Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The death of the quick slant

Do we not have the personnel to run quick slants? This is one glaring play missing from the playbook that seems like it would be extremely valuable for this young team on 1st or 2nd down.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Garrard was the master of the quick slants.

I saw a quick slant for a first down in yesterday's game.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Do we not have the personnel to run quick slants? This is one glaring play missing from the playbook that seems like it would be extremely valuable for this young team on 1st or 2nd down.
they have tried it a few times this year. Our WR outside of Lee are not quick enough.

Quote:Do we not have the personnel to run quick slants? This is one glaring play missing from the playbook that seems like it would be extremely valuable for this young team on 1st or 2nd down.

The quick slant requires timing and accuracy, something that Blake has been inconsistent at delivering (and the WR's have been inconsistent at making the clean catch and getting that YAC)

A good example is the quick slant we tried with ARob yesterday.  It was slightly behind Robinson, causing him to adjust slightly and it was a gain of 4 or something.  It always seems like a high risk/low reward pass for us.  Not sure if that's because of Blake's inaccuracy or just poor timing altogether with the receivers.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I saw a quick slant for a first down in yesterday's game.

I must have missed that. Assuming we stopped using it because it worked?

ARob scored a td on one against Miami
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Not saying we don't do it, or at least try it, but doesn't seem we use it enough and it is a play all good teams pull off repeatedly. 

Pretty risky play when you got LB's in the box crowding the passing lanes. 

Quote:Not saying we don't do it, or at least try it, but doesn't seem we use it enough and it is a play all good teams pull off repeatedly. 

Pats were loading the box to take away the run and forcing Olson/Blake to pass.  Quick slants would have been a bad idea on all of those downs - or you would have seen it more.  It has nothing to do with personnel or lack thereof. It was simply ill-advised with the LBs crowding the L.O.S. and at least one safety creeping close as well. 

Gabbert was the man on those.

We did try to run that early this year and last year with Hurns but he just drops them. \

Thats a play for the Albino Tiger but he is rarely on the field.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

after years of it being the only throw in Garrard, Gabbert, and Henne's playbook i didn't think it would be missed

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

No, we like bubble screens. You guys are kindergartners and just don't understand that they're better than quicky slanters. 

Quote:The quick slant requires timing and accuracy, something that Blake has been inconsistent at delivering (and the WR's have been inconsistent at making the clean catch and getting that YAC)

A good example is the quick slant we tried with ARob yesterday. It was slightly behind Robinson, causing him to adjust slightly and it was a gain of 4 or something. It always seems like a high risk/low reward pass for us. Not sure if that's because of Blake's inaccuracy or just poor timing altogether with the receivers.

Matt Jones had like 800 yds off those quick slants.

I wasn't using yesterday as a specific example of not using it. Just noticed it isn't a regular play in our offense. Would be a nice change of pace from running into the middle of the line for a loss of 1 on first down though.

Quote:I wasn't using yesterday as a specific example of not using it. Just noticed it isn't a regular play in our offense. Would be a nice change of pace from running into the middle of the line for a loss of 1 on first down though.
Wow bro, patience! I know that run hasn't had much success for the past eight years, but it'll work soon!

Quote:after years of it being the only throw in Garrard, Gabbert, and Henne's playbook i didn't think it would be missed

Just like I thought Garrard wouldn't be missed.

Oh how I miss the days of Del Rio and Garrard........ You know, when we were an average team.

You can keep the quick slant, I'd rather have the days back were mjd and Freddy were gashing people. We have so many average depth players, I want elite players that don't have a history of injury, just imagine if we had an elite wideout that could demand double coverages, suddenly our hurnsy and arob would be so much better.
Chicken nuggets is like my family.

For quick slant 

1) You need to have ultra quick release 

2) Has to be accurate.

Otherwise it would be a pick 6. 

Quick slant won't fit in Bortles strength. 

Brady showed us how to do it, Blake showed us we shouldn't have it in the playbook.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]