Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Year 3 of the rebuild. The arrow is not pointing up. When to hit the reset button?

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 03:13 PM by Cleatwood.)

Quote:I love when people act like nothing has changed in 3 years as if the ONLY thing that matters is the HC. 
Never said nothing has changed. I like the talent that has be acquired. I just don't like the HC. A better HC can't make this team better. Is Bradley getting the most out of this roster? We obviously don't know but I'm not sure how someone could do worse.

When teams don't win, it's usually the coach who gets fired and rightfully so. It all starts and ends with the HC. Our Oline has gotten better (props to Marrone). WR's look pretty good. RBs look pretty good. Position coaches seem to be doing well. HC is still making dumb mistakes 3 years into this.

I'm not saying to fire Gus right now either because firing him right now won't do anything. However, I think if we can't string together a few more wins and be 4-6 after 10, he needs to go.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:MJD is one of the best backs from the past decade - super-star, amazing talent. He started off as a KR and worked his way up in his first few years. TJ shouldn't be treated or approached any differently.

He didn't exactly start out as a kick returner.

He ran for almost 1000 yards as a rookie.

Quote:He didn't exactly start out as a kick returner.

He ran for almost 1000 yards as a rookie.
He did start out as one and then was used as our 3rd down back in 2006, wutchu mean?

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 05:36 PM by MoJagFan.)

Quote:This team really was just that bad when Caldwell came and we were in salary cap hell as well. I know people had their hearts set on a 3 year build but the idea was to be competitive this year and win more games than last year.

Salary cap hell when Caldwell came in?  Yeah you got that wrong.  We didn't have enough talent on the roster to seriously overpay.  We haven't had serious salary cap issues since 2000.

https://www.questia.com/read/1G1-6998165...ld-step-in

Look at who wrote the article.  Please notice the date February 3, 2001.  During our push to win under the waning Weaver years we didn't spend wisely but we were very far from the dire consequences of the end of the Coughlin era.

Talent remains our problem.  The team didn't do enough to study the consequences of the changes in the CBA when they "blew up" the roster.  A youth movement is great but the practice time is extremely limited and punishes teams that rinse repeat coaches and can't figure out free agency and the draft.

EDIT:

This

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/11/8/3...er-the-cap

Is accounting more than actually risking voided contracts.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 06:42 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:Salary cap hell when Caldwell came in? Yeah you got that wrong. We didn't have enough talent on the roster to seriously overpay. We haven't had serious salary cap issues since 2000.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.questia.com/read/1G1-69981652/the-consequences-of-cap-failure-nfl-would-step-in'>https://www.questia.com/read/1G1-69981652/the-consequences-of-cap-failure-nfl-would-step-in</a>

Look at who wrote the article. Please notice the date February 3, 2001. During our push to win under the waning Weaver years we didn't spend wisely but we were very far from the dire consequences of the end of the Coughlin era.

Talent remains our problem. The team didn't do enough to study the consequences of the changes in the CBA when they "blew up" the roster. A youth movement is great but the practice time is extremely limited and punishes teams that rinse repeat coaches and can't figure out free agency and the draft.

EDIT:

This
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/11/8/3617772/jaguars-salary-cap-how-is-jacksonville-17-million-over-the-cap'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/11/8/3617772/jaguars-salary-cap-how-is-jacksonville-17-million-over-the-cap</a>

Is accounting more than actually risking voided contracts.

This actually shows us over the cap

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/cap/2012/'>http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/cap/2012/</a>

Now not to be argumentative but this was also a team the went 2-14 before Caldwell came. It seemed like his approach really was the only viable thing to do to get this team to this point. Not sure I would have wanted to still see Landry and Sessions out there sucking on the field and getting paid good to do it.

The reality is that there has not been enough time to recover from that atrocity of a roster and cap management Gene created. As the season plays out we will see how much better of a situation Caldwell has us in. This team is full of youth and is ascending and opposed to that 2012 roster.

A HC that constantly thinks he's in in "learning mode" and that winning isn't all that big a deal is a problem.  The culture and mentality that he's creating is one of a kindergarten class.  One where learning and improving is good.  

Dude, anyone that has ever been in management knows you don't run a team like that... Even when you have a whole bunch of newbies, you push them to be successful...  Not be see good things.  Or to learn from mistakes.  You push and you push.

Gus came in to a rebuild and said he was all about development.  It was clear that winning wasn't important.  The problem is that this is year 3, and I really don't think he thinks winning is important.

Look at a guy like Rex Ryan.  The dude never gave excuses.  He still doesn't give excuses.  He strives for winning.  All the dang time.  That's the mentality a team has to have.

What is our mentality?  What is our philosophy?  What is our identity?

We don't have one.  Because Gus just sees this as a chance to get better.  That's great in kindergarten.  This is professional football.  The only thing that matters is winning.  And Gus doesn't have that type of attitude.  And it reflects in our play and execution on Sundays.

We're never going for the throat.  We never seem to be ready to execute perfectly.  That's because in practice there is no push for that.  Everything is about getting better.  Things should be about executing and winning.  I just don't think Gus gets it...

