Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
John Boehner resigning from Congress

WASHINGTON — In a shocking announcement, John Boehner told his GOP colleagues he will step down as House speaker and resign his Ohio congressional seat on Oct. 30.

The speaker had planned to serve only through the end of last year. But he changed his plans after former congressman. Eric Cantor, then Boehner's deputy, lost in a primary in one of the biggest upsets of the 2014 cycle. That changed Boehner's calculation.

Boehner has served as speaker since the Republicans took control of the House of Representatives following the 2010 midterm elections.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/polit.../72793398/

;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Great!

Correct me if I am wrong here but it sounds like he intends to buck the furvor to shut down the government again over PP and is basically falling on his sword since he won't survive the fallout from the very right in his party.

One Less R.I.N.O.

You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Quote:Correct me if I am wrong here but it sounds like he intends to buck the furvor to shut down the government again over PP and is basically falling on his sword since he won't survive the fallout from the very right in his party.

Pretty much

;

;

Quote:Pretty much

I mean as much as the red faced screaming base wants a shut down thinking it gets them something (though I still don't know what) he sees how badly it will effect the party as a whole and the rest don't care. It's a reasonable stance from a purely political point of view. The problem is reasonable is not what the modern GOP is.

Quote:I mean as much as the red faced screaming base wants a shut down thinking it gets them something (though I still don't know what) he sees how badly it will effect the party as a whole and the rest don't care. It's a reasonable stance from a purely political point of view. The problem is reasonable is not what the modern GOP is.

You mean they won't cave in to the Democrats
demands anymore. We're tired of R.I.N.O.'s

You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Quote:You mean they won't cave in to the Democrats
demands anymore. We're tired of R.I.N.O.'s

I love how The Drifter talks just like my dad. He is the hero of the Politics forum.

Quote:I love how The Drifter talks just like my dad. He is the hero of the Politics forum.

If fear and hatemongering is your thing drifter is your shock jock of choice that's for sure.

Quote:If fear and hatemongering is your thing drifter is your shock jock of choice that's for sure.

He reminds me of my father in law's brother. The one nobody wants to be around.

;

;

Kevin McCarthy may take his spot.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/...w-speaker/

Replace one dingus with another.

Quote:I mean as much as the red faced screaming base wants a shut down thinking it gets them something (though I still don't know what) he sees how badly it will effect the party as a whole and the rest don't care. It's a reasonable stance from a purely political point of view. The problem is reasonable is not what the modern GOP is.

The screaming base wants to defund what they view as a death mill, not shut down the government. It would be Obama who would shut down the government merely in order to keep PP funding.

The term "shut down the government" is a huge exaggeration, and you're bigger than that Boudreau. None of the entitlements are stopped and they constitute a large percentage of the [non- interest on the debt] budget. Besides that, any program deemed critical keeps going. Only non-critical programs are shut down.

Last time, Obama and Reid chose to screw over the peons by shutting down national parks, which was the only non-critical program anyone missed. The House passed a bill continuing funding for the parks, but Reid wouldn't allow it to come up for a vote in the Senate.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 09-25-2015, 12:25 PM by boudreaumw.)

Quote:The screaming base wants to defund what they view as a death mill, not shut down the government. It would be Obama who would shut down the government merely in order to keep PP funding.

The term "shut down the government" is a huge exaggeration, and you're bigger than that Boudreau. None of the entitlements are stopped and they constitute a large percentage of the [non- interest on the debt] budget. Besides that, any program deemed critical keeps going. Only non-critical programs are shut down.

Last time, Obama and Reid chose to screw over the peons by shutting down national parks, which was the only non-critical program anyone missed. The House passed a bill continuing funding for the parks, but Reid wouldn't allow it to come up for a vote in the Senate.
Perspective is everything. If the goal was actually what they have convinced you it is they could gobafyer legislation banning abortions or fetal harvesting but that is not what they are doing. They are trying to shut the whole thing down without a care for the people losing the services that is the vast majority of what the operation does. The GOP created a fresh wedge issue and you guys bought it. It's as simple as that.

Quote:Perspective is everything. If the goal was actually what they have convinced you it is they could gobafyer legislation banning abortions or fetal harvesting but that is not what they are doing. They are trying to shut the whole thing down without a care for the people losing the services that is the vast majority of what the operation does. The GOP created a fresh wedge issue and you guys bought it. It's as simple as that.

I never said who you called "the red faced screaming base" weren't trying to shut PP down. But the bill would, at most, cut government funding from PP. They have lots of other sources of income. People shouldn't be forced to pay for what they view as baby killing.
 Heck, have the left take up donations to replace taxpayer funding. Tom Steyer alone could do that.

What I said was that a government shutdown in order to preserve PP funding would be at the hands of Obama (or the Dems in the Senate if they blocked passage of the spending bill before it reached Obama). Refusing to sign a bill just because it doesn't include spending on every last program he wants puts the government 'shutdown' on Obama. Trying to blame a shutdown on the group that actually passed a bill that extends government spending is deceitful.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Slava Bogu!

That means: "Thank God" in Russian.

Hilarious campaign ad from a Boehner opponent in the last primary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A8kq85U...e=youtu.be

Quote:Kevin McCarthy may take his spot.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/...w-speaker/

Replace one dingus with another.

[Image: Boehner-Cry-Face.jpg]

;

;

Good.  One less establishment politician.  I only wish that the list would grow some more from both sides.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Good.  One less establishment politician.  I only wish that the list would grow some more from both sides.

Well, we all know that the backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town.

What is a non-establishment politician? Once you get elected aren't you then part of the establishment. Or do you mean some businessman, like Trump? We know all businessmen have higher ethics than politicians.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Well, we all know that the backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town.

What is a non-establishment politician? Once you get elected aren't you then part of the establishment. Or do you mean some businessman, like Trump? We know all businessmen have higher ethics than politicians.

An establishment politician is typically a career politician.  It is one that votes along party lines rather than voting the way that his/her constituents prefer.

A non-establishment politician will vote according to The Constitution, and what his/her constituents prefer. 

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.