Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Intresting point by ESPN on possibly franchising Prince Amukamara

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Bar...-offseason

"The Jags don't have much at cornerback after Ramsey and Amukamara if they release House, and while they can address the position by adding a different free agent or hitting it during the draft, they certainly have the cap space to retain Amukamara. In fact, given that the Jags would have $81 million in space after making those releases, it wouldn't be out of the question for Jacksonville to franchise Amukamara at the $14.3 million figure as leverage to negotiate a longer-term deal. "

Yea if we really want to keep Prince and we cant work out a deal, placing the franchise tag on him would be a good option, like they said we have the cap room, and it gives us more time to get a deal done. We cant go around creating more holes on the team, Prince was a very solid addition to the defense.

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017, 02:41 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

I agree. Franchise Prince. Or at least Transition. Two first rounders can draft another corner.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

IMO, you don't get ahead by franchising a middle of the line CB. 

Quote:http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Bar...-offseason

"The Jags don't have much at cornerback after Ramsey and Amukamara if they release House, and while they can address the position by adding a different free agent or hitting it during the draft, they certainly have the cap space to retain Amukamara. In fact, given that the Jags would have $81 million in space after making those releases, it wouldn't be out of the question for Jacksonville to franchise Amukamara at the $14.3 million figure as leverage to negotiate a longer-term deal. "

Yea if we really want to keep Prince and we cant work out a deal, placing the franchise tag on him would be a good option, like they said we have the cap room, and it gives us more time to get a deal done. We cant go around creating more holes on the team, Prince was a very solid addition to the defense.

Colvin says hello!

He is no Ramsey but if he was to man that side at all times, I'm sure he would adjust and play well.

Prince played well but was abused at times too, from QB's staying away from Ramsey. Prince already knew they were going to go his way and still got toasted. Prince is just above average to me and it was a prove it contract year for him so if he played his best, do we continue to get his best when given a contract in 2017?

LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017, 03:12 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:IMO, you don't get ahead by franchising a middle of the line CB. 

If it means retaining your starting CB, I don't see how you could find anything to complain about the move.

If he's not there, who's your starter?

If you want to say Colvin, then who's nickel?

CB is certainly a need on the team, even if we keep Prince.  We need youth on the depth chart pushing for that starting job opposite Ramsey.  Further handicapping the position by letting a starter go certainly isn't forward thinking.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

In your opinion what would be a good use of the franchise tag?

I wouldn't mind us tagging Prince and drafting a CB in the second or third round, that would give the rookie some time to learn.

Quote:Colvin says hello!

He is no Ramsey but if he was to man that side at all times, I'm sure he would adjust and play well.

Prince played well but was abused at times too, from QB's staying away from Ramsey. Prince already knew they were going to go his way and still got toasted. Prince is just above average to me and it was a prove it contract year for him so if he played his best, do we continue to get his best when given a contract in 2017?
Well he said we dont have much after Ramsey, which is only Colvin and nobody else with experience, it would leave a huge hole at CB

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:If it means retaining your starting CB, I don't see how you could find anything to complain about the move.

If he's not there, who's your starter?

If you want to say Colvin, then who's nickel?

CB is certainly a need on the team, even if we keep Prince. We need youth on the depth chart pushing for that starting job opposite Ramsey. Further handicapping the position by letting a starter go certainly isn't forward thinking.

I am in agreement with you here for sure but there are some experts on this board that would complain about spending too much when we could do blah blah blah.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Something I haven't seen discussed much is the potential for Colvin to play outside corner if Prince goes. He prefers playing outside as I'm sure most corners do and was very good at it in college. Personally feel his skillset is best used inside but its perhaps something to look at if Prince goes.

Prince is nowhere near the value of the franchise tag imo. Not even close, especially considering there's guys better than him on the FA market and there's supposedly a "deep crop" of secondary talent in this year's draft.

Now, if you plan on signing Stephon Gilmore, drafting Marshon Lattimore, and then franchising Prince for good measure, count me the frig in. But I don't like the idea of franchising Amuky because we can't replace him. That's rubbish.

Give Amukamara, a mediocre non-playmaking #2 CB, a franchise tag worth about $14m?  ...no way.

Aside from the draft, there is a long list of free agent CBs that will do an adequate job, similarly to Prince, without having to overpay to the degree of a franchise tag amount. 

Quote:Prince is nowhere near the value of the franchise tag imo. Not even close, especially considering there's guys better than him on the FA market and there's supposedly a "deep crop" of secondary talent in this year's draft.

Now, if you plan on signing Stephon Gilmore, drafting Marshon Lattimore, and then franchising Prince for good measure, count me the frig in. But I don't like the idea of franchising Amuky because we can't replace him. That's rubbish.

I like the idea of tag and replace.

If we're drafting a safety, RB, or TE high, perhaps a DT or DE...

When is this starting caliber CB added?

I'd rather have our starters from last year, along with whoever, whenever CB is added.  You don't pressure yourself into making a forced pick because you left yourself in a bind by leaving a hole in the roster, expecting the draft to take care of it.

Let's not pretend a "deep draft" means snap your fingers at whatever draft position you choose and you've got a starter.

I hope the Jags go after Trumaine Johnson, he is better than Prince.
"it's only smellz"

- Rocco Siffredi

It's not about the money.

It's about putting the best team on the field and putting the roster in the best position in the long run.

If the rookie earns the starting job by the end of the season, the tag year could be his final year.

If not and Prince continues to play well, then you still only paid big money one year.  You can still walk away if you don't come to terms.

There's really zero to lose by tagging him.  He wouldn't be taking any money from anyone, wouldn't change free agency, and wouldn't change the draft.

I simply can't see any negative in this.

I would not franchise him unless he was worth at least 12-14 mill a year. He could very well be happy with a 1 year 14.3 million salary and walk next year. The draft has many CBs and so does free agency, I don't think it would be hard to replace him if we can't resign him. 

We dont need him .. We still have Colvin ... No way in hell u pay this avg Cb that much money or franchise tag him . He is not a franchise player..

Quote:We dont need him .. We still have Colvin ... No way in hell u pay this avg Cb that much money or franchise tag him . He is not a franchise player..

Riveting, in-depth discussion as usual.

Who's your nickel in that case?

Who's Colvin's backup?

Who's Ramsey's backup?

Quote:In your opinion what would be a good use of the franchise tag?

I wouldn't mind us tagging Prince and drafting a CB in the second or third round, that would give the rookie some time to learn.

Welcome to the Jungle!

A good use of the franchise tag will come next year with either Brandon Linder or Telvin Smith. This year I don't see any pending UFA who should get tagged.

There's gonna be a really good corner sitting there for our second round pick.

I'd rather go that route than tag Amukamara.

Quote:Riveting, in-depth discussion as usual.

Who's your nickel in that case?

Who's Colvin's backup?

Who's Ramsey's backup?

Nickel :Josh Johnson

Colvin backup : Josh Johnson, rookie, another fa cb..

Ramsey backupBig Grinavon House, rookie, fa cb..

Its really not much to discuss... Common sense can basically tell you, not to overpay for a guy who gives avg production...