Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
John Boehner resigning from Congress

Looks like Boehner may be sticking around for a while.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Looks like Boehner may be sticking around for a while.
Long enough to convince Ryan to take the gig is what it sounds like.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015, 08:02 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:Long enough to convince Ryan to take the gig is what it sounds like.

From what I understand the reason he is avoiding the gig is because he wants to run for president in the future, and having to make tough decisions as the speaker could damage his future chances.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015, 08:07 PM by boudreaumw.)

Quote:From what I understand the reason he is avoiding the gig is because he wants to run for president in the future, and having to make tough decisions as the speaker could damage his future chances.
Oh for sure. If he was able to wrangle in the various factions there right now it would all but assure him the nomination when he does run. If he can't then it would likely sink any bid ahead of time. I am not sure what I would do if I were in his position.

It is a huge shame, IMO, that someone with aspirations like running for president has to actually consider turning down such a powerful position because of how it might effect a future run. 

I know the conservative wing of the Republican party wants a more conservative nominee but the chances of that person getting elected are slim. Because any Republican nominee of a divided party needs votes from the Democrats. 

And the circular firing squad expands

Blakes Life Matters

So glad that the Establishment R's are being shaken up by the real conservatives in the GOP

Quote:So glad that the Establishment R's are being shaken up by the real conservatives in the GOP
Meanwhile, the Democrats are laughing all the way to the bank at how fractured and divided the Republican Party is. The more this plays out, the more convinced I am that the Democrats could run Adolf Hitler's ghost in 2016 and still win the election. No Republican candidate that could muster enough moderate support to carry the general election will be able to survive the primaries.

Quote:Meanwhile, the Democrats are laughing all the way to the bank at how fractured and divided the Republican Party is. The more this plays out, the more convinced I am that the Democrats could run Adolf Hitler's ghost in 2016 and still win the election. No Republican candidate that could muster enough moderate support to carry the general election will be able to survive the primaries.
Is Adolf's ghost more electable then Bernie?

Quote:Is Adolf's ghost more electable then Bernie?
He would certainly have more appeal to the far right than Sanders does.

Quote:Is Adolf's ghost more electable then Bernie?

More than Ted Cruz and Ben Carson for sure.

Quote:More than Ted Cruz and Ben Carson for sure.
Cruz's problem is that he makes Archie Bunker look moderate. Carson's problem is that he might be the smartest man in America, but he has all the political acumen, tact and common sense of a grease fire. I wouldn't equate either one to Hitler, though. Hitler was evil. Those two are just...special.

Quote:Cruz's problem is that he makes Archie Bunker look moderate. Carson's problem is that he might be the smartest man in America, but he has all the political acumen, tact and common sense of a grease fire. I wouldn't equate either one to Hitler, though. Hitler was evil. Those two are just...special.

To some on here that makes you a bigot. Your not wrong though.

Quote:From what I understand the reason he is avoiding the gig is because he wants to run for president in the future, and having to make tough decisions as the speaker could damage his future chances.

There's also a very good chance that he just doesn't think the job is very attractive.   He would have 50 people who are sick of compromise and want to shut down the government, and the rest of them are willing to compromise to get part of what they want rather than none of what they want.   

Every Republican ran on the promise of ending Obamacare and defunding Planned Parenthood, and Ryan might be avoiding the speakership because he KNOWS that there is no way they can fulfill those promises and when he inevitably fails, he will also be faced with the kind of revolt that drove Boehner out of office. 

Who would want such a job?  

Quote:There's also a very good chance that he just doesn't think the job is very attractive.   He would have 50 people who are sick of compromise and want to shut down the government, and the rest of them are willing to compromise to get part of what they want rather than none of what they want.   

Every Republican ran on the promise of ending Obamacare and defunding Planned Parenthood, and Ryan might be avoiding the speakership because he KNOWS that there is no way they can fulfill those promises and when he inevitably fails, he will also be faced with the kind of revolt that drove Boehner out of office. 

Who would want such a job?  

All you need to know about establishment Republicans is that Democrats agree with everything they are doing. It's a superparty in the House about to elect a Democrat-selected Speaker according to none other than Charlie Dent himself. There is no opposition party to the representatives of bigger government.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:All you need to know about establishment Republicans is that Democrats agree with everything they are doing. It's a superparty in the House about to elect a Democrat-selected Speaker according to none other than Charlie Dent himself. There is no opposition party to the representatives of bigger government.
Stop electing incompetent people that run on pure rhetoric and fear mongering just because they claim they are "conservative"

Quote:Stop electing incompetent people that run on pure rhetoric and fear mongering just because they claim they are "conservative"

Every politician runs on pure rhetoric and fear mongering, whether they claim to be conservative, moderate, or progressive.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

This is really exciting. For 7 years I have been hearing Republicans talk about creating jobs, but it has been a seemingly mythical quest for them (or just a bunch of rhetoric). Now they have finally created a job. And it's one nobody seems to want to fill.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Hall of fame for worst kotite post

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2015, 07:57 PM by Kotite.)

Really? I remember the million attempts to repeal Obamacare, the Benghazi witch hunt, the Hillary email investigations and the countless public finger wagging investigations led by Darrell Issa which never led to a single charge being laid on anyone ever, but for all the hard talk on jobs, I can't seem to recall them ever doing anything but complaining about it.
Only a chump boos the home team!