Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Intresting point by ESPN on possibly franchising Prince Amukamara

Quote:Even if there were... Tagging Prince @ 14mil this season wouldn't prevent us throwing a huge contract... or 2... or 3... if we wanted to.

I just don't understand why people CARE if Prince gets $14mil for one year with the Tag. It's not like it's your money. It's not like the team is up against the cap. It's not like we are tight on funds.

Tagging Prince does NOTHING to hinder this team. It simply provides an option at CB this year.

Sure, a 4 year deal on the cheap would be great. Maybe he doesn't want to sign a cheap 4 year deal. It's not like we can force him to sign for 4 years worth of peanuts.

We can "force" him to stay one year for a hefty paycheck while we explore our options in FA/Draft this offseason and push that decision to next year.

Signing Prince at 14mill let's other average players believe they can be entitled to that kind of money without earning it..

And tell me how do players who are "forced" to sign,typically play the next season?

Not paying Prince sets an example, that This team will not operate like past teams..Which means Signing and Overpaying for average players is not the answer ... Tom is the captain of this ship now ... No more foolish decisions..

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I see no issues with Franchise tagging Prince.   Our d was nice.   Last thing we need is another hole.  

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:CB's like him are pretty much a "dime a dozen" and his position can be filled either through free agency or the draft.

Our team's history at the position proves otherwise.

Maybe he's not been given his due by fans.  He is better than average.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Give Amukamara, a mediocre non-playmaking #2 CB, a franchise tag worth about $14m?  ...no way.

Aside from the draft, there is a long list of free agent CBs that will do an adequate job, similarly to Prince, without having to overpay to the degree of a franchise tag amount. 

The thing is, just given the market for CBs it's likely that Prince wll garner $9 or $10 mil. ...Spotrac projects his market value at $11 mil.  .,,so one year at $14 mil is not all that much worse while allowing the Jaguars to part ways if need be next year with no dead money. As the article points out, it's not like the Jaguars can't afford the move.

'02

Quote:Signing Prince at 14mill let's other average players believe they can be entitled to that kind of money without earning it..

And tell me how do players who are "forced" to sign,typically play the next season?

Not paying Prince sets an example, that This team will not operate like past teams..Which means Signing and Overpaying for average players is not the answer ... Tom is the captain of this ship now ... No more foolish decisions..

The tag is nothing new, so this mind-set is already in the player's minds. It's business, and they know it, so this shouldn't be a factor.

As for how "forced" players tend to play... well, Darius had his best seasons playing under the tag.

'02

Maybe Khan doesn't want to be known at the owner meetings as the guy who franchises average players and would rather spend it elsewhere like gasoline for his yacht?

Quote:Maybe Khan doesn't want to be known at the owner meetings as the guy who franchises average players and would rather spend it elsewhere like gasoline for his yacht?

As I've mentioned before, and I'm not sure most fans understand it...

If we don't spend up to the cap floor (and we haven't yet that I can remember,) then we are required to arbitrarily hand out cash to our players until we have spent to the cap floor.  That's the "penalty."  It's not a fine, it's a guarantee that our payroll will be a minimum level.  If we're short, we write checks to existing players to make it up.

Quote:As I've mentioned before, and I'm not sure most fans understand it...

If we don't spend up to the cap floor (and we haven't yet that I can remember,) then we are required to arbitrarily hand out cash to our players until we have spent to the cap floor.  That's the "penalty."  It's not a fine, it's a guarantee that our payroll will be a minimum level.  If we're short, we write checks to existing players to make it up.

It's a minimum that must be met over a three year span, and from what Caldwell was saying it sounds like it's really easy to meet the minimum.

'02

Quote:It's a minimum that must be met over a three year span, and from what Caldwell was saying it sounds like it's really easy to meet the minimum.

It's easy because we're writing checks to cover the difference.

It goes up every year.  Three year span or not, it keeps increasing.  So, we keep writing checks to meet it.

Quote:It's easy because we're writing checks to cover the difference.

It goes up every year.  Three year span or not, it keeps increasing.  So, we keep writing checks to meet it.

I'm not buying that we've ever had to write a single such check.

'02

Quote:I'm not buying that we've ever had to write a single such check.

cool

Quote:The thing is, just given the market for CBs it's likely that Prince wll garner $9 or $10 mil. ...Spotrac projects his market value at $11 mil.  .,,so one year at $14 mil is not all that much worse while allowing the Jaguars to part ways if need be next year with no dead money. As the article points out, it's not like the Jaguars can't afford the move.

An $11 million-per-year salary makes him top-8.

No way he gets that much. 

Quote:As I've mentioned before, and I'm not sure most fans understand it...

I have a feeling that free agency in 2017 (and the possible extension of a player or two on their rookie deals) will eliminate that issue this year.  

Quote:I have a feeling that free agency in 2017 (and the possible extension of a player or two on their rookie deals) will eliminate that issue this year.

Couldn't agree more.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2017, 04:36 PM by JackCity.)