Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Things I noticed after week 1 (I bet there are a million of these threads)

But bear with me, I want to be a snowflake.

- The offensive line was pretty good early on. It's promising to see them open lanes for the runners.

- Bortles is once again making the same exact mistakes that plagued him last year and it's frustrating. It's only one game, but I think the worst first impression you can possibly give is to throw the game away with almost the same exact rookie mistake pick six that you threw in games prior. Bortles just did not have a good day today and it's extremely discouraging that his woes rear their ugly heads whenever the regular season rolls around

- The defense looked fantastic until, once again, they were out on the field for far too long. Same exact issue that caused them to lose in week 1 last year.

- TJ Yeldon is the real deal, and I'm hoping he's real deal-y enough to reduce Bortles' role

- From an ability standpoint, Marqise Lee is the last bastion of hope as far as #1 receivers go. He needs to get out there and he needs to be healthy, and if he doesn't have it, the Jaguars HAVE to start looking at potential free agent receivers next year.

- I thought Joeckel did okay until he got hurt.

- Rashad Greene needs to be taken off of punt returns. This team can't compete if players are making rookie mistakes at ball handling positions like punt returns.

- Greg Olson needs to change it up. After the pick 6 he absolutely refused to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage. When the receivers aren't expecting the ball, they probably won't catch it when it actually comes to them. This is an issue that started plaguing our receivers with Gabbert as well.

- This team missed Sen'Derrick Marks in the middle. Marks would've had a field day with Newton attempting to scramble up the gut like that.

- Telvin Smith has fantastic ball instincts but his tackling is very inconsistent. He'll be a +100 tackle LB this year just because said instincts will give him that many opportunities but he needs to work on that.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd also like to tool out and bump my own thread while mentioning that this team is still missing a Justin Blackmon-type "everything" threat

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Bortles will never be good due to the fact he doesn't know how to read a defense. Drops don't help, but this has been obvious last regular season and now today.

After watching today's game at Everbank, these are my thoughts on the season:

1. The offense will be unable to score enough points to win most games due to no deep threat to open up the field. I have no expectations that Lee will be anything more than an occasional tease who will miss at least half of each season due to injuries. Robinson and Hurns are number 2 and 3 receivers and nothing more than that.

2. Julius Thomas needs to return soon and stay healthy. He will give Bortles a much needed safety valve and red zone threat. I don't believe this team can generate enough offense to win more than 3 or 4 games without a healthy Thomas.

3. All the positive talk about our defense today on this board is irrational. Carolina has a terrible offense. With the Jaguars lack of pass rush and below average secondary, good quarterbacks will have field days against them. Unfortunately, our best lineman (Marks) cannot be expected to return to last year's form until next season. Fowler's injury was a killer for this defense because neither Branch (when healthy) nor Chris Smith can provide a consistent pass rush.

4. Joeckel is so-so at best, but if he misses significant time, Marrone may need to move Parnell to left tackle or we may lose our q.b. very soon. I don't trust Sam Young at all to protect Bortles' blind side.

5. Gus Bradley may be in danger of not lasting the season. The odds are very likely that they will be winless after 4 games. If Tampa beats them in week 5, Shad Khan may have to do something to appease the fan base. Bradley is a great guy, but his game-day coaching is poor. That time-out he called in the 4th quarter is an example of poor decision making which this team cannot overcome with their overall lack of talent.

6. Despite all the pessimism above, I do believe in Bortles despite his performance today. As long as they have their q.b. of the future, they need to find a more reliable left tackle and number 1 receiver. Caldwell has acquired enough talent at other positions for this team to be competitive once these key positions are improved.

5. Khan needs to do something to build a winning franchise!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

As I said last season, anyone who thinks Blake Bortles is THEE FRANCHISE QB, hasn't paid attention to his mental game. He is cut from the same cloth as Christian Ponder (recently cut by the Raiders) from playing the game between the ears. Like Ponder did both his rookie and 2nd years, Bortles make HUGE mistakes under pressure and he simply doesn't handle pressure well at all........hence he gets rattled very easily and that's when the disasters happen. That is NOT a physical flaw.........it's mental. IMO.........he better find a way to fix that fast or he (and the team) is in serious trouble. If he takes this team and his stats down in flames this season...........it's over for him. His career is gone...........just like Christian Ponders. I see so many similarities here between these two its uncanny. Blake Bortle's main problem is NOT physical........it's whats going on upstairs in the heat of the game. The really great ones not only thrive under pressure, they welcome it. Joe Montana and Tom Brady are probably the best there ever was with the mental side of the game. Peyton is right up there too. Blake Bortles is "light years" from that and the prospects don't look good. But, if he can find a way to put together a string of wins or even dominate performances even in a loss, he might just be OK. All is not lost yet but that clock is ticking.   

We abandoned the run too soon.  Relied on the passing game with unproven receivers who seemed shell shocked from early drops.  When Joeckel went down the passing game shrunk the field.

"puts on my coach hat"

3rd quarter we needed a long drawn out run based drive up the right side of the line.  Get the game in reach give the defense a rest and get the offense in a groove.  We needed to show a physical run game and instead decided we needed a shootout without the ammo.

get us Lee and Thomas back we need more speed on the field.  Gerhart would have been nice on my hypothetical run-based drive

Greg Olsen idk wth you were thinking dialing up 40 passes in a 1 score game still in reach.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine