Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fantasy Football?

"On Monday, New Jersey Democrat Frank Pallone Jr. called for a congressional hearing into the relationship between the NFL and the fantasy leagues that clogged airwaves during this season’s opening weekend."

http://www.progressivestoday.com/democra...-football/

[Image: f2de6d3610642b866edcf76f7f86129a.jpg]

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd support increased disclosure requirements for sites like Draft Kings and FanDuel, which go out of their way to make it look like you can win tons of money without paying a dime (not true), but an outright ban on fantasy football ads? lol no

Quote:I'd support increased disclosure requirements for sites like Draft Kings and FanDuel, which go out of their way to make it look like you can win tons of money without paying a dime (not true), but an outright ban on fantasy football ads? lol no
They are very misleading that's for sure. It's not much different then the ads for those auction sites saying you can win iPad's for $1.39 and what not. Some truth in advertising regulations would be welcomed but then there would be almost no campaign ads for billionaires to buy. 

Quote:They are very misleading that's for sure. It's not much different then the ads for those auction sites saying you can win iPad's for $1.39 and what not. Some truth in advertising regulations would be welcomed but then there would be almost no campaign ads for billionaires to buy. 
Those "penny auction" sites are headed for deep dookie. Because you have to pay for "bids", there's a push to classify them as gambling sites and regulate them as such. One site (Beezid?) has already launched a "marketplace" section to look more like a legitimate commerce site as opposed to a slot machine.

There are also allegations of shill bidders and bid-bots being used at all of the penny auction sites to make sure that there's a profit on every item sold/won. It's a shady corner of the Internet, and one that's going to see regulators drop the hammer on it in the near future.

Quote:I'd support increased disclosure requirements for sites like Draft Kings and FanDuel, which go out of their way to make it look like you can win tons of money without paying a dime (not true), but an outright ban on fantasy football ads? lol no

I found the ads very annoying, and that was just from having to deal with them for the few seconds before I switched channels. That said, I don't think government should get involved. Increased disclosure requirements would probably just result in something like the drug ads where they quickly run through the possible side effects, which I find even more annoying.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

What annoys me is how they're embedded in the sports coverage now. Everything is about "And now Fanduel presents Adam Schefter's week 1 fantasy lineup." then Schefter basically says "I had nothing to do with those picks."

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I found the ads very annoying, and that was just from having to deal with them for the few seconds before I switched channels. That said, I don't think government should get involved. Increased disclosure requirements would probably just result in something like the drug ads where they quickly run through the possible side effects, which I find even more annoying.
I wish they'd take the same approach with TV medical ad disclosures that they do with cigarette package warnings. Print them in big, bold letters on the screen during the ad, and instead of running through eight million disclosures at warp six, just have the V/O talent say something like, "For a full list of side effects, please look at your screen now or visit www..."

For alcohol and e-cigs, a quick five-second disclosure that they're hazardous to your health (maybe longer in the case of e-cigs, which people seem to think are completely safe) would be nice.

For gambling and fantasy sites, forcing the announcer to say something like, "This is a gambling website, and almost all players will lose more than they win. Significant losses are possible. Do not visit this site if you have or have had a gambling problem," would be nice, assuming it had to be said slowly and clearly.

Penny auction sites? Just shut them down. That whole business model is riddled with efforts to dupe consumers out of more and more bids (and more and more money, as a result). If they're not shut down, at least reclassify them as gambling sites, because that's what they are. You blow $300 in bids for the privilege of spending $125 on that tablet, which is a "great deal" because it costs $399 in the store, right?

Quote:What annoys me is how they're embedded in the sports coverage now. Everything is about "And now Fanduel presents Adam Schefter's week 1 fantasy lineup." then Schefter basically says "I had nothing to do with those picks."
I was surprised by how forthright Fox was about it when disclosing Glazer's involvement with Draft Kings live on-air in what amounted to a 30-second commercial during the pre-game show.

So let me get this straight.  A democrat lawmaker is upset by commercials for fantasy football sites during an NFL game, and is now calling for Congressional Hearings regarding exactly what?

Quote: 

“Anyone who watched a game this weekend was inundated by commercials for fantasy sports websites, and it’s only the first week of the NFL season,” Pallone said in a statement. “These sites are enormously popular, arguably central to the fans’ experience, and professional leagues are seeing the enormous profits as a result. Despite how mainstream these sites have become, though, the legal landscape governing these activities remains murky and should be reviewed.”

I realize that there are no other more important pressing matters in Washington D.C.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:So let me get this straight.  A democrat lawmaker is upset by commercials for fantasy football sites during an NFL game, and is now calling for Congressional Hearings regarding exactly what?

I realize that there are no other more important pressing matters in Washington D.C.
Seriously, don't they know there is a 73rd vote to repeal the ACA on deck?

Quote:Seriously, don't they know there is a 73rd vote to repeal the ACA on deck?

Along with the economy, immigration, the crisis in the EU, North Korea, China...

