Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake through 16 starts

Bortles isn't the problem.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2015, 08:25 AM by Shack Del Rio.)

Quote:<div>
ban this person please

Quote:Seconded

</div>

Thirdeded

Quote:Bortles isn't the problem.

Not even close.

But he is in the crosshairs of some on this board who only post after losses.

His footwork and release still look "off" to me

Quote:His footwork and release still look "off" to me

I think you're right. I'm of the mindset that that's because he's still at a stage where he's (over)thinking his mechanics. The improvements he's in the process of making are obviously not second nature yet. I think we'll see this improve over the course of the season...assuming he doesn't get assassinated by some irate/irrational fan before then.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:I think you're right. I'm of the mindset that that's because he's still at a stage where he's (over)thinking his mechanics. The improvements he's in the process of making are obviously not second nature yet. I think we'll see this improve over the course of the season...assuming he doesn't get assassinated by some irate/irrational fan before then.

Someone with such huge flaws in the most foundational parts of playing quarterback shouldn't have been drafted 3rd overall.

Sounds like a 3rd round project. I know he would've gone in the 1st round regardless because QBs are way over drafted, but it's very concerning.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Who's to say he did? How do we know the plays weren't called perfectly fine and Blake and the team around him just didn't execute well?

Really? The team is so unprepared compared to other teams and Bradley is out coached 8 out of 10 games.

Quote:Didn't say we don't, I'm saying he was terrible. Inconsistent QB play isn't going to win you games. The guy needs to STOP doing that crap.
So... we lost because of Bortles' play?

Just want to make sure that the Pats put up 50+ on our defense because of Blake's poor play.

Bortles could have been lights out yesterday, and we still lose...

Quote:Tony Romo: 1st year starting: qb rating of 95, 19 TDs to 13 INTs, 2nd year 36TDs to 19 INTS

Aaron Rodgers: 1st year starting: qb rating 106, 28TDs to 13 INTs

Ben Roethlisberger: 1st year starting (rookie): qb rating 98.1, 17 TDs to 11 INTs

Peyton Manning (although we could argue he belongs to a different generation) as rookie: QB rating of 71, 26TDs to 28 INTs

Tom Brady: 1st year playing (after Bledsoe injury) qb rating of 87, 18 TDs to 12 INTs

Drew Brees: QB rating of 77, 17 TDs to 16 INTs, 

Andrew Luck: QB rating of 77, 23 TDs to 17 INTs

Russell Wilson: QB rating of 100 as rookie, 26TDs to 10 INTs

Phillip Rivers: 1st year starting (3rd year): QB rating of 92, 22 TDS, 9 INTs

Ryan Tannehill: rookie year: QB rating of 76, 12 TDs, 13 INTs

Matt Ryan: qb rating of 88, 17 TDs, 11 INTs

Andy Dalton:  rookie QB rating of 80, 20 TDs 13 INTs

Cam Newton: rookie QB rating of 85, 21 TDs, 14 INts (also rushed for 14 TDs)

Eli Manning: started 7 games as rookie, QB rating of 55 - next season started 16 games, qb rating 76 with 24 TDs and 17 INTs
Interesting you would include guys like Romo, Rodgers, Rivers, and Brady who got to sit at least a year to compare to Bortles.

Neither Peyton Manning nor Eli manning could have what anyone would consider a consistent rookie year despite having a father who played QB in the NFL to groom them to be QBs.

Brees did not reach anything close to consistent play until his 4th season.

If you examined Brady's numbers from his first year as a starter and compared them to his numbers in all of his subsequent years, you'd find his first year numbers are the worst (in terms of TD-INT) in his career (absent the year he got hurt in game one and missed the year).  Same with Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck.  Phillip Rivers tended to get better over time, too (having the luxury of Norv Turner as OC, LaDanian Tomlinson at RB, and Antonio Gates at TE), as did Big Ben.  Andy Dalton showed more production from year 1 to year 2 and 3 before regressing last year.

Just about all of these guys were less productive in their first year as a starter than they were in just about all of their subsequent seasons.

Keep in mind, many of these guys got to sit anywhere from a year to three before starting.

Bortles sat, what, three games and played on a woefully inexperienced and undermanned squad.

Keep in mind, in your conclusion, you said you wanted to see improvement from Bortles.

As it stands now, that's exactly what you are getting.

Bortles threw 11 TDs and 18 INTs last year and was sacked 55 times.