I challenge anyone on this board who claims "they said it was a 3 year rebuild" to google it and post it because it never happened. That's message board fodder with no basis in fact. Gus, Dave or Shad never said such a thing.

Regards...............the Chiefjag

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 07:02 PM by Pujo.)

Quote:A HC that constantly thinks he's in in "learning mode" and that winning isn't all that big a deal is a problem.  The culture and mentality that he's creating is one of a kindergarten class.  One where learning and improving is good.  

Dude, anyone that has ever been in management knows you don't run a team like that... Even when you have a whole bunch of newbies, you push them to be successful...  Not be see good things.  Or to learn from mistakes.  You push and you push.

Gus came in to a rebuild and said he was all about development.  It was clear that winning wasn't important.  The problem is that this is year 3, and I really don't think he thinks winning is important.

Look at a guy like Rex Ryan.  The dude never gave excuses.  He still doesn't give excuses.  He strives for winning.  All the dang time.  That's the mentality a team has to have.

What is our mentality?  What is our philosophy?  What is our identity?

We don't have one.  Because Gus just sees this as a chance to get better.  That's great in kindergarten.  This is professional football.  The only thing that matters is winning.  And Gus doesn't have that type of attitude.  And it reflects in our play and execution on Sundays.

We're never going for the throat.  We never seem to be ready to execute perfectly.  That's because in practice there is no push for that.  Everything is about getting better.  Things should be about executing and winning.  I just don't think Gus gets it...

Im going to preface my comments by saying that I am not a huge fan of Gus and do not think he is a great head coach. However, I think it is tough to say things like there is no push in practice or that gus doesnt care about winning. I think Gus portrays it to the media that he is always positive. That being said nobody here knows how Gus interacts with the team in the locker room. As you could see in the video from Gus yelling and screaming at his defense during his Seattle days that is on youtube, he has that mean grit to him. I think as a coach he chooses to be positive in the media so that the players can focus on playing and not worrying about them getting asked questions about Gus calling them out. 

Now this is just hopeful talk and if he is the same way behind the scenes as he is in interviews and press conferences, I can see why the team is underperforming and not playing crisply. I just dont really think its fair to make a claim about how Gus is to the players when in fact we have no way of knowing how he communicates with them. I believe he is mostly that outgoing positive person, but I can't believe he didn't rip them a new one after that embarrassing loss.

Quote:I challenge anyone on this board who claims "they said it was a 3 year rebuild" to google it and post it because it never happened. That's message board fodder with no basis in fact. Gus, Dave or Shad never said such a thing.

Regards...............the Chiefjag
No but they did say "the team is built" right before the season.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:No but they did say "the team is built" right before the season.

I think that meant with the necessary pieces to compete not win a world championship.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 07:41 PM by elprimero.)

I get that this is an overhaul and not a rebuild but talent needs to be acquired faster than this. We're 3 years in. At this pace, as our roster pans out, the players drafted three years ago will be retried/retiring and the cycle will continue.

Quote:No but they did say "the team is built" right before the season.

Built, lol. That comment still makes me laugh.

We have the talent, coaching needs to step up. If it doesn't we go hunting for a coach again. 

It's not surprising people have bought into this overhaul thing. It's overhauled because the current regime decided the pieces in place were not as talented as the pieces they were going to bring in. They overhauled it to get their guys to run their schemes so they own it. Now people want to use overhaul as an excuse for poor performance on the field when it should be used as representative of the current regime's skill at stocking and coaching a roster of players.

Regards..................the Chiefjag

Quote:I think that meant with the necessary pieces to compete not win a world championship.
The issue is the team isn't competitive right now

Quote:The issue is the team isn't competitive right now

lol, they won a game last week.

;

;

Quote:lol, they won a game last week.
Against a mess of a dolphin team.  We looked inept by Carolina and got shut out again in the second half while the patriots murdered us.  Real competitive Sick

Quote:Against a mess of a dolphin team.  We looked inept by Carolina and got shut out again in the second half while the patriots murdered us.  Real competitive Sick

Last Sunday was ugly. Against Carolina that was an 8 point game deep into the fourth quarter. It was competitive.

;

;

Quote:Last Sunday was ugly. Against Carolina that was an 8 point game deep into the fourth quarter. It was competitive.
You're missing the point. We scored 9 points. Our offensive output isn't near good enough. In a game where the other team puts up 51, you should be able to put up more than 17 because you have the ball a hell of a lot. 

This entire season is gonna be about Bortles and the offense. If the offense is clicking and can average more than 20 points per game, then we may be in business. But if that's not the case, then it's gonna be a very ugly season, and we will be lucky to win 5.

Quote:The issue is the team isn't competitive right now

This could be true but I prefer to wait until the end to know for sure. We are currently 1-2. The pats beat everyone like that. Only a few teams can even come close to beating them. We beat the Dolphins and lost the first game of the season to a 3-0 panthers team. We may be a little better than what most think but we should all agree we need more than 3 games to know where we are in this "rebuild".