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I find the political ads that will be airing all next year to be more offensive and a misrepresentation of reality more than fanduel/draftkings

Quote:I wish they'd take the same approach with TV medical ad disclosures that they do with cigarette package warnings. Print them in big, bold letters on the screen during the ad, and instead of running through eight million disclosures at warp six, just have the V/O talent say something like, "For a full list of side effects, please look at your screen now or visit www..."

I hear the list and then think "woah! I wonder what drug causes all those side effects" because my brain automatically filters out the rest of the ad.

For alcohol and e-cigs, a quick five-second disclosure that they're hazardous to your health (maybe longer in the case of e-cigs, which people seem to think are completely safe) would be nice.

Are E-cigs really dangerous? I suppose nicotine can be dangerous to some people. AFAIK I've never been around anyone smoking an e-cig. Do they stink like regular cigarettes?

With alcohol the dose makes the danger (same with everything else of course). Moderate amounts of alcohol are beneficial to health.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote: I find the political ads that will be airing all next year to be more offensive and a misrepresentation of reality more than fanduel/draftkings

I do as well.  I was one of the "late" ones that finally ditched my home phone line because of it.  It was not only the ads on tv, but the robo-calls that used to really tick me off.  At least the junk mail with political advertisements can find a quick home in the garbage can.

Quote:I do as well.  I was one of the "late" ones that finally ditched my home phone line because of it.  It was not only the ads on tv, but the robo-calls that used to really tick me off.  At least the junk mail with political advertisements can find a quick home in the garbage can.

I had a landline phone up to this year also, I hate talking on my cell in general, even less at home.  I would always get those robo calls so, eventually I canceled it and bought an obi and just use viop, they're a lot easier to block now lol.  

I get so much rnc garbage in my mail election year it isnt funny, oddly enough not much dnc stuff even though I've been registered for both parties.

Quote:I do as well.  I was one of the "late" ones that finally ditched my home phone line because of it.  It was not only the ads on tv, but the robo-calls that used to really tick me off.  At least the junk mail with political advertisements can find a quick home in the garbage can.
I've still got a land line for work purposes.

It's going away in a week. Along with all the calls from "Microsoft technical support India division" wanting access to my PC so they can run a "scan" on it that dumps dozens of viruses in, then my credit card number to charge me the low, low price of $400 to clean it. Tongue

To me if you have a real draft among friends with a friendly small wager, and strict rules to avoid cheating, it can be an enjoyable thing.

I have seen people take it too far, and gambling can destroy people's lives.

Quote:To me if you have a real draft among friends with a friendly small wager, and strict rules to avoid cheating, it can be an enjoyable thing.

Well, yeah, but I don't think anyone's talking about restricting the ability to have everyone throw $20 in a hat. They're talking about the new breed of "weekly league" fantasy sites that encourage you to throw more and more money in every seven days as opposed to putting down one wager at the beginning of the season.

Quote:<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="TJBender" data-cid="544828" data-time="1442423085">

I wish they'd take the same approach with TV medical ad disclosures that they do with cigarette package warnings. Print them in big, bold letters on the screen during the ad, and instead of running through eight million disclosures at warp six, just have the V/O talent say something like, "For a full list of side effects, please look at your screen now or visit www..."

I hear the list and then think "woah! I wonder what drug causes all those side effects" because my brain automatically filters out the rest of the ad.

Are E-cigs really dangerous? I suppose nicotine can be dangerous to some people. AFAIK I've never been around anyone smoking an e-cig. Do they stink like regular cigarettes?

With alcohol the dose makes the danger (same with everything else of course). Moderate amounts of alcohol are beneficial to health.
</blockquote>

Safe? No nothing is purely safe but they are surely safer than actual cigs and one of the truly effective cessation methods. They however have cut into states tobaco revenue so are now being targeted.

Quote:To me if you have a real draft among friends with a friendly small wager, and strict rules to avoid cheating, it can be an enjoyable thing.

The thing is though, the democrat lawmaker in the OP was more concerned about the ads during football games.

Some people like to gamble, and do so responsibly.  Others take it to the extreme as you pointed out.  However, that is an individual choice that should not be interfered with by big government.

In my mind, this is yet another liberal politician seeing something be successful, and wants to get a "piece of the action" for big government either through regulations or taxes.

Quote:The thing is though, the democrat lawmaker in the OP was more concerned about the ads during football games.

Some people like to gamble, and do so responsibly.  Others take it to the extreme as you pointed out.  However, that is an individual choice that should not be interfered with by big government.

In my mind, this is yet another liberal politician seeing something be successful, and wants to get a "piece of the action" for big government either through regulations or taxes.
I don't think that's it at all, JIB. I think it's a politician recognizing that gambling websites are disguising themselves as fun, free games, when really they're gambling sites designed to get you to spend large amounts of money on "fantasy" sports each week. I don't have any issue with a legislator stepping in to say that those weekly-league fantasy sites need to be honest about what they are--gambling sites--and stop trying to hide behind a "play for free" label.