Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Intresting point by ESPN on possibly franchising Prince Amukamara

That would be the dumbest thing they could possibly do

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've been out of the loop on football stuff lately (on purpose lol). Does he not want to re-sign here? Is that the reason for the franchise tag being brought up?

Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

Quote:I've been out of the loop on football stuff lately (on purpose lol). Does he not want to re-sign here? Is that the reason for the franchise tag being brought up?

He mentioned in a post-season interview that he'd like to return.  Those type of comments don't always mean much when his agent's phone starts ringing with other offers, however. 

I'd offer him 4 years at 8.25 mil per year, 12 mil up front,  but only about 14-16 mil guaranteed -  and I'd include playing-time incentives required to earn his full salary in each of years 2, 3 and 4. 

If he gets a better deal so be it.  

There's no one else on the roster we are going to be using the Franchise Tag on...

It's a 1 year Salary, and we have just short of infinite space this year.

It doesn't prevent us from Drafting a CB.

It doesn't prevent us from signing a CB in FA.

It doesn't prevent ANY moves.

Who cares that he's "not worth" $14 mil.  We have more than $14 mil in left over space year in and year out.

You Franchise Prince so that your hand is not forced in the Draft or FA. 

All of these other options you guys are throwing out... can ALSO be done if we Franchise Prince.

Personally, I'd like to see them tag Prince, sign a quality CB, and draft another.

That way, you have 3 options to look at going into the season, with Ramsey at CB1, Colvin holding down the Nickle, and the best of Prince/Rookie/FA at CB2, with the others as depth.

Options.  They're great.

PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2017, 02:03 PM by J-Mizzal.)

Quote:So tag him to avoid losing him? I say we just match any offer he gets like what the browns did with Mack 2 yrs ago.. Didnt they somehow match our offer to keep him? Like a franchise light lol

I dont know much about the possible moves. He not worth 14 but i think hes worth 8-9
We can only do that if he is a RFA or if we could put the transition tag on him, but I dont know if he is eligible for it or not.

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Draft is pretty deep this year for CB. I'd like to see the Jags draft one early and use the cap for the trenches. Colvin isn't a scrub he can play outside just fine. Not sure if he fits more at safety, but Desmond King later in the draft would be nice.

Quote:Draft is pretty deep this year for CB. I'd like to see the Jags draft one early and use the cap for the trenches. Colvin isn't a scrub he can play outside just fine. Not sure if he fits more at safety, but Desmond King later in the draft would be nice.
I like Desmond King but I think he is gone by the end of round 2, but we could have around 81 mil in cap space, some needs to be used on a vet CB rather its Prince or somebody else

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote:It's not about the money.

It's about putting the best team on the field and putting the roster in the best position in the long run.

If the rookie earns the starting job by the end of the season, the tag year could be his final year.

If not and Prince continues to play well, then you still only paid big money one year.  You can still walk away if you don't come to terms.

There's really zero to lose by tagging him.  He wouldn't be taking any money from anyone, wouldn't change free agency, and wouldn't change the draft.

I simply can't see any negative in this.
Exactly.

The question is...

Who else would the Jags tag?

No one I can think of.

FA should never dictate your draft, except for adding talent so you don't have to reach for need.

However, perhaps they have a big time FA in mind they want to throw the bank at. 

Quote:Exactly.

The question is...

No one I can think of.

FA should never dictate your draft, except for adding talent so you don't have to reach for need.

However, perhaps they have a big time FA in mind they want to throw the bank at. 

If they land someone else, then there would probably be no need to use the tag anyway.

"overpay?"

So what.  One year.  We could splurge and still be under (like always.)

IIRC we've been under the min and having to give players the "under cap bonus" for years.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2017, 04:55 PM by Yo Boy.)

The question is...

No one I can think of.

Teams not required to franchise tag players, it's just an option in the event a contract can't be worked out.

If he earned 14 mill, then hell yeah sign him.. But he didn't earn it... Just because u have cash don't mean you go blow it.. This just my opinion... But their are other players, cheaper, and just as good we could pay less.

I don't think Prince will dictate the draft ... we have guys capable of filling that void if he leaves.. And the draft and FA, is loaded with cbs.. Will be fine..

Quote:Teams not required to franchise tag players, it's just an option in the event a contract can't be worked out.

If he earned 14 mill, then hell yeah sign him.. But he didn't earn it... Just because u have cash don't mean you go blow it.. This just my opinion... But their are other players, cheaper, and just as good we could pay less.

I don't think Prince will dictate the draft ... we have guys capable of filling that void if he leaves.. And the draft and FA, is loaded with cbs.. Will be fine..

None of the players we have to pay out a bonus because we're under the spending floor earn it, either.

We've had to do that ever since it was implemented.

The question is...

No one I can think of.

Is it really important to tag someone?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2017, 05:04 PM by Yo Boy.)

Quote:None of the players we have to pay out a bonus because we're under the spending floor earn it, either.

We've had to do that ever since it was implemented.

But do we have to sign Prince at that price is the question?? Come on Pirkster you know we can do better for less. And this coming from a guy who likes Prince..

