Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
TJ Yeldon grading out well

He's the 3rd highest rated RB through 2 weeks in PFF's rankings, grading out well in both rushing and pass pro. I hope we start using him more in the passing game as the season goes on.

[Image: Q1ulkhG.png]

He's also the second highest rated rookie behind Vic Beasley.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20...ng-week-3/

I feel like PFF's grade on his rushing is correct  even though he hasn't had a big game he's been creating a lot of yards in spite of the  O-Line. If we could get some more holes opened for him I think he's primed for a 100+ yard rushing game. I've also noticed he's very good in pass pro. I've seen him stone wall a lot of blitzes and free rushers. That's very rare for a rookie to be as good in pass pro as he is.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Matt Jones didn't even make the top 36 rbs. Ameer Abdullah just made it at #36, and Duke Johnson just edges him out at #34.

Looking at other rookie RBs, Melvin Gordon is up there at #19. David Johnson is set to start for the Cards this week, but he didn't make this list. Tevin Coleman didn't make the list either although he's now out indefinitely with fractures ribs, and Todd Gurley has yet to play this season with a knee injury, although he might make his debut this week. Jay Ajayi is on the Dolphins IR with a designation to return after cracking a rib in the preseason.

'02

How nice it would be to have Vic Beasley playing for this team right now.

I think Yeldon has put in good work, but there's no way his PFF rankings reflect what my eyes tell me. Hes on track, but has a ways to go. 3.3 yds per carry doesn't cut it, but he'll continue to get better as he goes along I think.

Haven't you heard? these rankings are useless

Quote:How nice it would be to have Vic Beasley playing for this team right now.

I think Yeldon has put in good work, but there's no way his PFF rankings reflect what my eyes tell me. Hes on track, but has a ways to go. 3.3 yds per carry doesn't cut it, but he'll continue to get better as he goes along I think.

Did you not see these rankings tho? He's doing better than Matt Jones.  :yes: 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-red...highlights

'02

Quote:Haven't you heard? these rankings are useless

Glad you finally agree.

Quote:Haven't you heard? these rankings are useless

Only when they disagree with what I think. Get with the program. 

Take them with a grain of salt, but like seeing his blocking rating so high.

Beasly hasnt been that good. Fowler will be better

That has a lot more to do with the offensive line than him. He had 2.8ypc this week because he was constantly hit in the backfield. This sounds like the comment of someone who doesn't watch the games.

Matt Jones did make the top 36, he's right at 36. For those confused why Yeldon ranks out better, it's because PFF's rankings take into account overall play, how well a back picks up yards on their own, elusiveness, pass protection, etc. They don't give a lot of points just because a back had a couple long runs because of good offensive line blocking but was porous all around. What PFF's rankings is saying is that 1) Yeldon has been one of the best backs in pass pro through the first 2 weeks in the league and 2) Yeldon's elusiveness and ability to create yards on his own has been more impressive than the performances of guys like Matt Jones, Tevin Coleman, etc who have had better blocking. Extrapolating, you could say that if Yeldon had the run blocking some of these other backs had he would have had a 100 yard rushing game by now.

PFF's grading system, as they say, is concerned with how a player does on a play, not the result of a play. So if TJ Yeldon is given a run with no holes and is almost hit in the backfield but slips out of the tackle and creates 4+ yards on his own (as he did several times on Sunday) then that is graded higher than a run by Matt Jones where all the work was done by the offensive line and he had a massive hole to go through. By the same token, if TJ Yeldon is hit in the backfield or only gets 2-3 yards because the offensive line did a poor job of run blocking then that does not count against Yeldon, it counts against the blockers. Despite Matt Jones' huge yardage he had a slightly negative grade for his runs against the Rams. That tells me that they're saying 1) the offensive line did most of the work in Matt Jones huge runs and/or 2) Matt Jones had a couple huge runs but did not do a good job overall of finding holes.
"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Or Dante Fowler Jr.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:Or Dante Fowler Jr.
exactly

Im glad hes ranking pretty high. I do hope to see a lot more out of him once he gets more playing time as well.

He'll only get better as the season goes on. We've played against two very solid defenses so far and still produced good numbers.

I do have high hopes for Fowler; I hate to sound like an Alfie apologist (I still say he's a bearded whale posing as an insurance salesman), but I originally wanted Beasley in teal. No biggie.

As for Yeldon, I think he's done about as well as we can expect for a rookie RB playing in his first 2 games behind an O-line that needs more time to completely gel (they're leaps and bounds better than last year). He didn't fumble, plays well in the pass game, and shows great instincts. His vision is better than what he's shown in the first 2 games; he's not there yet, but he's played well given the circumstances and should develop quite nicely if all goes well.

This why I liked the Yeldon pick. He's an all downs back. We needed a back that was multi-skilled.
No commercial messages in sigs

He ran great. It's a shame the o-line got its butt kicked when it came to run blocking.

What's not to like? Don't want to jinx it, but he kind of reminds me of LT.

Quote:He ran great. It's a shame the o-line got its butt kicked when it came to run blocking.
The Dolphins have a very good run defense. We were killing the Panthers with the run game, but for some reason we didn't keep going with it. 

I want to see just a few plays where he gets to the second level untouched with space to make a move. I think he's gonna make us laugh with what he does to LB's and safeties.

"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"