Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Greg Olson

It's Olson by the way...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:My early thoughts are that the play calling is good enough to keep the ball moving and defenses guessing, but it does seem to bog down a bit in the red zone and the run game still needs all sorts of work to be effective.

Keep in mind the offense was designed in part knowing Julius would be a central figure, and he's been gone. You'd like to be able to rely on Marcedes more, but he's dropped more than half the passes thrown his way.

Marcedes is doing some dirty work and has only been targeted 2 times maybe. Blake will throw 3 scores to Robinson on Sunday.

Quote:Carr has played the Bengals (got smoked), a bad Ravens defense and the Browns.....

Bortles has played the Panthers (very good Secondary), the Dolphins and the juggernaut Pats.

Though to add to that very good secondary argument, they have faced Bortles, a newly promoted Mallett, and Luke McCown. 

Quote:Carr has played the Bengals (got smoked), a bad Ravens defense and the Browns.....

Bortles has played the Panthers (very good Secondary), the Dolphins and the juggernaut Pats.

To be fair the Browns DBs are really good, you know they have a guy named Joe Haden whom isnt too shaby.  Justin Gilbert is decent too.  Good DB coach in Cleveland.

Quote:I believe he's the best OC the Jaguars have hired in recent memory. Don't you think? No alt here. I'm ALLIN!
When your competition is Jedd Fisch and Bob Bratkowski, that's not a high bar to cross. Koetter would have game planned circles around Olson.

Quote:Keep in mind the offense was designed in part knowing Julius would be a central figure, and he's been gone. You'd like to be able to rely on Marcedes more, but he's dropped more than half the passes thrown his way.
Wasn't Thomas signed specifically because you can't rely on Lewis?

Quote:Wasn't Thomas signed specifically because you can't rely on Lewis?

In part, but then in the offseason the pair was being billed as a dominant pass catching duo.

'02

Why would people be shocked that Mike Mularkey's QBs coach of a few years ago made OC by GM Dave Caldwell is struggling to get a productive Offense going in Jacksonville?

To me Ast HC/OLine coach Marrone was brought here to fix the oline, DONE!  He has done a great job.

OC Olson #1 task was to improve Bortles - that is still very much up for debate... We are only heading into week 4  & just had to play the SuperBowl Patriots... so... lets see how he does against the Colts...

Everyone on the Jaguars team including coaching staff has to nail this game, to calm the fans down.

Quote:In part, but then in the offseason the pair was being billed as a dominant pass catching duo.

I dunno, I always thought they were trying to trade away Lewis & couldnt so then they were hoping for a TE duo (but of course they were expecting LT Luke Joeckel to play much better than he did, and now they really need Lewis to block next to LT Young).

Agreed though that a lot of hype from the franchise during the Offseason about Bortles to TE Thomas, so we should expect quite a show.

It seems to be execution to me. Every time we get to the red zone area it seems like someone makes a mistake. Like their scared to get to close.

Quote:In part, but then in the offseason the pair was being billed as a dominant pass catching duo.
Without thomas on the field lewis is ineffective

Watching our offense and the fact that we have one promising receiver and some other potential contributors, I think anyone calling plays for this team is screwed.  The defense is middle of the pack but could do better if the offense was more capable.  The offense is young, inexperienced and working through another playbook.

I'm banging the CBA drum again.  These coaches just don't get to spend enough time with the players anymore.  You have to have consistency in the playbook from year to year and we don't have that.  The check with me, audibles and adjustments just aren't there yet.  I don't think they have the ability to deviate from the game plan one bit.

With what they put in place the only option is to execute better.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:It seems to be execution to me. Every time we get to the red zone area it seems like someone makes a mistake. Like their scared to get to close.
"What do you think about the execution of your team?"

"I'm all for it."

RIP John McKay

We finished next to last in offense, fire our offensive coordinator, and hire the guy that finished last.

To expect a huge improvement is just wishful thinking.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:We finished next to last in offense, fire our offensive coordinator, and hire the guy that finished last.

To expect a huge improvement is just wishful thinking.

This was my first impression of the hire and it made me just want to slap my head. However, the more I looked into the hire the more I liked it. Much of the issue in Oakland was that the players didn't fit his scheme, and Olson isn't one to deviate a whole lot to mesh with talent. As I got to understand his scheme the more I realized it really fits the Jaguars talent well.

'02

Quote:This was my first impression of the hire and it made me just want to slap my head. However, the more I looked into the hire the more I liked it. Much of the issue in Oakland was that the players didn't fit his scheme, and Olson isn't one to deviate a whole lot to mesh with talent. As I got to understand his scheme the more I realized it really fits the Jaguars talent well.
9 points, 23 points, 17 points.

Color me unimpressed
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:This was my first impression of the hire and it made me just want to slap my head. However, the more I looked into the hire the more I liked it. Much of the issue in Oakland was that the players didn't fit his scheme, and Olson isn't one to deviate a whole lot to mesh with talent. As I got to understand his scheme the more I realized it really fits the Jaguars talent well.
9 points, 23 points, 17 points.

Color me unimpressed

Which color is unimpressed exactly?

The CBS infographic showed a breakdown on who Greg Olson has had at the helm of his system.  In each case you could see the material being worked with was always raw.  Based on the preseason, the concepts seem good.  The team needs time to grow up and execute the plans.

Bortles is still raw and isn't really changing plays or making adjustments.  They are bringing things along slowly.  We'll have to see how things progress.  I hate waiting but hey at least we have football.  Even the Jaguars version is better than nothing.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 09:22 AM by Jagsoriginal.)

Quote:We also have talent. Robinson is good, we have a RB now, Hurns is alright, and Lee can be explosive. We should be playing better offense, it's only a tad bit better than last year. Not a big difference yet, maybe they get better.
I struggle with this all the time.  Are these players really good compared to their NFL counterparts, our are they just good compared to the other players we have/ have had with the Jags?  How many teams would Robinson be a #1 on?   Would Hurns start for any of the top 15 teams?    I do think they are getting better and both of these may in time be studs, but they are still very young

Quote:Which color is unimpressed exactly?

Black, teal, and gold.