Not the singer.. R.i.p Prince...

The question is...

No one I can think of.

Even if there were... Tagging Prince @ 14mil this season wouldn't prevent us throwing a huge contract... or 2... or 3... if we wanted to.

I just don't understand why people CARE if Prince gets $14mil for one year with the Tag.  It's not like it's your money.  It's not like the team is up against the cap.  It's not like we are tight on funds.

Tagging Prince does NOTHING to hinder this team.  It simply provides an option at CB this year.

Sure, a 4 year deal on the cheap would be great.  Maybe he doesn't want to sign a cheap 4 year deal.  It's not like we can force him to sign for 4 years worth of peanuts.

We can "force" him to stay one year for a hefty paycheck while we explore our options in FA/Draft this offseason and push that decision to next year.

PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

Quote:If they land someone else, then there would probably be no need to use the tag anyway.

"overpay?"

So what.  One year.  We could splurge and still be under (like always.)

IIRC we've been under the min and having to give players the "under cap bonus" for years.

Wouldn't we have to tag him by the time FA starts?

I suppose we could rescind the tag if we sign say Trumaine?

I'm not worried about the money really. But if the choice is Prince or one other top tier FA CB, I'd lean toward 'other'.

But I totally agree with your premise. Tag him, sign someone else, and draft a player... none of them have to change what we do otherwise.

Quote:Teams not required to franchise tag players, it's just an option in the event a contract can't be worked out.

I know teams aren't required to tag.... 14 mil a year seems like a lot for Prince, I kinda agree there. I think at 14 a year you could have a better CB.

I think Prince could sign a short term deal for about 10 mil a year and I'd be OK with it. 

I'd also be OK with letting him walk, if that's the case.

Quote:Is it really important to tag someone?

Nope... never said it was. Was saying is there another player the Jags must tag? No? Then the tag for Prince would be OK.

Quote:Even if there were... Tagging Prince @ 14mil this season wouldn't prevent us throwing a huge contract... or 2... or 3... if we wanted to.

I just don't understand why people CARE if Prince gets $14mil for one year with the Tag.  It's not like it's your money.  It's not like the team is up against the cap.  It's not like we are tight on funds.

Tagging Prince does NOTHING to hinder this team.  It simply provides an option at CB this year.

Sure, a 4 year deal on the cheap would be great.  Maybe he doesn't want to sign a cheap 4 year deal.  It's not like we can force him to sign for 4 years worth of peanuts.

We can "force" him to stay one year for a hefty paycheck while we explore our options in FA/Draft this offseason and push that decision to next year.
I don't care... it isn't my money and I've made that very same argument.

My point about the money is... you don't pay backups 14 mil a year. SOOOO if the Jags get a better DB don't spend on Prince, with Colvin probably locked at CB3

If they pay Prince for 1 year at 14 mil. Fine.

If they sign some other CB at 14 mil yr, I'm good with that.

If they draft a CB in the first 3 rounds, even better.

I just think it wasteful to spend 28 mil a year on two DBs with a fair certainty that one of em won't be on the field enough.

I am torn. I love both Diz and Kane's takes, though opposing.

Here's where the negotiating skills of the FO comes in handy. Avoid a 'reachy' tag, get a deal done even if you overpay slightly. However, you can still tag and get a deal done later, right? So 14 mil doesn't mean 14 mil ultimately. It just means hands off while we weigh options. We may be scrutinizing this too much.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:But do we have to sign Prince at that price is the question?? Come on Pirkster you know we can do better for less. And this coming from a guy who likes Prince..

Not the singer.. R.i.p Prince...

I don't think we "have to" do anything.  It's just an option I'm not opposed to.

For so many years we've gone into the draft saying/thinking "we'll just get a starter in the draft" and it never happens.  We've got too many needs at too many positions right now to worry about landing a starting CB/nickel on top of it all.

Say we go Safety with 1, OT or TE with 2, come back with RB or TE or OT at 3, then that "starter" you thought you'd get at CB still is nowhere to be found and you're already in round 4.  May not get to that, if at all, until even later.

I don't see a problem spending it for a year if it means keeping together what was a solid unit.  Losing a starter means moving CB up the needs chain and creating a problem where you don't need any more problems.

Rather than "jump through stupid hoops" by assigning a tag, just negotiate a deal with him outright.  If he refuses, let him walk.  The "franchise tag" is in place to enable teams to keep premier players.  I wouldn't exactly call Price a "premier player".

Let him negotiate his deal, and if it's not good enough here, let him walk.  CB's like him are pretty much a "dime a dozen" and his position can be filled either through free agency or the draft.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2017, 07:29 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:You really got to stop with the troll discount stuff. Like really.

There is no reason to think that comment is trolling. It is 100% on topic and based on facts.

Quote:So tag him to avoid losing him? I say we just match any offer he gets like what the browns did with Mack 2 yrs ago.. Didnt they somehow match our offer to keep him? Like a franchise light lol

I dont know much about the possible moves. He not worth 14 but i think hes worth 8-9

That is called the transition tag. Another team with enough money could pay him more than we are willing to match.