Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: From the 2013 class, which players would you extend?
Luke Joeckel
Johnathan Cyprien
Dwayne Gratz
Denard Robinson
Josh Evans
Demetrius McCray
[Show Results]

Which Draft Picks Would You Extend?

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 10:52 PM by clfcrn777.)

Fact of the matter is, by the time we get 4 or 5 years into this regime, we are going to have to start making some decisions on who to offer contract extensions to. Keeping in mind that you likely won't be able to bring them all back (and heck, you may not even want a lot of them back), which players would you make a concerted effort to keep going forward?

Keep in mind that money used on these guys could be money spent on someone from somewhere else...

Try to be honest, and try to base your opinions on what we have seen thus far.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 11:05 PM by clfcrn777.)

Can I ask, why Luke Bowanko? I mean I know the radio guys gush about him, but the reality is he's a backup center who won the position last year almost by default (no established veteran was even passable).

I like Chris Smith, but I'm gonna need to see more.

I'm also not sure about Blake to this point. Until this offense starts putting up 20 consistently, I just don't see the point. Nothing I've seen so far would justify an extension. Waaaay too many errant throws. Accuracy is a huge concern right now, which is troubling given all the offseason work he put in.

I'd consider McCray, ARob, Linder, Colvin and T. Smith for contract extensions after the 2016 season. On the rest of them I have to see more. Bortles may be in this mix as well, but it's still too early to say. Anyone else still needs to work their way into the discussion by then.

'02

You offer extensions to all of them. Most won't command top dollar besides Linder if we're going by what we've seen so far and by doing so you build quality depth with starting experience even if you find a upgrade at their respective positions.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

ARob and Linder. That's it.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

RG Linder could probably attract a high draft pick or decent player in a trade as he is one of the best players on the team even though he is only in his 2nd year.

WR Allen Robinson started to get attention after that miami game, but struggled when the Patriots game planned for him.  WR Hurns is good too but both have to stop dropping so many passes, they make a good combo & if Lee could remain healthy combined with TE Thomas out on the field it would really allow Bortles to spread the ball out.  Too Bad TE Lewis hasnt been as good as we all had hoped this year.

OLB Telvin Smith was a huge steal going that late in the draft and is only getting better. 

GM Dave Caldwell had a really good 2014 draft, cant say that about 2013 as I struggled to pick a person.  I went with McCray because he does have potential.

Quote:ARob and Linder. That's it.

Even for these two this isn't really worth discussing until after the 2016 season as I presume they've all signed four-year deals. The 2013 picks are signed through 2016, and we probably can wait until just before free agency to any of sign them. Maybe we can look at Gratz or McCray after this season depending on how they perform. As for the 2014 picks, there's no reason to extend any until after 2016.

The guys we really need to look at are the picks from 2012 who are about to his free agency. That is... Branch, Anger and the undrafted Ryan Davis. At this point I don't see Branch sticking.

'02

Quote:WR Hurns is good too...

Now Hurns might be a player we look to extend after this season since he only signed a 3-year deal as a UDFA.

'02

It would be a huge mistake not to as I think he'll only get better this year improving upon last season's success especially with Defenses not focusing on him as much as they did after his two TDs in week 1 last year.

Quote:Even for these two this isn't really worth discussing until after the 2016 season as I presume they've all signed four-year deals. The 2013 picks are signed through 2016, and we probably can wait until just before free agency to any of sign them. Maybe we can look at Gratz or McCray after this season depending on how they perform. As for the 2014 picks, there's no reason to extend any until after 2016.

The guys we really need to look at are the picks from 2012 who are about to his free agency. That is... Branch, Anger and the undrafted Ryan Davis. At this point I don't see Branch sticking.
This is mainly supposed to be a critique of Caldwell's drafting, rather than FA or anything gene smith did.

Quote:ARob and Linder. That's it.
Telvin?

Quote:Telvin?

Definitely.

ARob, Linder, and Telvin are on track for stardom. McCray and Colvin, while not likely to be Pro Bowlers, are solid building blocks. Bowanko and DRob are both worth keeping. Bortles still is a work in progress, but he's not a bust.

Hopefully the current staff doesn't ruin them.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

So, it's still early in the polling, but what it looks like we can conclude is the following:

Consensus seems to be that Caldwell wiffed on his first 3 picks of the 2013 draft.

What's also interesting is that while caldwell appears to have found good value in the middle rounds of 2014, the futures of Marqise Lee and Blake Bortles are somewhat in doubt.

This doesn't necessarily suggest that Caldwell is terrible, but it does suggest that he may be closer to Shack Harris than Gene Smith as a GM. Remember, Harris rarely hit on early picks, but found steals late.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2015, 02:16 AM by Sosa.)

Quote:So, it's still early in the polling, but what it looks like we can conclude is the following:

Consensus seems to be that Caldwell wiffed on his first 3 picks of the 2013 draft.

What's also interesting is that while caldwell appears to have found good value in the middle rounds of 2014, the futures of Marqise Lee and Blake Bortles are somewhat in doubt.

This doesn't necessarily suggest that Caldwell is terrible, but it does suggest that he may be closer to Shack Harris than Gene Smith as a GM. Remember, Harris rarely hit on early picks, but found steals late.
The guy has hit more picks in one draft than Jeans Smiff hit his entire career. Switching out GM's this much would be stupid, but I'm okay with changing coaches. I really like Caldwell and he seems like a very intelligent guy. Night and day difference compared to the other two clowns we had back in the day.

Everyone is sleeping on Telvin... he's a really good OLB!

Telvin Smith OLB with 29 Comb, 20 total tackles ranked 6th in the NFL!

(side note Paul Posluszny is ranked 1st with 34 comb, 29 total, 3 PDef, 1 Int)

I went with Cyp, Robinson and McCray for the '13 draft class - even though I think Sample will become a better SS.

For the '14 draft class, I chose all of them honestly. I think that Lee and Smith just need more reps, whether that is from getting healthy or trying to get in the rotation. 

Quote:You offer extensions to all of them. Most won't command top dollar besides Linder if we're going by what we've seen so far and by doing so you build quality depth with starting experience even if you find a upgrade at their respective positions.
I agree with this sentiment as well.

They can serve to be quality depth at a good price too. The problem is that other teams may poach a couple of these players, which may trigger a bidding war. At that point, it might be better if the team lets one of these "fringe" players walk.

Someone who voted didn't select ARob.  Laughing

I was thinking about him, but I'm just not sold just yet. He makes some good plays, no doubt.

Quote:Everyone is sleeping on Telvin... he's a really good OLB!

Telvin Smith OLB with 29 Comb, 20 total tackles ranked 6th in the NFL!

(side note Paul Posluszny is ranked 1st with 34 comb, 29 total, 3 PDef, 1 Int)

I bet our D is on the field more than any other team.