This year, Bortles is on pace to throw-if my math is correct-26 TDs and 16 INTs, and sacked 37 times.

This year, Bortles' TD percentage, INT percentage, yards per attempt and rating are all improved.

He had a bad game against a team everybody predicted we'd lose.

He's had exactly 16 games starting. 

Give the guy a chance.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Someone with such huge flaws in the most foundational parts of playing quarterback shouldn't have been drafted 3rd overall.

Sounds like a 3rd round project. I know he would've gone in the 1st round regardless because QBs are way over drafted, but it's very concerning.
So was McNair worth the 3rd overall pick in 1995?

Quote:Wanna talk about Carr? No? Thought so. Lets talk about one INT that Bridgewater threw back in Week 1 - as if that matters hahahaha...

I've seen Blake for 16 games now and its been the same story. Turnover machine with a ton of potential, but not correcting the decisions at crucial moments in the game. It's okay, ignore it and just talk to me about Bridgewater - as if I actually cared about him.
If you want to talk Carr, let's talk Cooper and Crabtree.

Quote:Someone with such huge flaws in the most foundational parts of playing quarterback shouldn't have been drafted 3rd overall.

Aren't you one of the guys that wanted Bridgewater at 3 when we drafted Bortles?

Quote:So was McNair worth the 3rd overall pick in 1995?

Nope. And for the record in the Jags case, everyone we draft is not worthy of their selection. And everyone that other teams draft should have obviously been our picks.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Aren't you one of the guys that wanted Bridgewater at 3 when we drafted Bortles?

That one touchdown he has this year was really good

Quote:Nope. And for the record in the Jags case, everyone we draft is not worthy of their selection. And everyone that other teams draft should have obviously been our picks.
I call male bovine excrement on the idea McNair was not worth the 3rd overall pick in 1995 when he got the Tacks to the Super Bowl and won a co MVP.  That's just about exactly what you want out of a QB.

You can't tell me you wouldn't be thrilled if Bortles replicated Mcnair's accomplishments.

Quote:I call male bovine excrement on the idea McNair was not worth the 3rd overall pick in 1995 when he got the Tacks to the Super Bowl and won a co MVP.  That's just about exactly what you want out of a QB.

You can't tell me you wouldn't be thrilled if Bortles replicated Mcnair's accomplishments.
Great point Bullseye not to mention he beat the Jags 3 times in 99 and one a MVP something I can guarantee Bortles will never do 

Quote:Great point Bullseye not to mention he beat the Jags 3 times in 99 and one a MVP something I can guarantee Bortles will never do 
Thanks for the kudos, but I'm not going that far about Bortles never winning an MVP.

It's too early to say.

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2015, 12:30 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Quote:That one touchdown he has this year was really good
Yeah, the 2 Ints he threw was just lucky defense.  The 170 yrds a game average though is just because he has been toying around with the defense.  Wait till he gets serious.

Blake is still learning.  My God people lol.  He has shown progress and still makes some boneheaded decisions at times.  All im saying is that, if you were a starting QB in this league, nevermind, i forgot we have coaches on here.  Ok coaches, what qb in this league that isn't an elite veteran doesn't still make stupid decisions at times?  Which QB, learning his second new system in his sophomore year, would be having better success right now on this team, with this roster? Injuries included.  I would love to hear these opinions and felt the need to post this after reading SuperJville's list of QB's.  

Besides Cam, Tannehill, and Eli at times, everyone else on that list is above average to elite with, or have had in the past, dangerous weapons on offense.  Even the three i mentioned have had weapons.  Bortles has huge upside and im proud to call him my QB, for now at least, and don't see any reason to throw him under the bus.  Bradley is more 50/50 and unless i know or hear of a coach wanting to come here, i wont pass harsh judgement on him too much.  Plus he's learning the whole control everything gig with the, its always your fault when we lose fan mantra. 

Carr, Teddy, and Johnny are all struggling at times.  Carr is only looking better with new weapons but i guess if Bortles had Cooper to play with, he'd still be garbage to some.  We might as well include Mack on that topic as well although he plays defense, just sayin'.  Take some meds or go see your primary because some of you need either a medical solution or some at home attention. 

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

Quote:I call male bovine excrement on the idea McNair was not worth the 3rd overall pick in 1995 when he got the Tacks to the Super Bowl and won a co MVP. That's just about exactly what you want out of a QB.

Oh I'm with you. I was just being sarcastic, as I'd expect to see some real answers like that.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS