Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Great SI article on why young offensive tackles are struggling in the league (written by Doug Farrar)

The gist of the article is the spread offenses in college have become a detriment to the development of offensive lineman and QB's. Most of the tackles drafted high (Joeckel, Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews etc..) have to learn a whole new technique once they enter the league, I think you guys will enjoy this.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/09/mythbus...ad-offense

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2015, 09:29 AM by RicoTx.)

Quote:The gist of the article is the spread offenses in college have become a detriment to the development of offensive lineman and QB's. Most of the tackles drafted high (Joeckel, Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews etc..) have to learn a whole new technique once they enter the league, I think you guys will enjoy this.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/09/09/mythbus...ad-offense

I said this exact thing in one of the Joeckel threads.  

Not only is their development hindered, it makes evaluation of the position much more difficult.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

so what if these linemen play for Chip Kelly?  Would they then suddenly play better?

Quote:I said this exact thing in one of the Joeckel threads.  

Not only is their development hindered, it makes evaluation of the position much more difficult.

Yep, I'm not one to make excuses but the Jaguar really have to let this thing ride out with Luke, he needs time. Between learning a new technique, breaking his ankle, not having an Oline coach due to cancer etc... has stalled his development. I have a feeling he'll be playing much better as the year goes on, Doug Marrone is regarded as one of the better o line coaches in the league.

Should NFL stop being old school and every team should just adopt the amateur spread offense? The extinction of the immobile, smart, strong arm, drop back passer, for short, skinny, athletic, first read, weak armed throwers.

Quote:so what if these linemen play for Chip Kelly?  Would they then suddenly play better?

It's possible, although they still have to learn a new technique. The Eagles offensive line is full of athletic freaks in Jason Kelce, Jason Peters, and Lane Johnson. Those guys move really well for big men, Peters is one of the best athletes in the league.

Quote:Yep, I'm not one to make excuses but the Jaguar really have to let this thing ride out with Luke, he needs time. Between learning a new technique, breaking his ankle, not having an Oline coach due to cancer etc... has stalled his development. I have a feeling he'll be playing much better as the year goes on, Doug Marrone is regarded as one of the better o line coaches in the league.

Meh…I wouldn’t go that far.  I hope Joeckel works out.  We’ll see.

I’m just saying that all of the college offense aren’t doing linemen (and QBs) any favors as far as development for the pros.  Then again, that’s not really the college coach’s job.  Is it?  He’s really there to win games, draw in more recruits, and make his employer money.

Quote:Meh…I wouldn’t go that far.  I hope Joeckel works out.  We’ll see.

I’m just saying that all of the college offense aren’t doing linemen (and QBs) any favors as far as development for the pros.  Then again, that’s not really the college coach’s job.  Is it?  He’s really there to win games, draw in more recruits, and make his employer money.

I think Luke can turn into an above average serviceable left tackle, that's certainly not what you're looking for when you take a guy that high, I understand that. Teams are better off signing a proven commodity in free agency (like the Cardinals did with Jared Veldheer) or taking a developmental guy later in the draft.

Quote:Should NFL stop being old school and every team should just adopt the amateur spread offense? The extinction of the immobile, smart, strong arm, drop back passer, for short, skinny, athletic, first read, weak armed throwers.

Well, if it wins games, then yes they should.

Quote:Should NFL stop being old school and every team should just adopt the amateur spread offense? The extinction of the immobile, smart, strong arm, drop back passer, for short, skinny, athletic, first read, weak armed throwers.

No

;

;

bottom line: beat the man in front of you.  All the other stuff is just noise.

He's a professional who was drafted 2 overall right? Can he do his job or not? I don't understand the excuses. This is year 3. Show us you can not be pushed aside, literally, and beat the guy that's trying g to kill your QB.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

I feel like the NFL should go the other direction and allow for more contact in practice, as well as bring back some more bump-and-run allowances in games. Players need to get used to contact, although not necessarily tackling to the ground, in order to get proficient in... wait for it... contact. Jolting a charging Defensive Lineman or blitzing Linebacker takes skill, skill that is developed from knowing what it feels like when your hands impact another player. RIght now, the NFL isn't set up for allowing the players to learn these things at a very fast rate.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:bottom line: beat the man in front of you.  All the other stuff is just noise.

Yea because it's that simple, don't be so dense. You don't find it odd that almost every tackle selected high over the past few years hasn't performed well? There's a clearly a developmental issue going on at the college level, teams will have to adjust their draft boards because of it, selecting a tackle that high in the draft isn't worth the risk.

Quote:He's a professional who was drafted 2 overall right? Can he do his job or not? I don't understand the excuses. This is year 3. Show us you can not be pushed aside, literally, and beat the guy that's trying g to kill your QB.

I'm curious. Who are we making 'excuses' for? I see a lot of names mentioned in this thread and article for that matter. So who are we making excuses for?

Heads must roll dammit!!! Heads must roll!!

Quote: Jolting a charging Defensive Lineman or blitzing Linebacker takes skill
MJD hit on Merriman.  Classic.

Quote:I'm curious. Who are we making 'excuses' for? I see a lot of names mentioned in this thread and article for that matter. So who are we making excuses for?

Heads must roll dammit!!! Heads must roll!!

I am upset! I demand something be done to assuage my anger! Make me feel better!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I feel like the NFL should go the other direction and allow for more contact in practice, as well as bring back some more bump-and-run allowances in games. Players need to get used to contact, although not necessarily tackling to the ground, in order to get proficient in... wait for it... contact. Jolting a charging Defensive Lineman or blitzing Linebacker takes skill, skill that is developed from knowing what it feels like when your hands impact another player. RIght now, the NFL isn't set up for allowing the players to learn these things at a very fast rate.
Honestly, I think it's kind of a 'perfect storm' thing.  The college offenses are hurting linemen being developed for the professional game.  Then the CBA prevents it from being worked on the way that it needs to.  

I guess I understand the reasoning behind it, but this is kind of a 'watered down' version of the NFL that I grew up with.

Quote:I am upset! I demand something be done to assuage my anger! Make me feel better!

How about a beer?

A reasonable article for unreasonable fans.

Huh