all day for this.  Let me say this, as a black man i cannot tell you how much this argument offends me.  The idea by some on the left that just because of the melanin content in my skin that unless something is spoon fed to me that i am too stupid and too lazy to do it on my own is the most sickening form of bigotry that exists in Modern society.  

Careful.  Being a black man with brains and conservative values will get you labeled as an "uncle Tom", not by the supposedly "racist right", but those on the left.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

very well put jj . its about time liberals heard this .

Let's make segregation legal again and stop doing this covert racism stuff.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Let's make segregation legal again and stop doing this covert racism stuff.

Isn't that what #BLM wants?

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 08:04 PM by EricC85.)

Quote:Let's make segregation legal again and stop doing this covert racism stuff.
Segregation is the state sponsoring divisions between the races that's completely different from private individuals being free to associate and not associate with whom they chose.

I absolutely 100% oppose state sponsored segregation, black schools white schools, black buses white buses, black bathrooms white bathrooms ect.....

Now if some idiot in Alabama wants to say in my restaurant I don't want any blacks or whites or Asians or gays or Christians that's his right, he won't be in business long anyways.

What private individuals and business do is completely different from what the state does.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Isn't that what #BLM  radical right wants?
Yes.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:Segregation is the state sponsoring divisions between the races that's completely different from private individuals being free to associate and not associate with whom they chose.

I absolutely 100% oppose state sponsored segregation, black schools white schools, black buses white buses, black bathrooms white bathrooms ect.....

Now if some idiot in Alabama wants to say in my restaurant I don't want any blacks or whites or Asians or gays or Christians that's his right, he won't be in business long anyways.

What private individuals and business do is completely different from what the state does.

Please remove the political juice from your response.

Look at who is at the bottom when it comes to education, income, quality of health.  Its African Americans,

Its time we get back to the basics where we separate because desegregation is not working and has failed the American society.

There is a middle school, which I think is Jeb stuart or Butler which has its school divided by gender and it is working. 

Desegregation didnt fail. Secular progressivism failed. The leading determining factor in the success of a child isnt race its the marital status of their parents. Before the 60s when most blacks were pro business pro individual responsibility republicans we had marriage rates equal to or better than that of our white counterparts and this was the foundation of the communal fiver that allowed us to mount the civil rights movement in the first place.

What changed? We went from 89% of black kids growing up with two parents to 28% and a cultural shift from understanding we must over acgieve to lay the groundwork for the next generation being seen as equals and enslaved ourselves to a bohemian hip hop culture that ostrecises anyone not seen as DOWN. in 2007 barracl obama was seen as not BLACK ENOUGH. BLACK being defined in the mid 90s by the clintons as meaning that you smoke werd commit adultery dont respect women and come from a broken home (remember the whole FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT THING. it was like labelling every black man in the country the n word)

So we have a culture thats structurally dysfunctional promotes destructive behavior and attacks prople who exhibit constructive behavior. You can spend all the money on infrastructure you want as long as those things stay the same nothing will change (as evidenced by the 22 trillion dollars weve spent on the war on poverty so far with no resulys.)

Quote:Please remove the political juice from your response.

Look at who is at the bottom when it comes to education, income, quality of health. Its African Americans,

Its time we get back to the basics where we separate because desegregation is not working and has failed the American society.

There is a middle school, which I think is Jeb stuart or Butler which has its school divided by gender and it is working.

There no policitical juice, racism can't be outlawed it would be impossible to enforce. That's different than saying the government which represents all people can not invoke racist policies and segregation.

As to why African Americans are statistical at the bottom of the economic ladder that's a complex issue that goes far beyond segregation.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]