Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL report: Brandon Albert to Jaguars for a draft pick not Julius Thomas..

Quote:So, wouldn't that mean the trade got us out of the contract.

Depends on who is supposed to pay the guaranteed money.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:We werent cutting him with the contract he had.
its nice to get out of that contract and good to see someone take the bait. I doubt Dave would of made that trade if Tom wasn't here. Tom making possitve moves, good to see. Not to mention the good move by bringing in an upgrade at LT

Quote:its nice to get out of that contract and good to see someone take the bait. I doubt Dave would of made that trade if Tom wasn't here. Tom making positive moves, good to see. Not to mention the good move by bringing in an upgrade at LT

Most of the board thinks moving on with Albert instead of Beachum is a negative move. Caldwell never would have made that trade.

Quote:Most of the board thinks moving on with Albert instead of Beachum is a negative move. Caldwell never would have made that trade.

So u rather be on the hook for 5 years with Beachum huge contract?

Thank you for Tom.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017, 12:43 AM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:Most of the board thinks moving on with Albert instead of Beachum is a negative move. Caldwell never would have made that trade.
So because the board thinks that it's a bad move Caldwell should still be running things still because of it?

Beachum was slightly below average last year. That contract would have made him a top 10 LT in earnings if I remember (I know it's close if not). He wasn't worth that contract. Stack Albert/Beachum up together when each are healthy and Albert is the better play without a doubt. When you add in the fact that we want to focus on running the ball, why would we keep an overpaid LT who is very poor in that aspect? He wasn't a fit for what our team wants to do...so you move on. We found a replacement that is likely an upgrade (when healthy) to Beachum...and we gave basically nothing to get him.

People get to caught up in age. More fans would love this and think Albert is superior in many ways if he wasn't 32 yrs old to Beachum being in his mid 20's. Neither guy is/was likely a long-term answer at the spot. Albert can hold down the fort for a year or two and move inside to OG if he flails out at tackle. If he doesn't work out here, we let go of him and are only down a 7th rd pick in 2018...who cares.

Quote:So because the board thinks that it's a bad move Caldwell should still be running things still because of it?

Beachum was slightly below average last year. That contract would have made him a top 10 LT in earnings if I remember (I know it's close if not). He wasn't worth that contract. Stack Albert/Beachum up together when each are healthy and Albert is the better play without a doubt. When you add in the fact that we want to focus on running the ball, why would we keep an overpaid LT who is very poor in that aspect? He wasn't a fit for what our team wants to do...so you move on. We found a replacement that is likely an upgrade (when healthy) to Beachum...and we gave basically nothing to get him.

All last season I complained about our run blocking. However, it is important to avoid a tradeoff at LT because that is the most important position for pass blocking, which Kelvin Beachum was better at.

Quote:People get to caught up in age. More fans would love this and think Albert is superior in many ways if he wasn't 32 yrs old to Beachum being in his mid 20's. Neither guy is/was likely a long-term answer at the spot. Albert can hold down the fort for a year or two and move inside to OG if he flails out at tackle. If he doesn't work out here, we let go of him and are only down a 7th rd pick in 2018...who cares.

Age is not the big issue here. It is his medical records. Kelvin Beachum missed five quarters last year. That is almost nothing for an offensive lineman. If you don't have a good backup LT, you need a guy who can play at least 15 games.

Quote:its nice to get out of that contract and good to see someone take the bait. I doubt Dave would of made that trade if Tom wasn't here. Tom making possitve moves, good to see. Not to mention the good move by bringing in an upgrade at LT

I'm having trouble seeing how Tom impacts this trade.. Securing the Left Tackle has always been a priority of Dave Caldwell and Dave is a fairly aggressive GM

Dave still has a job to do and although Tom is his boss, I'm not sure Tom is over his shoulder telling him how to do it, or else Dave would have been fired.

Quote:I'm having trouble seeing how Tom impacts this trade.. Securing the Left Tackle has always been a priority of Dave Caldwell and Dave is a fairly aggressive GM

Dave still has a job to do and although Tom is his boss, I'm not sure Tom is over his shoulder telling him how to do it, or else Dave would have been fired.

Tom is Dave's supervisor and controls the 53-men roster. Dave said last year he did not want Alex Mack because of his age (31). So it could only be Tom's decision any way you look at it.

Quote:Age is not the big issue here. It is his medical records. Kelvin Beachum missed five quarters last year. That is almost nothing for an offensive lineman. If you don't have a good backup LT, you need a guy who can play at least 15 games.

Being healthy is great, but so is production/playing well. That's not something Beachum did. You aren't going to be rewarded with a long-term deal if you don't play well. TC/Caldwell/Marrone likely have dug deep into Alberts tape and watched probably every NFL game and multiple college games and think he will bring much better production/play up to his contract.

