Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cubs Fans....

...savor this. As an "old" man who's been watching this team play since 1978, this is, by far, the best Cubs team since 1969. They've got current and future All-Stars throughout the lineup. Their pitching is not great but it's pretty good.

If this team doesn't win a World Series in the next five years, I'll be shocked. In fact, if they don't win multiple WS, I'll be surprised. These guys are the Dallas Cowboys of the early 90s. You can see it coming and it's beautiful to watch.

The Cubs and Blue Jays are the two teams that nobody wants to play in the postseason this year. They might not do it this year but a WS is coming soon Cubs fans, don't you worry. These guys are scary good.
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Back in the off-season,  I expressed high long term optimism for the Cubs.   They are somewhat having an even better 2015 season than I thought:

http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top...ntry429524

One thing for sure,  I wouldn't want to face the Cubs in a one game playoff this season with Jake Arrieta pitching. 

The Cubs will win the WS this year, Back to the Future even predicted it. This is not even a fantasy anymore. This just goes to show that any team, no matter how bad or terrible, can change its fortunes. I'm sure the Jags will be in another superbowl discussion someday too. The key thing to remember as fans is: Patience.

Quote:...savor this. As an "old" man who's been watching this team play since 1978, this is, by far, the best Cubs team since 1969. They've got current and future All-Stars throughout the lineup. Their pitching is not great but it's pretty good.

If this team doesn't win a World Series in the next five years, I'll be shocked. In fact, if they don't win multiple WS, I'll be surprised. These guys are the Dallas Cowboys of the early 90s. You can see it coming and it's beautiful to watch.

The Cubs and Blue Jays are the two teams that nobody wants to play in the postseason this year. They might not do it this year but a WS is coming soon Cubs fans, don't you worry. These guys are scary good.

The same things were said about the Cleveland Indians in 1995

;

;

Quote:The same things were said about the Cleveland Indians in 1995

Time will tell.

That one game playoff against Pittsburgh is going to be fun to watch.

Quote:That one game playoff against Pittsburgh is going to be fun to watch.
It will be fun, but as a Pirates fan I don't like it. Baseball is a game of series. Last year we get in the wild card and play one game against Baumgarner who was last year's big stud. This year it'd be Arrieta. Make it a 3 game series, at least.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

I think it eventually will be. All games at the park of the team with the better record. Make it a Friday to Sunday.

Quote:I think it eventually will be. All games at the park of the team with the better record. Make it a Friday to Sunday.
Yea that'd be nice. I hope you are right.

;

The wild card format is a bit strange but I'm glad they expanded it. The Cards, Pirates and Cubs have three of the four best records in baseball but under the old format, one of them would miss the playoffs completely which isn't fair.

I think they should lop off about 20 games in the regular season and add teams to the playoff system. Then in September people might actually be talking about MLB instead of the NFL season beginning. Once football starts, baseball fades into the backdrop of the sports landscape. That might be a way to generate more attention and excitement to the game by starting the playoffs in early September and expanding the field.

Quote:..

The Cubs and Blue Jays are the two teams that nobody wants to play in the postseason this year.

Don't flatter yourself.  It's not like the Cards, Dodgers, and Pirates don't have great pitching staffs and decent hitting.

I'd much rather face the Cubs in a 7 game series then to face the Dodgers or Cards

Quote:The wild card format is a bit strange but I'm glad they expanded it. The Cards, Pirates and Cubs have three of the four best records in baseball but under the old format, one of them would miss the playoffs completely which isn't fair.

I think they should lop off about 20 games in the regular season and add teams to the playoff system. Then in September people might actually be talking about MLB instead of the NFL season beginning. Once football starts, baseball fades into the backdrop of the sports landscape. That might be a way to generate more attention and excitement to the game by starting the playoffs in early September and expanding the field.
It's a double edged sword I think. I like the Wild card in baseball, but I personally wouldn't want to see it expanded further. The playoffs need to be earned, it needs to be a big accomplishment. Right now, in basebal it is.

Look at the NBA and NHL. They have evolved to where over half the league makes it. It's a joke. The NFL is looking to potentially expand teams in. Next expansion would probably be half the league in. It's ridiculous.

;

Quote:Don't flatter yourself.  It's not like the Cards, Dodgers, and Pirates don't have great pitching staffs and decent hitting.

I'd much rather face the Cubs in a 7 game series then to face the Dodgers or Cards
Same here.

;

Quote:Don't flatter yourself.  It's not like the Cards, Dodgers, and Pirates don't have great pitching staffs and decent hitting.

I am interested to see if Kershaw flames out in the playoffs again.

Oh for crying out loud, I'm a lifelong Cubs fan. Would it kill you to just acknowledge the Cubs are getting better and let me be excited about something for once? I pull for the Cubs, Jags and Purdue. Throw me a frickin' bone here and humor me.

Quote:Oh for crying out loud, I'm a lifelong Cubs fan. Would it kill you to just acknowledge the Cubs are getting better and let me be excited about something for once? I pull for the Cubs, Jags and Purdue. Throw me a frickin' bone here and humor me.

I'm a Pirates fan, you don't have much of an argument with me.

Quote:I'm a Pirates fan, you don't have much of an argument with me.

I certainly can relate to the Cubs situation from a Lions fan perspective.   Any signs of hope are magnified but deep down the past is always in the back of your mind.

Being that the Giants and Royals were both wildcards last season but still got to the World Series,   every team that makes the baseball playoffs has a realistic chance at winning the World Series.   The baseball playoffs are much more like a sprint than a marathon.   The best team often doesn't win the World Series.   

I'm a Life Long Baltimore Orioles fan but........

If they're not in it, my DREAM world Series is The Cubs and The White Sox

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

I am not a Cubs fan per se. But I do generally root for them. As a kid, I used to run home from school so I could watch the Cubs on WGN. I loved watching Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Shawon Dunston and their team around 1987-1990. That was when Don Zimmer was their manager and Harry Carey's heydey. For the most part, they have been pretty mediocre since then.

Glad to see them finally bringing up some young talent and succeeding. 

Stunning to think that it has been so long since they won a World Series that nobody living on this earth has a memory of them winning.

;

;

Quote:I am not a Cubs fan per se. But I do generally root for them. As a kid, I used to run home from school so I could watch the Cubs on WGN. I loved watching Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Shawon Dunston and their team around 1987-1990. That was when Don Zimmer was their manager and Harry Carey's heydey. For the most part, they have been pretty mediocre since then.

Glad to see them finally bringing up some young talent and succeeding. 

Stunning to think that it has been so long since they won a World Series that nobody living on this earth has a memory of them winning.

I id the same thing as a kid. I can even remember when it was a huge deal for the team to play a night game at Wrigley.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!