Is health a worry? Of course...but they have the draft and FA to bring in quality depth behind him in case he goes down for a couple games. I'll take the 10-12 very solid games from Albert over 15 mediocre/below average games from Beachum myself.

Not to mention, this is all about philophy. If you want to run and pound the ball, you don't keep a guy on the OL that is very poor in that regard. If he doesn't do things the way you want, you let him go.

Quote:Tom is Dave's supervisor and controls the 53-men roster. Dave said last year he did not want Alex Mack because of his age (31). So it could only be Tom's decision any way you look at it.
Dave is a win now or gtfo mode. I highly doubt age matters much at all for him now. If we don't start turning things around, he's gone in the next year or two. If we want to start going for the playoffs than who the hell cares how old they are if they present an upgrade. You have no idea if Caldwell has changed his tune in that regard.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017, 01:19 AM by The_Franchise_QB.)

Quote:So u rather be on the hook for 5 years with Beachum huge contract?

Thank you for Tom.
Beachums contract was really a 5 year contract with annual options. The first year was a "prove it" type year on his contract because the money was so low compared to the following years. Every single year in his contract the Jags had the option to pick it up, so they could have just gone with Beach just for this next season but opted not to. 

EDIT-Scratch that, read conflicting reports. Not really sure what his contract was. Some report it was an annual contract, some report it would have kicked in about 13-18mill in guarantees. 

Peace out Beach. 

Thomas got caught up in the numbers. This is why we moved him.

Not a surprising move. We now have a T.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017, 01:16 AM by GlockBortles.)

Thomas is an average tight end that hasnt done anything since denver. Hell be more productive in Miami sure, thats what happens when you go from bad quarterback to good quarterback. But this is his value as it stands. We didnt get fleeced because he isnt worth anything to us anyway.

It doesn't matter where Thomas goes if he stays fat and slow.

The trade is not a good or bad move. Let's be honest with ourselves and look at this trade from the expanded outlook. Beachum and Thomas are not premium players.

Beachum showed no improvement or indication that he could become a player worth the value of his extended contract. Beachum's production was/is replaceable.

Thomas was expectantly disappointing after his inflated seasons with Peyton Manning and it would not have been a surprise to see him released

Tight End and Tackle were both distant needs for this team and not a high priority. I see two replaceable guys there who were not core pieces with imbalanced contracts in relation to talent.

Thomas was unexpectedly disappointing as he was overpaid based on his inflated production with Peyton Manning 

Brandon Albert was a hot prospect coming into the league and has had a 

Albert becomes available and the Dolphins and Jaguars see a way both teams can benefit on bad contacts.

Ultimately, and this is the craziest part, for me this is a really nominal trade with interesting components however when it comes to the talent being discussed, it's sort of irrelevant because the players are not very good. I am going to guarantee (using my Skip Bayless impersonation) that the draft choices acquired in the trade will have more impact than Albert and Thomas will in the next two seasons. 

Albert is not a solution to the Left Tackle position, it is a solution to a bad contract. 

Quote:Tom is Dave's supervisor and controls the 53-men roster. Dave said last year he did not want Alex Mack because of his age (31). So it could only be Tom's decision any way you look at it.

Again, how does being his boss impact the trade?

Was DC making paper airplanes when Tom marched into his office? I'm guessing Coughlin must have thrown a chair at DC demanding him to make a trade for an injury proned Tackle with a hefty contract? 

We chose not to pursue Mack because of Branodn Linder

Can we get rid of the mystic aura surrounding Tom Coughlin? I'm very happy to have Tom back in an administrative role, however this does not suddenly make Tom a micromanaging fairy that fixes all things for good overnight. Dave Caldwell is still Dave Calwell and his job is not changing outside of the management structure. 

Quote:Beachums contract was really a 5 year contract with annual options. The first year was a "prove it" type year on his contract because the money was so low compared to the following years. Every single year in his contract the Jags had the option to pick it up, so they could have just gone with Beach just for this next season but opted not to. 

EDIT-Scratch that, read conflicting reports. Not really sure what his contract was. Some report it was an annual contract, some report it would have kicked in about 13-18mill in guarantees. 

Peace out Beach. 

It was a prove-it year plus a four-year option. We would have been locked in all four years.

Quote:Again, how does being his boss impact the trade?

Was DC making paper airplanes when Tom marched into his office? I'm guessing Coughlin must have thrown a chair at DC demanding him to make a trade for an injury proned Tackle with a hefty contract? 

We chose not to pursue Mack because of Branodn Linder

Can we get rid of the mystic aura surrounding Tom Coughlin? I'm very happy to have Tom back in an administrative role, however this does not suddenly make Tom a micromanaging fairy that fixes all things for good overnight. Dave Caldwell is still Dave Calwell and his job is not changing outside of the management structure. 

Did you miss he "controls 53 men roster" part?